FitnessBanter.com

-   Walking (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lack of progress using elliptical trainer (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28904)

[email protected] March 24th 05 05:50 PM

Lack of progress using elliptical trainer

I am 61 and in reasonbly good condition - trying to improve through
regular exercise with my dr's concurrence.

In addition to regular workouts on my Total Gym I spend 45 minutes
daily on my elliptical trainer (Precor EFX) using variable resistance
and pedaling backwards about half the time.

I have been following this regimen faithfully for 6 months, yet I see
no evidence of improved leg function. When I walk my legs feel stiff
and sore, and I seem to have no more stamina now than I did 6 months
ago. I tire just as easily and become short of breath just as quickly
as before.

Can anybody suggest why I don't seem to be seeing signs of improvement?

Thanks
Dave

danmartin February 24th 10 03:47 AM

Lack of progress using elliptical trainer

In article .com,
wrote:

I am 61 and in reasonbly good condition - trying to improve through
regular exercise with my dr's concurrence.

In addition to regular workouts on my Total Gym I spend 45 minutes
daily on my elliptical trainer (Precor EFX) using variable resistance
and pedaling backwards about half the time.

I have been following this regimen faithfully for 6 months, yet I see
no evidence of improved leg function. When I walk my legs feel stiff
and sore, and I seem to have no more stamina now than I did 6 months
ago. I tire just as easily and become short of breath just as quickly
as before.

Can anybody suggest why I don't seem to be seeing signs of improvement?

Thanks
Dave

If you want to improve your walking ability, you should train by waking.
The eliptical machine uses different muscles than waking.

JP Dominee March 21st 11 08:56 AM

Elliptical trainers reduce the stress and strain on your legs through an elliptical motion. Your feet never leave the pedals. It is like walking in midair. In addition, there is no reverse action.
Elliptical trainers are equipped with a variety of challenging exercise programs.
Try and I am sure you will be happy with elliptical trainers than just walking.

WibbleWam June 28th 11 12:50 PM

You should definately take brisk walks instead. After a while you can even start with low pace jogging.

Clinton June 29th 11 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 325287)
I am 61 and in reasonbly good condition - trying to improve through
regular exercise with my dr's concurrence.

In addition to regular workouts on my Total Gym I spend 45 minutes
daily on my elliptical trainer (Precor EFX) using variable resistance
and pedaling backwards about half the time.

I have been following this regimen faithfully for 6 months, yet I see
no evidence of improved leg function. When I walk my legs feel stiff
and sore, and I seem to have no more stamina now than I did 6 months
ago. I tire just as easily and become short of breath just as quickly
as before.

Can anybody suggest why I don't seem to be seeing signs of improvement?

Thanks
Dave

The thing with leg muscles is the vast variety of movements that they do. The elliptical is just one range of movement. I suggest that you vary leg exercises. And also focus on improving flexibility to improve range of motion. That will also improve leg function.

As for stamina...a few things come to mind;
-it could be that you gained some fitness in the initial stages but then you plateaued. To overcome this, you could find a more intense source of cardio, or you could apply some kind of interval training approach on it
-the other thing that comes to mind is...are you increasing the resistance thinking it will provide more cardio workout? To get the heart pumping at a descent rate, faster movements are generally better than slow. You could try to simply reduce the resistance to increase the pace of movement

Hope that helps, let me know how things go. :)

Derevcere November 19th 13 11:02 PM

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!