FitnessBanter.com

-   Running (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   sudden return of plantar fasciitis (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=69885)

Sam Seagate August 8th 15 03:42 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

After a couple of years, I have had a sudden onset of plantar fasciitis
in my right foot. The cause is unknown as I have been walking with the
same shoes regularly since December and have dropped quite a few pounds.
The only thing I can think of is that I changed my route this past
week to include gentle inclines. Anyway, aside from returning to my
normal route, what can I do to stop the pain and maintaining walking? I
DO have a spare pair of "superfeet" insets that I tried out this
morning. The pain was gone, but this started to create heel blisters on
the affected foot, plus the inserts tend to unbalance my feet to that
most of my weight is on the outer edges of the shoe.

Appreciate any suggestions and thanks in advance.

Sam

Sam Seagate August 8th 15 11:52 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 08/08/2015 02:01 PM, Twittering One wrote:
Inclines will surely exacerbate! I've been walking daily 4 miles on hilly Manhattan upper east side & got a case of PF.

I switched back & forth between neitral Saucony Ride 7 & Asics Kayano moderate stability shoe.

The neutral is better for mt PF.

The stability gels are better for knees.

Pick my poison.

I had been walking 6 miles/ 4 days a week from Dec until a month ago
when I added an additional mile. And, up until this past week, I have
been walking on flat surfaces. Then I decided to try and be more
adventurous and include gentle inclines. Hard to believe the gentleness
would cause the condition, but that has to be it as I had no pain with
the same shoes all these other months. Now the question becomes what to
do about it. Funding is limited and I've been using the same style of
shoes since Dec. I just added the Superfoot insert I had as a spare,
but it started to cause blisters on the back of the heel, so not a great
fit. Should I be looking for a different insert? I definitely need
something that won't move throughout the duration. With the insert I
had, I took it out of the shoe when I started feeling the blister
developing and it was quite hot on the bottom so it's moving inside the
shoe. Tomorrow's my day off from walking and I cut it short today due
to the circumstances, but Mon I hope to start up again if I can figure
out the best plan with these shoes. thanks.

Bart Mathias August 10th 15 03:55 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
Ed Prochak wrote:

I was just listing suggesting ideas I found.
I never had problems with PF.

But I think orthotics are not the same as the padding in shoes. I only know this from the orthotics my son used to wear. They were firm with little cushioning.

Obviously the orthotics option is low since the OP doesn't want to see a doctor.

Ed

I was lucky. A friend had orthotics he wasn't using, and they fit me
fine, so I didn't have to see a doctor. I was well in 13 months. But
after 12 months, I developed achilles tendinitis in the other foot,
and that lasted a year too. Put a permanent end to my string of PRs.
--
Bart Mathias

Sam Seagate August 10th 15 12:19 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Thanks for all the suggestions here. After two days since the onset of
the fasciitis, it is just about gone with the most pain when I first get
out of bed. I still haven't tried any deliberate walking, but did haul
out my bicycle and rode it yesterday. The bicycle is not my preferred
aerobic activity, but if I have no other choice, I'll use it. I do have
a mechanism to make it stationary if I have to. I still think if I was
25 lbs thinner, a lot of these foot issues would be far less prominent,
but I haven't been that thin in 25 years.

With some suggestions from another group, it was pointed out to me that
there are apparently custom versions of Superfeet inserts now available,
particularly in "black" and "copper" colors. I did find a couple of
stores somewhat close to me carrying those, so I am planning a trip to
them today with my shoes to check out these custom versions. I'm hoping
for the best. The spare "green" one I had basically eliminated any
further pain when inserted into the shoe, but I realize now that the
green ones are/ were a very poor fit for me and I shouldn't have even
used them years ago. Anyone offering commentary on Superfeet custom
versions would be welcome. I just hope they'll let me try them first
since the cost is up there.

Off to the stores in a few hours, so if luck is your thing please wish it!

Sam

Sam Seagate August 10th 15 02:33 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 08/10/2015 07:47 AM, Twittering One wrote:
Anyone have comments on Asics Kayano?

They are moderate stability & still very flexible.

I've been wearing them for my city walks about 2 months now.

They are very comfy & cushy.

But I'm confused right now about whether they're the answer.

The problem is that I tried various running shoes in the past and none
of them worked without causing blisters, which were sometimes massive.
This was even through a well known running shoe store with runner
employees. After two years of only cycling, on a whim, I decided to try
out "Starter" brand. Since December, Starter has worked with only
occasional heel blisters when switching to new pairs (which I work
around by using Kinseo tape for a couple of weeks until broken in) and
then the recent fasciitis that reared its ugly head this past Sat.
These shoes only last a month at 24-28 mi/ week walking, but they are
ultra cheap to replace and I'm really hoping one of these stability
inserts will work with it to stop the fasciitis. Green is definitely
out, but maybe copper or black--- will find out today. Most of the pain
is gone and even moreso with the improper fitting green insert, so I'm
anxious to see what one of the custom styles does. Blisters are another
matter though, so there is concern that an improper fit might trigger
them.

Sam Seagate August 11th 15 07:53 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 08/10/2015 09:36 PM, Twittering One wrote:
& walking seems so innocent!
http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fi...-walking-pains

Not so innocent! Thanks for the list! I carefully read over every one.
Out of the 20 years I've been walking, I've had #1,4,5,7&8. 4,5,7
happened long ago, when I first started out, and I was trying to walk
too fast and too far. Luckily, the weight came off fast enough that all
were remedied within a month. Out of all, #8, the hip bursitis, was the
most severe and lasted the longest. I wasn't able to return to walking
for a couple of years and only cycled instead. Now, I'm extremely
careful with the right hip and carefully stretch both hips for several
minutes before walking. I also sometimes use a prescription strength
NSAID cream rubbed into that hip if I feel any signs of discomfort and
it helps a lot. Can't use NSAID's consistently all the time though and
thankfully I don't have to. For the current one, the fasciitis, I had
already determined that I was going back to my flat path and I have the
inserts installed and ready to go. Will try out today. Interestingly,
I've not had #9- runner's knee- not while walking, but while cycling.
Apparently, when I started cycling, I was in high gear too much and that
put too much pressure on the knees so once using low gear much more
often, the problem was solved.

One thing they don't mention there are blisters. I've almost always had
bouts of those and carefully have to watch my socks and when I've
switched pairs of shoes. My cure was always "duck tape" because it was
readily available, but I recently finally started using both kinseology
tape and/or leukotape, along with tincture of benzoin as a prep if
needed. The benzoin will allow the tapes to stay on for days if needed,
right through showers and all.... although I do have to watch for skin
allergies which I find do start developing.

Sam Seagate August 11th 15 11:27 PM

On 08/11/2015 04:55 PM, Ed Prochak wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 at 1:53:57 AM UTC-4, Sam Seagate wrote:
On 08/10/2015 09:36 PM, Twittering One wrote:
& walking seems so innocent!
http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fi...-walking-pains

Not so innocent! Thanks for the list! I carefully read over every one.

[]

One thing they don't mention there are blisters. I've almost always had
bouts of those and carefully have to watch my socks and when I've
switched pairs of shoes. My cure was always "duck tape" because it was
readily available, but I recently finally started using both kinseology
tape and/or leukotape, along with tincture of benzoin as a prep if
needed. The benzoin will allow the tapes to stay on for days if needed,
right through showers and all.... although I do have to watch for skin
allergies which I find do start developing.

Sam,
It is puzzling why you seem so prone to blisters.

Is there any correlation between model/brand of shoes and where
the blisters occur?

This I'm not sure of at it's been 3 years since the severe blisters.
All I know is that I visited various running shoe stores near me and was
fitted with top brands by runner employees. I would almost always start
getting blisters at the 2 mile mark. The best store and I worked
through 4 pairs over a 90 day period and never did find any that were
blister free.

Are you an unusual shoe size? (extra narrow maybe?)

No, don't think so.... 11 W.

Ever tried different lacing techniques?

I've just recently begun to learn about this. None of the employees
suggested it three years ago other than making sure the laces were as
tight as possible throughout the length of the lacing area.

And the blisters happen primarily from walking? Not from running?

Running, forget it. Haven't retried it for over 20 years. My first
attempt resulted in all sorts of luckily temporary injuries and pulls,
so I can't answer about the blisters. As far as walking is concerned,
with my current shoes, if they are going to appear, it will be the heel
areas until the shoes are broken in. This is far better and more
tolerable than all the hot spots and blisters I'd get from the shoes 3
years back.

Not sure I have any answers, but maybe describing more details may give you a clue of something to try.

Well, I was going to try the shoes with the inserts now in place today,
but it rained here all day and I decided to wait until tomorrow. I'll
be trying out two inserts over the next couple of days: Superfeet
"copper" and "black". I have some concerns that the inserts will
trigger blisters, but I won't know for sure until I do my walking
routine. Other than that, I feel pretty confident that the support they
offer will prevent a plantar fasciitis recurrence but to be on the safe
side, I'll be sticking with my flat roads for a while.

Ed

Sam Seagate August 12th 15 02:27 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Today was the first morning back at it with the new inserts. I decided
to try the Superfeet "copper" first. I've been carefully trying to
stretch the plantars and also massaging on a water bottle. 50 min into
the walking though, I could start to feel pain so I stopped. I
compensated the other 45 min using a stepping machine I have, which did
not further stress the same area of the feet.

Now I'm debating what to do: return the inserts for the next higher
pair (which would be the blue I think), or stick with what I have and
incorporate alternate activities for the other half of the walking like
I did this morning.

Sam

Sam Seagate August 12th 15 11:02 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 08/11/2015 10:35 PM, Twittering One wrote:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00379

Beware of risks & signs.

Interesting and thanks for posting. Unfortunately, the symptoms
described for the fracture often mimic those of the faciitis. I wonder
if there's any sure way to tell the difference from home.

For example, if I press hard just in front of the heel on the bottom of
the foot, I can feel the pain... is the pain just soreness or a fracture?

Sam Seagate August 17th 15 11:33 AM

On 08/14/2015 04:59 PM, Michael wrote:
On Saturday, August 8, 2015 at 8:42:38 AM UTC-5, Sam Seagate wrote:
After a couple of years, I have had a sudden onset of plantar fasciitis
in my right foot. The cause is unknown as I have been walking with the
same shoes regularly since December and have dropped quite a few pounds.
The only thing I can think of is that I changed my route this past
week to include gentle inclines. Anyway, aside from returning to my
normal route, what can I do to stop the pain and maintaining walking? I
DO have a spare pair of "superfeet" insets that I tried out this
morning. The pain was gone, but this started to create heel blisters on
the affected foot, plus the inserts tend to unbalance my feet to that
most of my weight is on the outer edges of the shoe.

Appreciate any suggestions and thanks in advance.

Sam

There's some good research on high load strengthening of the foot. I use it quite a lot to battle back PF and to keep running.

http://www.running-physio.com/pf-new-research/

Thanks for this, I added the methods to my routine yesterday. I don't
have much of a step where I live, but I do have a stepping machine that
offers a "step" in its construction framing and that is what I'm using.

I reread the link this morning as I started feeling a slight recurrence
yesterday, but it turns out that I must have done the dips too fast.
Will go a lot slower for now on.

Not sure how long it takes to get my foot back to normal..... did a
brief walk yesterday, 20 min, but could start feeling the pain in the
affected foot and stopped. It's been 1.5 weeks since the injury.

Sam

Sam Seagate August 25th 15 11:41 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Been a while now since I've walked. I suppose there's a chance the
muscle is sore, but I'm beginning to think that I may have splintered
the bone as someone pointed out. Whatever the case, I haven't been
walking much at all unless I have to. There's a touch of pain
especially if I don't wear the Superfeet shoes, so it's still going to
take quite some time yet before I'm ready to resume. I've lost even
more weight, but that has been basically through diet alone. I'm just
glad I've lost and not gained this time! As for the exercises, I've
been hesitant to do those other than stretching the toes upward. The
dips seemed to exacerbate the pain so I haven't tried them again.

Sam

Sam Seagate September 4th 15 11:43 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Well, it's been nearly a month since the onset of the fasciitis. I
still haven't tried extended walking as an activity because I still feel
a touch of pain, sometimes with just normal walking and sometimes during
or just after I've lifted something heavy. I initially tried the
stretches suggested here, but I found that, aside from the pulling the
toes back stretch, that the one you do on a step just aggravated the
pain so I stopped it for now. I guess the good news in all of this was
that I still managed to lose the weight I needed to, basically through
diet alone, and in fact my weight is now about 3 lbs less than my
initial goal, so quite satisfied there. I do have two questions though:

1) Would the fasciitis take this long or longer to heal completely?

2) Someone had mentioned a possible bone fracture in addition to or
instead of the fasciitis. Since it's taking longer to completely heal
than I suspected, is the fracture a possibility?

Sam

Sam Seagate September 9th 15 02:48 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 09/06/2015 04:37 PM, Ed Prochak wrote:
Bone takes about 6 weeks to knit back together. Tendons take longer.

So it's hard to say which case it is.

Not too concerned about it. As long as I don't eat like a horse, and I
haven't been, my weight is stable and in fact still I've still been
losing. As of today, there is still a touch of tenderness now and
again, but not taking any chances and I will give it some more time.

Sam Seagate September 12th 15 10:07 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Ok, today, after just over a month, and armed with the "orange"
Superfoot insert in each shoe, I decided to try and go for 1/2 my prior
distance at full speed. The result: disappointment. I originally aimed
for 45 minutes, but stopped around 35 min when I started feeling pain in
the affected foot. I was afraid to go any further for fear of
triggering a total relapse. So that was that :(. You know, when my hip
acted up three years ago, it took a good 3 months to heal and even today
it can be "tender" at times.

I tried doing the stretches for the foot suggested here early on, but
all it seemed to do was make the symptoms worse. Not sure what would
happen at this point, but I may try and start the stretches tomorrow.

I thought the Superfoot would do the trick at this point, but it isn't.
Rats.

Sam

Sam Seagate September 14th 15 03:25 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Another update today. On a whim and sort of out of desperation, I
revisited the local Walmart footcare isle as I had noticed a variety of
cheap inserts there in the past. I decided to simply purchase any that
said they were for "plantar fasciitis". Even in total, the cost for 4
pairs was still less than one Superfoot and a lot easier to return if I
have problems. So tonight, I started testing. I started off with a
single Dr. Scholl's athletic insert with supposed support for plantars,
but after just general, slow normal walking I found that it wasn't
enough. I then decided to try another insert especially made for
plantar fasciitis (or at least that's how it was marked). Still some
pain. Finally, I decided to try an experiment: re-insert the Dr.
Scholl's and then place the "specially made" one for PF on top of the
Dr. Scholl's. There was initial concern here as the PF insole was a bit
small and that this might cause discomfort (I had blisters start to form
recently from too small a Superfoot insert). Anyway, I did start
walking with the combination, slow at first and.... no pain! I then
proceeded to go my normal athletic walking speed, and I was able to go
1/2 my normal distance virtually without pain! Just a touch, but
nowhere near like the recent try with the Superfoot. Not getting too
excited yet, but I believe I have found my preliminary answer.
Apparently, the double inserts must relieve the pressure even better
than the one plus add additional padding where needed. I won't know for
sure until I try the combination a few more times, and I definitely
won't start pushing too much yet until I'm sure the pain is no longer an
issue. It would be great if so! One thing I didn't have on were my
socks, but I was still able to complete my half distance without blister
formation, couple of hot spots but no broken skin easily solved next
time when I wear my socks.

Hopefully, this is a breakthrough for me. Hopefully.

Sam

Sam Seagate April 16th 16 04:09 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

Ok, since some folks asked, here is the latest update after just over 8
months. After the plantar onset, I stopped walking until it healed and
it has basically taken this long. I tried about 4 different types of
inserts (Superfoot, Pinnacle, Walmart, etc) and doubling them up, but my
distance was still severely limited until the onset of the pain.

The good news is that I didn't gain much weight at all despite not being
able to walk, maybe 6 lbs and this varies by 3 lbs due to water weight.
So the task of losing the weight is much easier. Of course, I'm out
of shape cardiovascularly and it shows during the walks with the HR
jumping up a lot.

So, yesterday, after placing the Pinnacle inserts in my shoes, I started
walking again. I no longer plan on the 6.5-9 mi/ day walks like I used
to. As long as I manage to keep my weight steady, the most I will ever
walk for now on is 4 mi, but this won't be everyday. I may end up
alternating days of biking with walking, but I prefer to stick with
walking as long as I limit my distance this time.

Not much more to say other than folks wishing me luck maybe. I sure
don't want to end up with the fasciitis again and hope the shorter
distances, less total miles per week, and the inserts will do the trick.

Thanks again for all those who tried to help.

Sam

Sam Seagate April 23rd 16 10:35 AM

On 04/19/2016 01:11 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 7:09:42 PM UTC-7, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

Inserts, really orthodics that don't match the shape of your foot, and compensate for your gait really won't do you much good.

Generally, podiatrists make molds of your feet, watch your gait, and make
hard orthodics. They are expensive and covered by insurance. They can help.
They need to be refurbished every few years.

Next, great chiropractors make orthodics, once again based on molds, and great ones watch your gait, and decide on specific features. The difference is these are flexible and use the natural motion of your feet. They have limited lifetimes.

Then something great and new has come out. The Walking Store, found in many
malls has a machine you walk on, it measures the exact shape of your foot,
exactly where your arch is, and also where the pressure your feet have. In addition, you walk through the sensor so it gets your gait. Then, based on all that they have great orthodics, that I've found are wonderful, and also, much
less expensive. I recommend trying them.

This information is what I was waiting to hear. Unfortunately, two days
out after a LONG recess from walking, and I could start to feel the pain
return to the affected foot. This is with my current shoes and Pinnacle
inserts. So that meant stopping walking once again and going back to
the bicycle, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet with
walking. I'm going to give your suggestion a try, visiting The Walking
Company. I'm assuming their machine is different from the Dr. Scholl's
machine Walmart uses as that one did me no good. Anyway, there's a store
about 25 mi away from me and I'll be visiting it soon and report back.
It's been nearly a week since I attempted any more speed walking and the
foot is back to normal. Luckily, I stopped soon enough this time that I
didn't end up missing any work, and I was able to carry on the normal
routines of life.

Thanks again and I'll report back soon.

Sam

All standard inserts do not match your specific feet.

Sam Seagate April 23rd 16 10:37 AM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 04/21/2016 08:43 AM, Ed Prochak wrote:
Sam,
Sounds like you are finding ways to manage this.

No, not really. Truly wish I had this time.

IIRC you decided not to have surgery to correct this. But I will mention for others that may be an option. my wife had it done and she no longer has problems with plantar faciitus.

I wish you well and glad to hear you found a way to keep moving.

As a last resort, I'm going to give Beach Runner's suggestion a try
first before moving on to a podiatrist.

Sam

Enjoy the walk.
Ed

Sam Seagate April 25th 16 06:41 PM

On 04/23/2016 02:01 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 1:37:07 AM UTC-7, Sam Seagate wrote:
On 04/21/2016 08:43 AM, Ed Prochak wrote:
Sam,
Sounds like you are finding ways to manage this.

No, not really. Truly wish I had this time.

IIRC you decided not to have surgery to correct this. But I will mention for others that may be an option. my wife had it done and she no longer has problems with plantar faciitus.

I wish you well and glad to hear you found a way to keep moving.

As a last resort, I'm going to give Beach Runner's suggestion a try
first before moving on to a podiatrist.

Sam

Enjoy the walk.
Ed

Hi, I went back to the Walking Company to update my inserts. They have improved their technology and I love the improvements in their sport orthodic. Besides their sensors measuring the foot, your pressure points,
your gait, they are now water wicking and breath.

I was finally able to visit the store today. My feet were measured
twice: first by taking a step with each foot across a platform, and then
standing on the platform. From this information, they computed an
insert for my shoes. This is the first time my feet have been checked
in more than one way. With the Dr. Scholl's machine, there was only a
single standing measurement, so with the additional method I'm hopeful.
Since this particular store is in a mall, I then walked very fast a
couple of miles around the mall with the new inserts. So far, so good
and no pain, but I won't really know until I get out to my walking
locales and go three+ miles for a couple of days. Keeping my fingers
crossed. Will report back.

Sam

Sam Seagate April 28th 16 03:58 PM

sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 04/26/2016 08:41 PM, Twittering One wrote:
DON'T

After reviewing your replies and sarcasm in the group, I've decided to
filter you out, but I'll reply just this once: Do you have anything
useful to contribute here or are you just the group resident troll? You
might want to reconsider if you are the latter. In any case, whether
you answer or not will no longer be seen. Bye.

Sam Seagate May 20th 16 03:06 AM

On 05/19/2016 02:00 PM, Ed Prochak wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:41:22 PM UTC-4, Sam Seagate wrote:
[...]

A long delayed reply but Good luck!

That's ok. I have an update. So far, so good, but there are caveats,
the biggest one being that I am really, really taking it careful and
easy this time around. My days are still cut in half from what they
used to be, and the same with my distance, so I end up walking around
60% less mi per week. So that comes out to 4 mi/ 3 days a week. I'm
not ready to press further because I can still feel a touch of pain some
days in the affected foot. When this happens, I double up skipped days
to give the area more time to acclimate.

I will continue this reduction pattern probably throughout much of the
Summer and perhaps adding a day more in another month or two. I
certainly don't want to push too much, or I'll end up right back where I
started. I always have the bicycle to substitute if I need it.

I envy most runners I see. Most are quite thin, which I am not, and I
think that it a real advantage because it means far less force exerted
on the feet and legs. I suppose if I lost 50 lbs I could maybe start
running, but I haven't been at that weight since I was 14. So, for now,
I'll try to stick with what I have and make it work.

Sam