FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Which way to do bridge is better, and why? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=69754)

Steve Freides[_2_] September 23rd 14 04:12 PM

Which way to do bridge is better, and why?

wrote:
I found 2 ways to do the bridge online:

Look further - there are more.

(1)
http://runnersfeed.com/wp-content/up...k_Bridge_2.jpg

That is a hip bridge, not a back bridge, and the idea of it is
specifcally _not_ to use your back but to maximally contract your
gluteal muscles.

(2)
http://www.alkavadlo.com/wp-content/...74830_n1 .jpg

I don't know what that one is, an upside down pushup, perhaps. Looking
around, I see similar to this a lot, but it mislabelled, IMHO.

I've always done it the 2nd way simply because I "made up" an
exercise for the back that was the opposite of the plank for the abs.
However, most of the online info refers to the 1st way. Which way is
better, and why?

This is a traditional back bridge, albeit not such a good example.

http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Do-a-Bridge-Step-8.jpg

It can also be done, with similar posture in the back but with only the
head on the ground, and is called a neck bridge.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

crixussteave October 27th 14 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Freides[_2_] (Post 634946)
wrote:
[...]

Lie flat on the floor on your back with the hands by your side and your knees bent. Your feet should be placed around shoulder width. This will be your starting position.
Pushing mainly with your heels, lift your hips off the floor while keeping your back straight. Breathe out as you perform this part of the motion and hold at the top for a second.
Slowly go back to the starting position as you breathe in.
Variations: You can perform this exercise one leg at a time.

its Good one if your beginner.