FitnessBanter.com

-   Walking in the UK (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=40825)

Al D May 30th 06 08:54 PM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

Can anyone suggest a *very lightweight* but comfortable folding chair?
I'm looking for something that weights only 2kg at most. 1 kg would be
better. The chair needs to be reasonably comfortable. Seat needs to be
off the ground. Must have a backrest. I need it for backpacking
trips.

Thank you.

Al D

Fran May 30th 06 10:55 PM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

said...
Can anyone suggest a *very lightweight* but comfortable folding chair?
I'm looking for something that weights only 2kg at most. 1 kg would be
better. The chair needs to be reasonably comfortable. Seat needs to be
off the ground. Must have a backrest. I need it for backpacking
trips.

The Thermarest chair has already been mentioned in response to this in
uk.rec.camping.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

Al D May 30th 06 11:11 PM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

On Tue, 30 May 2006 22:55:47 +0100, Fran
wrote:

said...
Can anyone suggest a *very lightweight* but comfortable folding chair?
I'm looking for something that weights only 2kg at most. 1 kg would be
better. The chair needs to be reasonably comfortable. Seat needs to be
off the ground. Must have a backrest. I need it for backpacking
trips.

The Thermarest chair has already been mentioned in response to this in
uk.rec.camping.

That is certainly the lightest option of all. Unfortunely, I don't use
self-inflating mats; I use a lilo-type infalatable bed which packs
down very much smaller and mitigates lumps in the ground better than
thermarests IMO. I'm really looking for a chair, complete. The
lightest I have so far found is 2kg, but am hoping to find something
about half that weight. I don't think that's a design impossibility,
yet am having no luck so far, from UK suppliers at least.

I should mention that seat can be a low to the ground. However it
needs to be off the ground to some extent. Arms are not essential. A
backrest is, though.

Cheers,

Al D

Fran May 30th 06 11:39 PM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

said...
I should mention that seat can be a low to the ground. However it
needs to be off the ground to some extent. Arms are not essential. A
backrest is, though.

See my response in uk.rec.camping.

Richard G. May 31st 06 10:28 AM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

In Article ,Al D
wrote:

Can anyone suggest a *very lightweight* but comfortable folding chair?
I'm looking for something that weights only 2kg at most. 1 kg would be
better. The chair needs to be reasonably comfortable. Seat needs to be
off the ground. Must have a backrest. I need it for backpacking
trips.

I tried something like this at the outdoors show a couple of years ago and
it was surprisingly comfy. Meets your weight limit, but doesn't come with
any legs so does generally go on the ground, but could be used on a rock or
bench, or so the blurb says.
http://tinyurl.com/r5x4a

Regards,
Richard G.

Al D May 31st 06 03:19 PM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:28:26 +0100, Richard G.
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/r5x4a

Hi Richard, Thanks; I have seen those things. I really want something
that has legs though.

Al D

Nigel Cliffe May 31st 06 04:59 PM

Al D wrote:
Can anyone suggest a *very lightweight* but comfortable folding chair?
I'm looking for something that weights only 2kg at most. 1 kg would be
better. The chair needs to be reasonably comfortable. Seat needs to be
off the ground. Must have a backrest. I need it for backpacking
trips.

No idea on weight, but my local Tesco big branch has large boxes containing
various canvas folding chairs, from prices as low as 4. Includes a tripod
stool (no backrest), a simple chair (possible best price/performance?) and
more complicated looking chairs.

Perhaps worth a look ?

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

rob May 31st 06 10:03 PM

Very lightweight but comfortable folding chair?

try looking in a good fishing tackle shop
there are lots of carp chairs on the market that are quite light

Al D May 31st 06 11:03 PM

On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:06:20 +0100, "rob" wrote:

No idea on weight, but my local Tesco big branch has large boxes
containing various canvas folding chairs, from prices as low as 4.
Includes a tripod stool (no backrest), a simple chair (possible best
price/performance?) and more complicated looking chairs.

Perhaps worth a look ?

Hi Nigel, Yes; it was well worth a look; thanks. Nothing that quite
met my weight requirements, but I bought a pair of waterproof gaiters
there, so the trip was worthwhile. (I got drenched trousers yesterday
from wading througth wet bracken. Won't have to do that again!)

Al D