FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Workout Program Wanted!! (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21370)

George September 13th 04 06:37 PM

Workout Program Wanted!!

Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it. I've worked out before,
but was never able to see astounding results. I know all about how
much protein I need to ingest, but what about calories overall?
Perhaps someone can provide a routine which worked for them. Finally,
what type of cardio schedule would I need to maintain?

Thanks for the help!

Hugh Beyer September 13th 04 07:58 PM

(George) wrote in
m:

Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it. I've worked out before,
but was never able to see astounding results. I know all about how
much protein I need to ingest, but what about calories overall?
Perhaps someone can provide a routine which worked for them. Finally,
what type of cardio schedule would I need to maintain?

Thanks for the help!

Check out
http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html for some good alternative
programs. Ignore the "this site is for women" stuff all over, don't know how
that got there.

You could also look at HST (http://www.hypertrophy-
specific.com/hst_index.html) but that's probably better left until you've
been at it a while.

Guessing based on height and weight, you can probably afford to gain weight
while lifting for a while to put on muscle. But don't worry about it too
much for a few months--first you want to get into the groove and learn the
various exercises with good form.

Hugh

--
One puppy had its dewclaws removed in the creation of this post, but for
reasons of hygene and it really doesn't hurt them at all.

geek_girl September 14th 04 04:05 AM

In George wrote:
Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it.

If you really want to fill out a shirt, make sure you eat plenty of soy
products.

Geezer From The Freezer September 14th 04 10:43 AM

geek_girl wrote:

In George wrote:
Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it.

If you really want to fill out a shirt, make sure you eat plenty of soy
products.

ignore that comment. Soy is bad!

Top Sirloin September 14th 04 04:26 PM

Geezer From The Freezer wrote:

geek_girl wrote:

In George wrote:

Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it.

If you really want to fill out a shirt, make sure you eat plenty of soy
products.

ignore that comment. Soy is bad!

Are you denying soy's efficacy at filling out
t-shirts?

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

bc September 14th 04 08:54 PM

Geezer From The Freezer wrote in message ...
geek_girl wrote:

In George wrote:
Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it.

If you really want to fill out a shirt, make sure you eat plenty of soy
products.

ignore that comment. Soy is bad!

Well now, to sj's point, that depends on how you want to fill the
shirt, doesn't it?

- bc

jaialai_technology September 14th 04 08:59 PM

George wrote:
Hi everyone...I'm currently 5'10", 157 lbs. I recently joined a local
gym and would appreciate if someone could recommend a good
weightlifting routine for me. My goal is to pack on some muscle mass,
but I'm not looking to be huge. I'd like to have a physique which has
nice muscle definition and a little size to it. Basically, I'd like to
fill out a shirt and look great without it. I've worked out before,
but was never able to see astounding results. I know all about how
much protein I need to ingest, but what about calories overall?
Perhaps someone can provide a routine which worked for them. Finally,
what type of cardio schedule would I need to maintain?

Thanks for the help!

www.bodybuilding.com has a nice database of workouts that you can query
and come up with one that matches your schedule and goals.