FitnessBanter.com

-   General (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How can I tell a sore ab from other problems like appendicitis? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=33077)

collins August 8th 05 04:36 PM

How can I tell a sore ab from other problems like appendicitis?

I did a bunch of situps yesterday and now there is a spot near my
belly button that's sore.. I can point to it. Is it a muscle soreness
or something else inside?
Has anyone actually experienced appendicitis and can it be
exercise-induced?
Thanks
A.C.

Cyli August 9th 05 04:17 AM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 09:36:00 -0500, collins
wrote:

I did a bunch of situps yesterday and now there is a spot near my
belly button that's sore.. I can point to it. Is it a muscle soreness
or something else inside?
Has anyone actually experienced appendicitis and can it be
exercise-induced?
Thanks
A.C.

Hernia? Definitely can be exercise induced or exacerbated. If it
continues or you start barfing or have your temperature go up, see a
doctor at once.

Appendicitis is pretty easy. Put your hand on your waist with the
thumb to the back of the body. Spread your fingers with the middle
finger pointing to the groin area. Push in your middle finger hard.
If you feel a lot of pain, it's probably appendicitis. If not, it
still may be, but not likely. Take your temperature. If it's
elevated, that's a sign of it, too.

BTW, if you can't tell the difference between muscle soreness and
something in real injury, like a torn ligament or internal injury or
whatever, you have never exercised much and should be starting out
very slowly.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Steve Freides August 9th 05 02:40 PM

"collins" wrote in message
I did a bunch of situps yesterday and now there is a spot near my
belly button that's sore.. I can point to it. Is it a muscle soreness
or something else inside?
Has anyone actually experienced appendicitis and can it be
exercise-induced?

Highly unlikely. Appendicitis is an infection, which means it's usually
accompanied by a low-grade fever. As it progress, the ache in the belly
gradually localizes itself to the lower right. If you've already got a
sore spot, and your discomfort isn't localizing itself further, it's
pretty unlikely it's your appendix.

I'm not a doctor - this is just what my doctor told me as I was trying
to figure out if I had appendicitis, which was shortly before they
removed my infected appendiex. :)

You could, however, have injured something - see how it feels in a day
or three and start up again easy. No situps in the meantime.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Thanks
A.C.

collins August 9th 05 06:34 PM

wrote:

I did a bunch of situps yesterday and now there is a spot near my
belly button that's sore.. I can point to it. Is it a muscle soreness
or something else inside?
Has anyone actually experienced appendicitis and can it be
exercise-induced?
Thanks
A.C.

Hernia? Definitely can be exercise induced or exacerbated. If it
continues or you start barfing or have your temperature go up, see a
doctor at once.

Appendicitis is pretty easy. Put your hand on your waist with the
thumb to the back of the body. Spread your fingers with the middle
finger pointing to the groin area. Push in your middle finger hard.
If you feel a lot of pain, it's probably appendicitis. If not, it
still may be, but not likely. Take your temperature. If it's
elevated, that's a sign of it, too.

Thank you for sharing this information!

collins August 9th 05 06:39 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:40:04 -0400, "Steve Freides"
wrote:

"collins" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I think I did something... I had the same sensation below the right
rib cage a few months ago after some weightlifting, and it really hurt
at night. Finally I went to see a doc and was given a muscle relaxant,
but someone told me to try a heating pad instead. So I did - Within a
day or so, the pain was gone!

I am not going to do anything to the abdomen until it goes away. I am
just not familiar with abdominal pain and soreness.

Thanks again!

Steve Freides August 10th 05 12:59 PM

"collins" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:40:04 -0400, "Steve Freides"
wrote:

"collins" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If a heating pad made the pain go away in a day, my guess is that you
just cramped a muscle. Ab cramps aren't a whole lot of fun - I speak
from personal experience. :( I've also actually pulled an ab muscle and
that took a few months to heal.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Prelyudia June 22nd 14 01:11 PM

I think that*this information is*the best.