FitnessBanter.com

-   Walking in the UK (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Scottish Highlands (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16020)

The Reids June 29th 04 11:49 AM

Scottish Highlands

Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?
Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso

Peter Clinch June 29th 04 12:27 PM

Scottish Highlands

The Reids wrote:
Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?

Technically it'll be north of the Highland Boundary Fault. Arran is at
one end of it and it runs across Loch Lomond to about Dunkeld and then
around Stonehaven on the E coast.

Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"

Don't see why not.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Chris Gilbert June 29th 04 04:26 PM

Scottish Highlands

The Reids wrote

Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?
Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"

It's usually the Highlands and Islands. Islands is broken down
into Shetland, Orkney, Outer Hebrides, Inner Hebrides, Skye and Mull
and Highlands is broken down into Western Highlands above the Great Glen
and the Central Highlands below. Cairngorms is often regarded as separate
group.

AFAIK

But there are other smaller areas often identified by the rivers that
drain out of them (eg. Tarf, Feshie, Coe) or discrete geographical group
(eg. Mamores, Lawers, Cairnwell, Trossachs etc)

Chris

RJ Webb June 29th 04 05:26 PM

Scottish Highlands

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:49:11 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Where do they end? Is it just all the "continuous" mountains
north and west starting from Arran in the west?
Can I correctly add pictures of Arran, Jura and Mull of Kintyre
to my photo page "Scottish Highlands"

Achill Island Co. Mayo

The Highland boundary fault then disappearsunder the Atlantic for
good. Catches a lot of Donegal, fetches up in Scotland at
Machrihanish, Kintyre, ironically putting the rough hilly bit of the
peninsula in the "lowlands", crosses Arran and up to Helensburgh, Loch
Lomond, and the familiar line beyond.

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

Richard Webb

The Reids June 30th 04 09:38 AM

Scottish Highlands

Following up to RJ Webb

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

You drive through the Highlands to get there! Driving north with
the sea and Arrran on my right I found it hard to accept Glasgow
was behind it rather than America. :-)

Craven June 30th 04 10:59 AM

Scottish Highlands

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , The Reids
writes
Following up to RJ Webb

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

You drive through the Highlands to get there! Driving north with
the sea and Arrran on my right I found it hard to accept Glasgow
was behind it rather than America. :-)

Eh? If you were driving north how could Arran be anywhere but to the
*east* of you?

?

Bob Mannix June 30th 04 12:06 PM

Scottish Highlands

"Craven" wrote in message

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , The Reids
writes
Following up to RJ Webb

Mull of Kintyre - not geographically highland, but everyone considers
it to be culturally... Stick them all under Highland.

You drive through the Highlands to get there! Driving north with
the sea and Arrran on my right I found it hard to accept Glasgow
was behind it rather than America. :-)

Eh? If you were driving north how could Arran be anywhere but to the
*east* of you?

Well, if you were driving north on the A78 past Troon for example, when it
would be to the west of you with America "behind" it. As opposed to driving
north on the B842 in the Carradale forest when, as the Reids presumably
found, it was to the east.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

The Reids June 30th 04 12:57 PM

Scottish Highlands

Following up to Craven

You drive through the Highlands to get there! Driving north with
the sea and Arrran on my right I found it hard to accept Glasgow
was behind it rather than America. :-)

Eh? If you were driving north how could Arran be anywhere but to the
*east* of you?

?

Driving north, Arran would normally be in the west, but if you're
driving south, lets say, Campletown - London, you're actually
heading north for the first 100 or so miles and Arran is on your
right (eastern) side. I would imagine for every person who sees
Arran from the west, a thousand see it from the east[1] and its
unusual to drive north when going south. Hence it seems odd when
heading for London to have the sea, Arran and Glasgow on the
right (probably less so if you're doing the navigating). In fact
if you could see it Arran would be on your right (but not east)
for the first couple of hundred miles of the journey.

1] I'm assuming you can see Arran from places like Ayr?

John Laird June 30th 04 01:51 PM

Scottish Highlands

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:57:13 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

1] I'm assuming you can see Arran from places like Ayr?

Only when it isn't raining. Or about to rain. Or just stopped raining.

Hmm, make that "no" then...

--
ZenCrafters - Total Enlightenment in about an hour.

Mail john rather than nospam...

The Reids June 30th 04 01:56 PM

Scottish Highlands

Following up to John Laird

1] I'm assuming you can see Arran from places like Ayr?

Only when it isn't raining. Or about to rain. Or just stopped raining.

Hmm, make that "no" then...

Know what you mean all too well, but that trip, ten days, wet
days....1.
--
Mike Reid
Hebridean photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk/skyepics.htm"