FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Workout Program - Need Advice (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20117)

stracy5 August 15th 04 05:41 PM

New Workout Program - Need Advice

I am planning on changing my program from a 5-day program to the 4-day
program that follows. I also plan on only doing 1 set to failure on
each, but plan on doing normal speed reps instead of the slow reps
suggested buy HIT (but under control with good form - to absolute
failure).

My goal is a ballance of size and strength.

I currently do reps approximatly 2 sec positive / 2 sec neg.

* Should I do slow reps (2-4 sec positive / 4-6 sec neg)?

* Do you see any shortcomings in this program?

Monday
Squats
Stiff arm lat pull downs
Lat pull downs - front of head
Stiff leg deadlifts
Cable rows
Straight bar curls
Leg curls
Dumbbell curls
Calf Press

Tuesday
Bench press
Overhead press behind head
Floor press
Lateral raise
Front raise
Bent over raise
Wrist curls
Reverse wrist curls
Wrist roller

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Deadlifts
Stiff arm lat pull downs
Lat pull downs - back of head
Stiff leg deadlifts
Bent over rows
Straight bar curls
Leg curls
Hammer curls
Calf Press

Friday
Dumbbell bench press
Dumbbell overhead press
Tricep pushdown
Lateral raise
Front raise
Bent over raise
Wrist curls
Reverse wrist curls
Wrist roller

Trozer August 16th 04 12:13 AM

(stracy5) wrote in message . com...
[...]

4-day program, and HIT don't really go together hand in hand.
Intensity and volume are polar opposites. I would be training less
often. Generally speaking though, increasing your intensity of effort
by training to failure, is moving in the right direction. Two second
positive and four second negative works for me.

Pat Styles August 16th 04 06:11 AM

"Trozer" wrote in message
om...
(stracy5) wrote in message

. com...
[...]

Seeing as how you're such a newbie, maybe you should shut up and educate
yourself. Training to failure is rarely a worthwhile technique and has nothing
to do with intensity, which is simply a % of 1rm.
ps

stracy5 August 16th 04 04:06 PM

(Trozer) wrote in message . com...
(stracy5) wrote in message . com...
I am planning on changing my program from a 5-day program to the 4-day
program that follows....

4-day program, and HIT don't really go together hand in hand.
Intensity and volume are polar opposites. I would be training less
often. Generally speaking though, increasing your intensity of effort
by training to failure, is moving in the right direction. Two second
positive and four second negative works for me.

If you look at my workout closer you will see that I am only working
each muscle group twice a week, allowing a minimum of 72 hours of rest
for each muscle group. I am using a 4-day split because I want to
perform at a high level of "effort" for a short period of time during
each workout.

I am using the HIT FAQ (
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hitzap.htm )
and my own experience with weightlifting (15 years on and off -- too
much off :) as a basis for creating this workout. Most of the info in
the HIT FAQ made sense to me but let me know if you think it is full
of @%#!.

Most of my weightlifting existence has been just plugging away with 3x
per week full body workouts (mostly brawn and not much brain).
Recently I have gained some experience with using a high volume 5-day
workout hitting each major muscle group once a week. This has worked
well but I am not sure I can keep up the 1 hr/day 5 days a week
commitment. Also, I have been criticized for only working each muscle
group once a week.

I now want to learn as much I as I can about the science of resistance
training and try to maximize my effort/results ratio.

Please provide suggestions (e.g. Add incline bench to your
Tuesday/Friday routine; You're an idiot, do the reps slower; You are
the master, your workout is perfect :).

NOTE: I am not trying to disregard Newbie Fantasy #13 (MFW is a
professional research service). I have done a lot of reading and much
of it is contradictory. I am just looking for some real opinions from
some real people that practice the art of weightlifting.

Thanks,

ST

stracy5 August 16th 04 04:23 PM

"Pat Styles" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"Trozer" wrote in message
om...
(stracy5) wrote in message

. com...
I am planning on changing my program from a 5-day program to the 4-day
program that follows. I also plan on only doing 1 set to failure on
each, but plan on doing normal speed reps instead of the slow reps
suggested buy HIT (but under control with good form - to absolute
failure)...

4-day program, and HIT don't really go together hand in hand.
Intensity and volume are polar opposites. I would be training less
often. Generally speaking though, increasing your intensity of effort
by training to failure, is moving in the right direction. Two second
positive and four second negative works for me.

Seeing as how you're such a newbie, maybe you should shut up and educate
yourself. Training to failure is rarely a worthwhile technique and has
nothing to do with intensity, which is simply a % of 1rm.
ps

How is training to failure not a worthwhile technique? I have never
heard this before. I have always read, heard, and just plain knew in
my heart that performing a set until you just can't do another rep was
the best way to stimulate muscle growth.

Keith Hobman August 16th 04 04:29 PM

In article ,
(stracy5) wrote:

"Pat Styles" wrote in message

news:[email protected]
"Trozer" wrote in message
om...
(stracy5) wrote in message
. com...
[...]

What are the physiological mechanisms that make this the most effective
method for hypertrophy?

--
Dawn's cold kiss calls me
Forth I creep, blindly stumbling

Lee Michaels August 16th 04 04:34 PM

"Keith Hobman" wrote

(stracy5) wrote:

How is training to failure not a worthwhile technique? I have never
heard this before. I have always read, heard, and just plain knew in
my heart that performing a set until you just can't do another rep was
the best way to stimulate muscle growth.

What are the physiological mechanisms that make this the most effective
method for hypertrophy?

Keith, don't you know better?

You are asking for FACTS to back up a popluar myth.

This could get downright entertaining.

Keith Hobman August 16th 04 04:41 PM

In article 4u4Uc.267343$%[email protected]_s01, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Keith Hobman" wrote

(stracy5) wrote:

How is training to failure not a worthwhile technique? I have never
heard this before. I have always read, heard, and just plain knew in
my heart that performing a set until you just can't do another rep was
the best way to stimulate muscle growth.

What are the physiological mechanisms that make this the most effective
method for hypertrophy?

Keith, don't you know better?

You are asking for FACTS to back up a popluar myth.

This could get downright entertaining.

I'd like a real scientific explanation too. None of the 'dynamite
explodes' type of stuff.

I thought since stracy5 so was well-read on the subject I could get the
real low-down.

aj August 16th 04 08:13 PM

On 2004-08-16, Keith Hobman wrote:
In article 4u4Uc.267343$%[email protected]_s01, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Keith Hobman" wrote

(stracy5) wrote:

How is training to failure not a worthwhile technique? I have never
heard this before. I have always read, heard, and just plain knew in
my heart that performing a set until you just can't do another rep was
the best way to stimulate muscle growth.

What are the physiological mechanisms that make this the most effective
method for hypertrophy?

Keith, don't you know better?

You are asking for FACTS to back up a popluar myth.

This could get downright entertaining.

I'd like a real scientific explanation too. None of the 'dynamite
explodes' type of stuff.

I thought since stracy5 so was well-read on the subject I could get the
real low-down.

This guy's too humble to pull a Hoff.

--
-aj

Lee Michaels August 16th 04 08:20 PM

On 2004-08-16, Keith Hobman wrote:
In article 4u4Uc.267343$%[email protected]_s01, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Keith Hobman" wrote

(stracy5) wrote:

How is training to failure not a worthwhile technique? I have

never
heard this before. I have always read, heard, and just plain knew

in
my heart that performing a set until you just can't do another rep

was
the best way to stimulate muscle growth.

What are the physiological mechanisms that make this the most

effective
method for hypertrophy?

Keith, don't you know better?

You are asking for FACTS to back up a popluar myth.

This could get downright entertaining.

I'd like a real scientific explanation too. None of the 'dynamite
explodes' type of stuff.

I thought since stracy5 so was well-read on the subject I could get the
real low-down.

This guy's too humble to pull a Hoff.

Well, Keith DOES suffer from Canadian Niceness Syndrome.

But the expression "pull a Hoff" is interesting.

Does one have to be humble to "pull a Hoff"?

Or do you just need a mean streak?