FitnessBanter.com

-   General (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Situps and pushups (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=24753)

meirman December 5th 04 03:19 AM

Situps and pushups

On tv over the last year, whenever anyone does push-ups or sit-ups,
they do wimpy ones. They don't lower their chest or their back,
respectively, to the floor. This makes them much easier to do.

Is tv promoting wimpism, or has there been a determination that the
old, difficult methods can cause harm?

Should I continue to do my exercises the way I was taught in JHS?

I'm getting back in shape. I've lost 51 pounds (and maybe 8 inches
off my waist) and it's time I started exercising (beyond walking and
some physical work).

Crossposted. Could you please say what group you are replying from,
so I can read what else you have to say?

(I have maybe 29 pounds to go to my original maximum goal weight.
I'll reevaluate when I get there. The absolute most I have to lose is
45 more pounds, but I don't think I want to do that.)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Manco December 5th 04 04:01 AM

meirman wrote:
On tv over the last year, whenever anyone does push-ups or sit-ups,
they do wimpy ones. They don't lower their chest or their back,
respectively, to the floor. This makes them much easier to do.

Don't pay attention to the TV, unless it's a certified fitness instructor on
TV or you have a fitness DVD on.

Is tv promoting wimpism, or has there been a determination that the
old, difficult methods can cause harm?

Who cares? Just do the correct exercises.
Should I continue to do my exercises the way I was taught in JHS?

Of course. Pushups have to be all the way to the ground and up, straight
back, and slow reps to get the proper contraction. Situps are more
complicated as they're really ab exercises and there are a variety of leg
positions you could take with this. Refer to Pilates.

I'm getting back in shape. I've lost 51 pounds (and maybe 8 inches
off my waist) and it's time I started exercising (beyond walking and
some physical work).

Great work.

Steve Freides December 6th 04 03:42 AM

"meirman" wrote in message
On tv over the last year, whenever anyone does push-ups or sit-ups,
they do wimpy ones. They don't lower their chest or their back,
respectively, to the floor. This makes them much easier to do.

Is tv promoting wimpism, or has there been a determination that the
old, difficult methods can cause harm?

Should I continue to do my exercises the way I was taught in JHS?

I'm getting back in shape. I've lost 51 pounds (and maybe 8 inches
off my waist) and it's time I started exercising (beyond walking and
some physical work).

Crossposted. Could you please say what group you are replying from,
so I can read what else you have to say?

(I have maybe 29 pounds to go to my original maximum goal weight.
I'll reevaluate when I get there. The absolute most I have to lose is
45 more pounds, but I don't think I want to do that.)

Keep up the good work! The best exercise program is the one you perform
consistently and without injury, so whatever works for you is great. As
time goes on, you'll probably want to try exercises that are harder for
each repetition and of which you do fewer repetitions, but there is no
need to hurry in that direction if you're content and making progress.
Enjoy your success, report back when you plateau and need to try
something different.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Blair P. Houghton December 6th 04 04:15 AM

Manco wrote:
Should I continue to do my exercises the way I was taught in JHS?

Of course. Pushups have to be all the way to the ground and up, straight
back, and slow reps to get the proper contraction.

Have to?

The U.S. Army teaches pushups go as low as horizontal
upper arms. Not all the way to the ground.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with extending your range
of motion when exercising.

But "have to" is kind of subjective.

--Blair
"What you get out is something like
what you put in. Plus bigger muscles."

Roy Schestowitz December 6th 04 05:19 AM

meirman wrote:

On tv over the last year, whenever anyone does push-ups or sit-ups,
they do wimpy ones. They don't lower their chest or their back,
respectively, to the floor. This makes them much easier to do.

Yes. There are certain types of motion that are harmful to the back. In the
long run, this can cause serious aches. If you find it easy, do it more
slowly. A common mistake is doing it as quickly as possible rather than 3-5
seconds per repetition. You can also add weight resistance.

Remember: your body _feels_, it does not _count_.

Is tv promoting wimpism, or has there been a determination that the
old, difficult methods can cause harm?

I'm pretty sure that's the case.

I'm getting back in shape. I've lost 51 pounds (and maybe 8 inches
off my waist) and it's time I started exercising (beyond walking and
some physical work).

Well done!

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Manco December 6th 04 05:31 AM

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Manco wrote:
Should I continue to do my exercises the way I was taught in JHS?

Of course. Pushups have to be all the way to the ground and up,
straight back, and slow reps to get the proper contraction.

Have to?

The U.S. Army teaches pushups go as low as horizontal
upper arms. Not all the way to the ground.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with extending your range
of motion when exercising.

But "have to" is kind of subjective.

well, the lower you go the harder each pushup is, the better results you
get. I speak about it, because I do it.

Renegade5 December 7th 04 12:56 AM

Well... that's the thing with body-weight exercises - you need to be
able to modify them to allow for different levels.

I suspect that's that audience that those push-ups are aimed at - the
group that is advanced enough to do them on their toes (rather than
their knees) but not to the level of doing the full dip.

BTW, after the full dip there are a number of more advanced push-ups.
In addition to changing the hand positions, there the Atlas Push-up
(done between two chairs) to get an ever greater range of motion,
there's the push-up with feet elevated, and then of course there's the
Hindu Push-up.

Blair P. Houghton December 7th 04 03:12 AM

Manco wrote:
Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Manco wrote:
Should I continue to do my exercises the way I was taught in JHS?

Of course. Pushups have to be all the way to the ground and up,
straight back, and slow reps to get the proper contraction.

Have to?

The U.S. Army teaches pushups go as low as horizontal
upper arms. Not all the way to the ground.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with extending your range
of motion when exercising.

But "have to" is kind of subjective.

well, the lower you go the harder each pushup is, the better results you
get. I speak about it, because I do it.

"Harder" is subjective, too. As are "better results."

--Blair
"Depends on what you want."

[email protected] December 9th 04 03:14 PM

I suggest that you try the Charles Atlas Course

http://www.charlesatlas.com/
Good Luck

Rigoberto Muniz
http://home.earthlink.net/~muniz1/