FitnessBanter.com

-   Running (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ironman Timex GPS Watch (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12035)

VITOdelapata February 2nd 04 10:19 PM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Has anyone used the Ironman Triathalon GPS watch model 3501? It gives
you distance, time and speed. Just curious about quality and limitations.
Wal-Mart has them at a reasonable price.

--
R.Robinson
rrockslideATearthlink.net

Mikey February 3rd 04 01:19 AM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Hi... I'm selling mine (I'm in the UK)

Even though it works superbly well I find the wearing the GPS unit on my arm
or waist a little uncomfortable. I did a 4 Miler & a 8 Mile run and kept
having to adjust the thing. I know many people don't have a problem with it
but it's just not for me.

Unfortunately, I couldn't try before I bought it and it's okay for a mile or
so but it just got too irritating for me. Anyway, I decided to sell now as
new rather than wait! Only bought it last Wednesday!

It's currently on ebay:

Regards,

Mike

ink.net...

Jimmie February 3rd 04 05:45 AM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Hi
I have had mine for just about a year. Have not had a problem with arm
band. The one fault I have are the very sketchy instructions. Another
problem I have is that I run early in the morning and can't read the watch
readouts; i.e pace or mileage accumulated. This watch has come down in price
because they have a new watch out which includes a HRM.

VITOdelapata February 3rd 04 03:38 PM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Hey thanks for the responses. I have ordered one and thought I would get
feed back on its performance. If it is not up to par, I can always send it
back. All of my runs involve hills and mountains. There are very few flat
spots to run. I measure out certain distances with my car, 12, 15 and 20
miles but would like a more accurate way to do this. The one I ordered did
not have the HRM strap with it. Wal-mart has them for $138.

--
R.R
rrockslideATearthlink.net

Scott Williams February 3rd 04 07:19 PM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

VITOdelapata wrote:
All of my runs involve hills and mountains. There are very few flat
spots to run. I measure out certain distances with my car, 12, 15 and 20
miles but would like a more accurate way to do this.

Important bit of info there. A GPS unit requires 4 signals to give you
credit for altitude gained or lost. Based on measurements I've taken
with my Timex, I'm thinking that it only catches 3 signals, as I come up
short on distance for my hilly workouts, and I'm a flatlander. It seems
to be remarkably consistent with my cyclometer (which is pretty
accurate) on the flats.

I'd be curious to know, in fact, how many signals the Timex uses.

Scott

[email protected] February 3rd 04 08:29 PM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Scott Williams wrote:
VITOdelapata wrote:
All of my runs involve hills and mountains. There are very few flat
spots to run. I measure out certain distances with my car, 12, 15 and 20
miles but would like a more accurate way to do this.

Important bit of info there. A GPS unit requires 4 signals to give you
credit for altitude gained or lost. Based on measurements I've taken
with my Timex, I'm thinking that it only catches 3 signals, as I come up
short on distance for my hilly workouts, and I'm a flatlander. It seems
to be remarkably consistent with my cyclometer (which is pretty
accurate) on the flats.

I'd be curious to know, in fact, how many signals the Timex uses.

I've heard three. That's anecdotal, however.

I keep eyeing the Garmin Forerunner 201 though, the price and
accuracy is pretty appealing.

-jeremy

+================================================= ===============+
Jeremy Hallum, System Manager , Astronomy, University of Michigan

"Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"

Donovan Rebbechi February 3rd 04 10:45 PM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

In article , Scott Williams wrote:
VITOdelapata wrote:
All of my runs involve hills and mountains. There are very few flat
spots to run. I measure out certain distances with my car, 12, 15 and 20
miles but would like a more accurate way to do this.

Important bit of info there. A GPS unit requires 4 signals to give you
credit for altitude gained or lost.

That makes almost no difference, unless you want an elevation profile, but a
GPS will do a pretty bad job at that too (at least as far as running is
concerned)

Based on measurements I've taken
with my Timex, I'm thinking that it only catches 3 signals, as I come up
short on distance for my hilly workouts, and I'm a flatlander. It seems
to be remarkably consistent with my cyclometer (which is pretty
accurate) on the flats.

I think the errors have nothing to do with the hills. They are more likely to
have something to do with how straight the road/course is (maybe you're going
back and forth in your hill workouts, and it's slicing off distance on your
turnarounds, or maybe the road isn't that straight up the hill) or the quality
of satellite reception. If you only get 3 satellites, it *will* adversely
affect the accuracy of the unit.

FWIW, I have a regular GPS unit, and unless you're on fairly straight roads,
it's not all that accurate. It's good enough for logging milage, but you
wouldn't want to use it to measure your speed.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Phil M. February 4th 04 02:11 AM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

wrote in :

Scott Williams wrote:
VITOdelapata wrote:
All of my runs involve hills and mountains. There are very few flat
spots to run. I measure out certain distances with my car, 12, 15
and 20 miles but would like a more accurate way to do this.

Important bit of info there. A GPS unit requires 4 signals to give
you credit for altitude gained or lost. Based on measurements I've
taken with my Timex, I'm thinking that it only catches 3 signals, as
I come up short on distance for my hilly workouts, and I'm a
flatlander. It seems to be remarkably consistent with my cyclometer
(which is pretty accurate) on the flats.

I'd be curious to know, in fact, how many signals the Timex uses.

I've heard three. That's anecdotal, however.

I keep eyeing the Garmin Forerunner 201 though, the price and
accuracy is pretty appealing.

Three is correct. I bought the Garmin Forerunner 201 a few weeks ago for
$124 at Amazon.com. So far, I love it. It's probably within 20 feet
accuracy (just a guess, havn't tested this). The only thing that isn't as
accurate is the "real time" measurment, such as current pace or speed and
hill grade. In order to get a good reading on pace, you should only look
at your average pace, or your lap pace. I have mine set to count a lap
every mile, so this is pretty accurate. A few times it had trouble
picking up a signal at the start of my run, so it wasn't logging any
miles for a while, just elapsed time. Now I'm careful to make sure it has
a signal before I start my run. But the pleasure of not having to measure
my routes is pretty neat. Just head out the door and run anywhere.

-Phil

Dot February 4th 04 02:28 AM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

wrote:

I keep eyeing the Garmin Forerunner 201 though, the price and
accuracy is pretty appealing.

Here's another forerunner review.
http://www.eskimo.com/~joelm/forerunner201.htm

check out the image partway down - the ultimate for geeks ;) (at least
with present gadgets - probably be in one gadget some day)

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

glenn February 4th 04 03:16 AM

Ironman Timex GPS Watch

check out the image partway down - the ultimate for geeks ;) (at least
with present gadgets - probably be in one gadget some day)

Excellent review, and thanks for the link. A couple of things that
Joel did not address though -- does it have a backlight feature and if
so, how is the clarity in the dark? How long does it take to get a
signal and does it lose its signal at all?