FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Abs? Body Carving? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26663)

AL January 19th 05 10:33 PM

Abs? Body Carving?

Can anyone please direct me to a link where I can find extensive abs
workouts? I've been doing situps but that doesn't seem to make much
difference.
I'm basically a runner, and I used to lift weights but I stopped since I
didn't really like how big I became... :) Just wanted to make a curved body
rather than grow... can't seem to do that. SO I figured I might get a nice 6
pack at first before I go on to my arms chest and legs.

Any suggestions, on everything, is welcome. I have some dumbbells here, but
that's about it.

Thanks a lot!
AL

Lee Michaels January 21st 05 11:28 PM

"AL" wrote in message
Can anyone please direct me to a link where I can find extensive abs
workouts? I've been doing situps but that doesn't seem to make much
difference.
I'm basically a runner, and I used to lift weights but I stopped since I
didn't really like how big I became... :) Just wanted to make a curved

body
rather than grow... can't seem to do that. SO I figured I might get a nice

6
pack at first before I go on to my arms chest and legs.

Any suggestions, on everything, is welcome. I have some dumbbells here,

but
that's about it.

Body Carving??

Over in the woodworking newsgroup, there is talk of a good english made
Marples chisel set with mallet being offered at Costco for $30. Excellent
price, good chisels.

This should be adequate for any "body carving".

Titan1969 January 22nd 05 10:31 PM

Al, your abs can be built better by crunches. Sit-up are ok but Ive
always gotten alot of lower back pain. When you crunch you only lift
your head/shoulder up. It is a very short movement but should be done
slowly and squeeze your abs on the way up. Try to do 4 sets and as many
as you can each time. I do 1000 crunches 3-5 days a week for my
contests. You dont need that many but at least try get to 4 sets of 100
5-7 times a week. The BIGGER problem will be your diet. If your not
eating very strictly you will never see your abs once they start to get
bigger. People always ask how to get good abs I always tell them diet.
They dont want to beleive this but thats the way the body stores fat is
around the midsection. It covers the abs and you will never see them
until you drop your BF% to 15% or less.

Tony Kehl
Developing Fitness Programs for Individuals

http://home.comcast.net/~simplefitness

Blair P. Houghton January 24th 05 07:00 AM

Titan1969 wrote:

Tony! How you doin', mang?

Al, your abs can be built better by crunches. Sit-up are ok but Ive
always gotten alot of lower back pain. When you crunch you only lift
your head/shoulder up.

Most people don't know that situps target your hip-flexors
rather than your abs.

Either you roll up, doing a light crunch and then just
holding it while your hip-flexors do all the heavy lifting,
or you stiffen your posture and hold your abs in one
position while your hip-flexors do even heavier lifting
(as your upper body has a higher moment of inertia in
that position).

Crunches are it.

It is a very short movement but should be done
slowly and squeeze your abs on the way up. Try to do 4 sets and as many
as you can each time. I do 1000 crunches 3-5 days a week for my
contests.

Type-I fiber workout for your midsection.

Do you ever do crunches with weights high enough to fail
at low reps? That would make a high-intensity ab workout
and get the type-II fibers to wake up, maybe give you a
little extra hypertrophy.

Do you do any sort of twisting during these crunches?
It would focus all the stress on one side, basically
increasing the weight while reducing the reps by half
per side, making another kind of intensity booster.

You dont need that many but at least try get to 4 sets of 100
5-7 times a week. The BIGGER problem will be your diet. If your not
eating very strictly you will never see your abs once they start to get
bigger. People always ask how to get good abs I always tell them diet.
They dont want to beleive this but thats the way the body stores fat is
around the midsection. It covers the abs and you will never see them
until you drop your BF% to 15% or less.

True endomorphs need to go into the low- to mid-single
digits to see the horizontal aponeuroses (flat
connective-tissue spaces between the muscle bellies)
instead of just dimples in the fat.

--Blair
"I'll be able to see through my skull
before my abs poke out."

[email protected] January 24th 05 05:35 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:00:57 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Titan1969 wrote:

Tony! How you doin', mang?

Al, your abs can be built better by crunches. Sit-up are ok but Ive
always gotten alot of lower back pain. When you crunch you only lift
your head/shoulder up.

Most people don't know that situps target your hip-flexors
rather than your abs.

Only if you 'fix' your feet, otherwise it's all abdom!!

Ugh! It's Monday!! ;o(

Either you roll up, doing a light crunch and then just
holding it while your hip-flexors do all the heavy lifting,
or you stiffen your posture and hold your abs in one
position while your hip-flexors do even heavier lifting
(as your upper body has a higher moment of inertia in
that position).

Crunches are it.

Not forgetting reverse crunches, which are done most effectively on a
Swiss Ball!!

Ugh! It's Monday!! ;o(

Blair P. Houghton January 26th 05 12:21 AM

wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:00:57 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Titan1969 wrote:

Tony! How you doin', mang?

Al, your abs can be built better by crunches. Sit-up are ok but Ive
always gotten alot of lower back pain. When you crunch you only lift
your head/shoulder up.

Most people don't know that situps target your hip-flexors
rather than your abs.

Only if you 'fix' your feet, otherwise it's all abdom!!

Um, your abs don't make your thighs flex towards your
chest, they make your pelvis tilt towards your sternum.
If you're bringing head to knees without a crunching
*motion*, then you're executing the situp with an isometric
tension in the abdominal muscles. Which is a sort of an
abdominal exercise, just not the sort most people think
it is.

Ugh! It's Monday!! ;o(

No, it's Tuesday. I know that because yesterday and
tomorrow are both spin-class days and Tuesday is 8x8 day,
these days.

--Blair
"Who's more confused, me or
my muscles?"

Charles January 26th 05 12:52 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:21:08 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:00:57 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Titan1969 wrote:

Tony! How you doin', mang?

Al, your abs can be built better by crunches. Sit-up are ok but Ive
always gotten alot of lower back pain. When you crunch you only lift
your head/shoulder up.

Most people don't know that situps target your hip-flexors
rather than your abs.

Only if you 'fix' your feet, otherwise it's all abdom!!

Um, your abs don't make your thighs flex towards your
chest, they make your pelvis tilt towards your sternum.

I don't disagree with that Blair.

If you're bringing head to knees without a crunching
*motion*, then you're executing the situp with an isometric
tension in the abdominal muscles. Which is a sort of an
abdominal exercise, just not the sort most people think
it is.

You were talking about "situps" (sic) which are crunches viz:

http://www.changingshape.com/exercis...inalcrunch.asp

And there is nothing "isometric" about them as the muscle is
shortening against resistance in concentric phase, and lengthening in
the eccentric phase.

The reverse crunch is self-explanatory.

Ugh! It's Monday!! ;o(

No, it's Tuesday. I know that because yesterday and
tomorrow are both spin-class days and Tuesday is 8x8 day,
these days.

It was Monday when I wrote the above, trust me - I know these things!!
;o)

Blair P. Houghton January 27th 05 06:15 AM

Charles wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:21:08 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Um, your abs don't make your thighs flex towards your
chest, they make your pelvis tilt towards your sternum.

I don't disagree with that Blair.

If you're bringing head to knees without a crunching
*motion*, then you're executing the situp with an isometric
tension in the abdominal muscles. Which is a sort of an
abdominal exercise, just not the sort most people think
it is.

You were talking about "situps" (sic) which are crunches viz:

http://www.changingshape.com/exercis...inalcrunch.asp

No, regulation situps don't involve a crunching motion. And all
that sitting up in those overweaned crunches is hip-flexor exercise.

And there is nothing "isometric" about them as the muscle is
shortening against resistance in concentric phase, and lengthening in
the eccentric phase.

In those, sure.

The reverse crunch is self-explanatory.

The Cap'n Crunch is off-diet.

Ugh! It's Monday!! ;o(

No, it's Tuesday. I know that because yesterday and
tomorrow are both spin-class days and Tuesday is 8x8 day,
these days.

It was Monday when I wrote the above, trust me - I know these things!!
;o)

Now it's Wednesday. Something funny is going on here.

--Blair
"Tomorrow is heavy-lifting day."

Charles January 27th 05 09:35 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 05:15:46 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Charles wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:21:08 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
Um, your abs don't make your thighs flex towards your
chest, they make your pelvis tilt towards your sternum.

I don't disagree with that Blair.

If you're bringing head to knees without a crunching
*motion*, then you're executing the situp with an isometric
tension in the abdominal muscles. Which is a sort of an
abdominal exercise, just not the sort most people think
it is.

You were talking about "situps" (sic) which are crunches viz:

http://www.changingshape.com/exercis...inalcrunch.asp

No, regulation situps don't involve a crunching motion. And all
that sitting up in those overweaned crunches is hip-flexor exercise.

Define "regulation situps (sic)" with any cites please, I think you
are wriggling which ill behooves you Blair!!

And there is nothing "isometric" about them as the muscle is
shortening against resistance in concentric phase, and lengthening in
the eccentric phase.

In those, sure.

The reverse crunch is self-explanatory.

The Cap'n Crunch is off-diet.

Huh? As some here would say!

Ugh! It's Monday!! ;o(

No, it's Tuesday. I know that because yesterday and
tomorrow are both spin-class days and Tuesday is 8x8 day,
these days.

It was Monday when I wrote the above, trust me - I know these things!!
;o)

Now it's Wednesday. Something funny is going on here.

It happens every week and soon it will be Friday - yeeeeeeeessss!! ;o)