FitnessBanter.com

-   Aerobic (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Treadmill headrush? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=444)

Help Me March 11th 04 03:57 AM

Treadmill headrush?

I used a treadmill today for the first time.
When I was done and walked off the treadmill,
I felt a "headrush" -- a disorienting feeling.

Is that normal? Or does it mean that I did
something wrong?

I walk and bike ride periodically. I tend to
walk at 4 MPH on flat terrain.

On the treadmill, I ramped up to 4.3 MPH, the
speed at which I walked for most of the time.
I used the treadmill for about 30 min. That
includes 5 min of warm-up and cool-down. I did
the cool-down manually. The "cool down" button
wanted to slow the treadmill to 1.3 MPH. I
cannot walk that slow :-). I kept myself well
hydrated during the exercise. I was not hungry
at the time I exercised.

Peter Webb March 11th 04 06:23 AM

Treadmill headrush?

Absolutely normal.

The first time I used the treadmill, when I got off it felt like I was
falling backwards (or the world around me was suddenly moving forwards).

Enjoy the feeling, it only happens the first few times you use the
treadmill.

om...

Help Me March 11th 04 05:49 PM

Treadmill headrush?

"Peter Webb" wrote:
"Help Me" wrote:
I used a treadmill today for the first time.
When I was done and walked off the treadmill,
I felt a "headrush" -- a disorienting feeling.

Absolutely normal.

Enjoy the feeling, it only happens the first few
times you use the treadmill.

Why does this happen? Note that I am not new to
aerobic exercise or walking.

What is it about a treadmill that is different
than natural walking (at the same speed) that the
body needs to adjust to? Is walking on a treadmill
mechanically different from natural walking?

Peter Webb March 12th 04 11:45 AM

Treadmill headrush?

No, its a perception / optical illusion thingie.

Have a go at:

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-42.htm

This is a similar thing - your eye/brain compensates/adapts for the
movement, and when the movement stops the compensation makes stationary
things appear to be moving in the opposite direction.

"Help Me" wrote in message
om...

Denise Howard March 12th 04 05:42 PM

Treadmill headrush?

In article , Peter Webb
wrote:

No, its a perception / optical illusion thingie.

Have a go at:

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-42.htm

This is a similar thing - your eye/brain compensates/adapts for the
movement, and when the movement stops the compensation makes stationary
things appear to be moving in the opposite direction.

I used to experience the same thing when dismounting my parents' riding
lawnmower after a long bout of mowing.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor

Prekrasnoe January 11th 14 08:14 PM

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!

Emilyvi February 2nd 19 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denise Howard (Post 1789)
In article , Peter Webb
wrote:

No, its a perception / optical illusion thingie.

Have a go at:

http://www.optillusions.com/dp/1-42.htm

This is a similar thing - your eye/brain compensates/adapts for the
movement, and when the movement stops the compensation makes stationary
things appear to be moving in the opposite direction.

I used to experience the same thing when dismounting my parents' riding
lawnmower after a long bout of mowing.

--
Denise denise dot howard at comcast dot net
ACE and AFAA certified fitness instructor
AFAA step and kickboxing certified

I have had the same thing, I was so worried, but I talked to my friends and they said it is normal, I can't remember their explanation (sorry) but, it eventually stopped, which is great. I mean it wasn't very bad and it lasted only for a few seconds, but still, it is not the best feeling in the world.