FitnessBanter.com

-   Aerobic (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any comments about the Essential XT4 elliptical? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=157)

ksoze October 13th 03 01:31 AM

Any comments about the Essential XT4 elliptical?

Finally got to try a few ellipticals at the local stores. Originally, I
thought about the Eclipse 1000HR but the cheap feel and noise made me feel
that it wouldn't be worth the money. I had heard good things about the
Kettlers, but when I tried the Condor, I didn't like the foot pad pitch --
felt like it would be stressful on the knees in the long run. Too bad,
because I love the small footprint and the solid build (it was really
smooth and quiet too). Then I tried the Essential XT4 (Lifefitness'
consumer line) and found it to be pretty nice. Although a shorter warranty
than the Kettler (probably reflecting its Taiwan build, at 2 yrs parts vs.
3 yrs. on the Kettler) it had a nice stride, smooth feel, and relatively
flat pitch on the pads. Downsides were that it seemed a bit noisier than
the Kettler, much longer and heavier, and a few hundred dollars more than
the Kettler ($1399 vs. $1199). I tried the Vision and Horizon ellipticals,
and found them to have more pitch as well; I still want to try the
Diamondback 600EL, but right now I'm leaning towards the Essential.
Problem is, there seems to be no feedback at all on the 'net regarding this
machine. Do any owners out there have any feedback they'd like to offer?
Thanks.

ksoze November 15th 03 07:19 PM

Any comments about the Essential XT4 elliptical?

ksoze wrote in
:

[...]

Follow-up: I tested the Diamondback 600 at a local Sport Chalet and was
very disappointed in the build quality; for the amount it was selling
for ($1000) I felt it had a very plasticky and cheap feel to it. So I
ended up buying the Essential XT from LA Gym (on sale now at the stores
for $1,395). That was over a month ago, and I don't regret it one bit.
SO and I have each been using it on an almost daily basis, and the thing
is as solid as day 1. Super smooth (in fact smoother than I originally
thought when I posted earlier), no squeaks, no rattles, no problems.
Life Fitness really did a good job in translating their X3/X3i into a
more affordable unit, by having it built in Taiwan. The difference
between this Taiwan-built unit and others (those made by IKON) is like
night and day. Apparently LF oversaw the entire overseas design and
manufacture process and it shows; they cut corners (in a good way) to
get the price down as low as possible without sacrificing quality, such
as getting rid of the stationary handles and simplifying the console. I
also bought the unit with my platinum card, so I now have 2 yrs warranty
on labor and 3 years parts, as good as the Kettler. I honestly feel that
anyone doing a fair cost/benefit trade between the Essential and the
full-up LF X3 would choose the Essential.

In short, I feel anyone considering a $1,000+ elliptical for home would
be doing themselves a disservice if they didn't consider the Essential.
And no, I don't work for Life Fitness or Essential. Happy exercising!

Pocelopolo January 5th 14 06:38 PM

Thanks for sharing good reference.