FitnessBanter.com

-   General (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   (how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight) (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=49905)

claire June 22nd 07 04:20 PM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

I am currently on a diet and eating healthily but am not noticing
results -is exercising 4/5times a week for half hour each day enough?

joeu2004 June 22nd 07 07:44 PM

On Jun 22, 8:20 am, claire wrote:
I am currently on a diet and eating healthily but am not noticing
results -is exercising 4/5times a week for half hour each day enough?

Probably not, if you walk only 1 MPH during that time ;-).

The point is: it depends on two variables, namely: how many calories
you burn; and how many calories you consume.

(It also depends on how quickly you are expecting to see results. And
to some degree, it also depend on what you eat.)

If you have already taken steps to reduce your caloric intake and,
more importantly, to eat "heathily" (but of course, that is
subjective), I would suggest that you incease the intensity and
perhaps the amount of time that you exercise. But that is only a wild-
ass guess.

If you are not working with a personal trainer, you might want to post
some details about your diet and your exercise regimen to get some
concrete feedback.

Caveat: Although many people get great results by extreme caloric
reduction, I would not advise it unless you are willing to make it a
life-long life-style change. IMHO, it is much easier to maintain an
exercise regimen than to make radical changes in diet. Of course,
morbidly obese people must do both. And of course, both can be a
challenge for many people.

MuscleMan2885 June 27th 07 12:57 AM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

Yeah, diets only really work out if you plan to STAY on those diets
for the rest of your life.

While you're on a diet, you might get some results, but if you go back
to eating unhealthily after a few weeks or months of the diet, then
you'll gain your weight back eventually. It's usually quite hard for
someone to change their whole diet and stick to it.

On the other hand, if you make a resolution to say, not drink soft
drinks for the rest of your life, and you stick to it, then over time
that change in your diet will eventually mean a lot less sugar
consumed=less calories=less weight.

Doing some light exercise 4/5 times a week sounds great, but can you
stick to it? If you overwork yourself, then one day you might decide
that you want to stop exercising for a while and take a rest. The key
is to make the exercise REGULAR. If you only exercise two times a
week, but you can keep doing that indefinitely, then that would be
infinitely better than exercising 4/5 times a week for a month and
stopping.

So if you can exercise 4/5 times a week and keep it up (and provided
you're not straining, overexerting, and injuring yourself), then that
would help for sure. Otherwise, you'd be better off sticking to
something you can do permanently.

Also, it helps if you split up your exercise into two sessions instead
of one. I'm a little lazy to explain this again, so just read the post
I put up on my blog he
http://fitandfirm.blogspot.com/

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot June 27th 07 02:44 AM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

"MuscleMan2885" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

http://SpammersBlog.blogspot.com/

So if I split up my routine into 8 sessions I'll burn way calories? How
about splitting it into 12 sessions? That's got to be even better
right?!?!?

MuscleMan2885 July 2nd 07 10:38 AM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

On Jun 27, 8:44 am, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
wrote:
[...]

right?!?!?- Hide quoted text -

Errr no. Okay let me explain.

When you exercise, you stimulate your body's metabolism. For a few
hours after you exercise your body has an increased metabolism. If you
only work out once a day, you'll only get that increased metabolism
rate for a few hours. So what I recommend is that you split your
workouts into one morning session and one evening session, so that
you'll be able to use that increased metabolism effect two times a
day.

I never said that you should do 8-12 workouts a day. I think I'd
collapse by the fourth workout 0_o.

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot July 2nd 07 10:47 AM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

ps.com...
wrote:
[...]

OK, but let's say you worked out every 3 hours (8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm,
11pm) then that's got to be better right? That way you're elevating your
metabolism from 8am until past midnight! And that's with only working out
every 3 hours, since your metabolism isn't a light switch (On/Off) it must
slow down in the third hour? Therefore, working out every 2 hours must be
even better (8am, 10am, noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm) - that's just a
matter of splitting up your routine into 8 parts, which really wouldn't be
too hard.

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot July 2nd 07 09:34 PM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

"joeu2004" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 2, 2:47 am, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
wrote:
"MuscleMan2885" wrote in message
When you exercise, you stimulate your body's metabolism. For a few
hours after you exercise your body has an increased metabolism.
[....] So what I recommend is that you split your workouts into one
morning session and one evening session, so that you'll be able to
use that increased metabolism effect two times a day.

[....]
OK, but let's say you worked out every 3 hours (8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm,
8pm, 11pm) then that's got to be better right?

Not necessarily. You continue to commit the fallacy of exaggeration.
Just because something is good __in_moderation__, that does not mean
it is good in the extreme. Conversely, just because something is not
good in the extreme, that does not mean it is not good in moderation.

I am neither subscribing to nor debunking "MuscleMan's" assertion.
But your comments are unreasonable, IMHO, which seems very
uncharacteristic of you. I wonder if someone has hijacked your login
and is trying to discredit you by posting absurd comments ;-).

Damn, I only got involved in this thread because MuscleMan spammed his blog.
Just thought I'd have a little fun with him (and to see if he could explain
any exercise related topic other than just copy-pasting some article onto
his blog).

Cyli July 3rd 07 02:39 AM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 03:47:37 -0600, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
wrote:

OK, but let's say you worked out every 3 hours (8am, 11am, 2pm, 5pm, 8pm,
11pm) then that's got to be better right? That way you're elevating your
metabolism from 8am until past midnight! And that's with only working out
every 3 hours, since your metabolism isn't a light switch (On/Off) it must
slow down in the third hour? Therefore, working out every 2 hours must be
even better (8am, 10am, noon, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm) - that's just a
matter of splitting up your routine into 8 parts, which really wouldn't be
too hard.

Uh, huh. Interesting reasoning, if you were a pro athlete or fitness
instructor being paid to run classes at those hours.

Most people have real lives that prohibit that sort of exercise
schedule.

If you're sincere in this idea, I suggest you see a mental health
professional before bothering with physical exercise.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Spammers_Should_Be_Shot July 3rd 07 07:51 AM

(how much exercise is advisable to do a week to lose weight)

"joeu2004" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 2, 1:34 pm, "Spammers_Should_Be_Shot"
wrote:
Damn, I only got involved in this thread because MuscleMan spammed his

blog.
Just thought I'd have a little fun with him (and to see if he could

explain
any exercise related topic other than just copy-pasting some article

onto
his blog).

I disagree with your use of the term "spam" in this case. IMHO,
"spam" is a posting that has no other purpose than to advertise (or
troll). In this case, "MuscleMan" responded to an inquiry with an
opinion that addressed the OP. It does not surprise me that many
responders are trainers and wannabees who have web sites of their
own. It is not unreasonable for them to refer people to their web
site, IMHO.

If you wanted to challenge MM's understanding or debunk his theory,
you could have done so with reasonable rebuttal. Your thoughtless
taunts and exaggerations merely make __you__ sound like someone who
does not know what you're talking about, IMHO.

OK, you're not familiar with MM's postings. A quick review: on June 26-28
he started the same "spam" thread (with link to his blog) 6 times to 6
different newsgroups. Since then, he's posted to this thread (originally
with his blog link - thankfully that's since be removed) and one other post
to a different thread (also of course with his blog linked). So yeah, at
this point his ratio of spam to non-spam is pretty damn poor. Depending
upon how you want to classify his later posts it's either 6:2 or 8:0
(spam:non-spam).

If you wanted to look further, you could also consider that in the last week
since setting up his blog, he's posted 10 times on Yahoo Answers (using the
name DaMan2885), all 10 of his posts want people to go to his blog.

That concludes his postings, so would you consider his pattern to be that of
a spammer or not?

As far as how I responded to his posts, I was attempting to "troll" but as
I've never done it before my trolling skills are lacking. Maybe I shoulda
just pulled a Bob and screamed obscenities and told him to FOAD?