FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bench Press question (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26899)

im2manly January 27th 05 09:05 PM

Bench Press question

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way I have a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a arch when you bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get a better work out by arching or by not arching? thanks

Hobbes January 28th 05 05:12 AM

In article , im2manly
wrote:

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way Ihave

a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a archwhen you
bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get abetter work out
by arching or by not arching? thanks-- im2manly

Define 'better workout'.

--
Keith

im2manly January 29th 05 12:05 AM

Well will I work my pecs better if i arch or am i just better off not arching

Hobbes January 29th 05 06:06 AM

In article , im2manly
wrote:

Hobbes Wrote: In article , im2manly
wrote:
-
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way Ihave-
a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a archwhen you
bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get abetter work out
by arching or by not arching? thanks-- im2manly

Define 'better workout'.

--
Keith

Well will I work my pecs better if i arch or am i just better off

notarching-- im2manly

Arching allows heavier weight to be used safely. If you are concerned with
bodybuilding and pec development I'd suggest ditching the flat bench and
doing incline benches - don't arch.

Flat benches aren't a great chest exercise, IMO.

--
Keith

Jeff Finlayson January 29th 05 06:28 AM

im2manly wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
im2manly wrote:

I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way
Ihave-a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a arch
when you bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get a
better work out by arching or by not arching?
thanks-- im2manly

Define 'better workout'.

Well will I work my pecs better if i arch or am i just better off not
arching

Probably better by not arching. Arching reduces range of motion at
the bottom of the bench where the pecs do most of the work. But
arching allows heavier weights to be lifted. I think the former
will make a bigger difference.

Larry Hodges February 2nd 05 08:51 AM

im2manly wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, but have been lifting for a while. Any way I
have a question about bench pressing. I know that if you use a arch
when you bench you can lift alot more. My question is will i get a
better work out by arching or by not arching? thanks

You can arch, but always keep your butt on the bench. If the butt comes off
the bench, you're arching too much. And Hobbes knows more about this stuff
than all of us in this thread, so listen to his advice over the rest of us.
--
-Larry

bellfit February 7th 05 11:34 PM

You are doing bench press to make your pecs (chest) huge, right? When
you arch your back, you rob your pecs from the the work, and load your
lats instead.

Read more about pecs eercises at:
http://www.gymgoal.com/exs.jsp

npne February 8th 05 10:35 AM

"bellfit" wrote in message
oups.com...
You are doing bench press to make your pecs (chest) huge, right? When
you arch your back, you rob your pecs from the the work, and load your
lats instead.

Read more about pecs eercises at:
http://www.gymgoal.com/exs.jsp

Sorry, is that a yes or a no?