FitnessBanter.com

-   Swimming (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best way to burn calories (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=67427)

George August 18th 11 05:44 PM

Best way to burn calories

On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.

I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take
the punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?

Fredrik Jonson August 19th 11 09:55 AM

Best way to burn calories

In Duncan Heenan wrote:
"George" wrote:
On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.

I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take the
punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?

BMI 28

It is well known that BMI isn't very well suited as a obeseness indicator for
athletes, as muscles has a higher density than body fat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_ma...d_shortcomings

Also, people that are overweight or obese might have a hard time with running
due to the stress a heavy body puts on joints when running. Swimming, bicykling,
or skiing is likely less straining for untrained joints and muscles.

Not that running is bad for you, not at all. I'm just saying there are other
aspects than only number of watts expended involved in choosing your exercise
regime when trying to lose weight.

--
Fredrik Jonson

Duncan Heenan August 19th 11 10:10 AM

Best way to burn calories

I agree that BMI is an ambiguous measure for obesity, but it is still the
mostly widely used one in the medical world, and I was asked what
constitutes 'quite fat'. I still think swimming is not good for weight loss,
even though it is very good for cardio vascular fitness and subtleness. Look
at any leisure pool and look at the regular users. I think you'll find there
are quite a lot of fatties there, even though they may be reasonably fit.

--
Duncan Heenan

betsy August 20th 11 12:50 AM

Best way to burn calories

On 8/19/2011 2:10 AM, Duncan Heenan wrote:
subtleness. Look at any leisure pool and look at the regular users. I
think you'll find there are quite a lot of fatties there, even though
they may be reasonably fit.

Many of the regular users at one of the pools I go to are there because
they are obese and/or have injuries and can't do other forms of exercise.

While being overweight doesn't improve swimming speed, extra fat isn't
as much of a disadvantage to a swimmer as it is to a runner. Overweight
athletes may naturally choose swimming over running. There may be less
motivation for a swimmer to limit calories, since the fat doesn't limit
performance in an extreme way.

--Betsy

Kallis21 August 23rd 11 11:56 AM

Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories.
Just in 30 minutes a person can easily burn 300 calories.
Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline can burn 180 calories in 30 minutes. Bicycling and Swimming of 30 minutes can burn 400 to 500 calories.

Duncan Heenan August 23rd 11 08:42 PM

Best way to burn calories

"Kallis21" wrote in message

Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories.
Just in 30 minutes a person can easily burn 300 calories.
Walking, Sprinting and adding hills or an incline can burn 180 calories
in 30 minutes. Bicycling and Swimming of 30 minutes can burn 400 to 500
calories.
--
Kallis21

Your quoted figures shows that running is actually using fewer calories
(300) than swimming (400-500). Is that right?

Thomass September 9th 11 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 627619)
On 11/08/11 12:38 p, Duncan Heenan wrote:
I disagree. Swimming is non weight bearing. test show that running burns
many more calories per minnute than swimming. This is also bourne out by
the fact that some very good swimmers (sepecially marathon swimmers) are
quite fat.

I agree about running over swimming (assuming that your frame can take
the punishment) but how do you define "quite fat"?

Cardio exercises are good to lose the weight and burn the calories of the body. as you mentioned that swimming same like this running and cycling is also good to burn the calories and fat.

irvine boot camp

sandradavis November 23rd 11 06:41 AM

Cardio workouts are the best for burning lots of calories. Running or doing a cardio workout video would be the best. I suggest doing it for at least 30 minutes every time, so you work up a good sweat and really get your heart pumping. The more you move, the more calories you will burn.

johnssimpsons December 5th 11 07:37 PM

Swimming is one of the best exercise for fat burning. It makes work of our whole body. It is very safe exercise. A man can't get injuries during swimming. Swimming makes our body flexible and active for any task. Swimming reduces weight rapidly.