FitnessBanter.com

-   Walking in the UK (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25175)

Peewiglet December 14th 04 10:33 PM

Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Rooney December 14th 04 10:36 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:33:16 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Larrig Groo, if you want an Englsh person to have any idea where
you're talking about.
I find the names difficult to remember, for the same reason.

Peewiglet December 14th 04 10:39 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:36:07 +0000, Rooney wrote:

[...]
(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Larrig Groo,

Thanks :)

if you want an Englsh

But look: it's swallowed half your vowels already....

person to have any idea where
you're talking about.
I find the names difficult to remember, for the same reason.

You can say that again....

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Syke December 14th 04 10:49 PM

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
/ \ / \

There's a series starting on 13th January (BBC 2) on that very subject. In
Gaelic with subtitles Not sure if will be visible all over UK

Regards

Pat Macguire

spongebob December 14th 04 10:52 PM

"Peewiglet" wrote

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin

develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place

names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been?

Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and

make
it up as they go along?

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Graham

Dave Mclaughlin December 14th 04 10:52 PM

Peewiglet wrote:
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Someone posted a web page here a while back. It had a list of Scottish
mountains and .wav files so you could hear the correct pronunciation.
I'll see if I can dig it out.....

--
Dave McLaughlin

Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

Peewiglet December 14th 04 10:59 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:49:55 -0000, "Syke"
wrote:

[...]
There's a series starting on 13th January (BBC 2) on that very subject. In
Gaelic with subtitles Not sure if will be visible all over UK

Thank you! Synchronicity or what?! :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Sandy Birrell December 14th 04 11:01 PM

Peewiglet wrote:
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Knowing how much you like to shop, these might help :)

http://www.hillwalker.org.uk/Products/Hillwalker/Munros/4/Reviews%20by%20Professionals/TM4%20Montagnes%20et%20Collines(in%20English).htm

I don't know how good they are, maybe someone else does.

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Dave Mclaughlin December 14th 04 11:03 PM

Dave Mclaughlin wrote:

Peewiglet wrote:

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?
How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Someone posted a web page here a while back. It had a list of Scottish
mountains and .wav files so you could hear the correct pronunciation.
I'll see if I can dig it out.....

Spongebob beat me to it - by about 30 seconds!!

http://www.munromagic.com/