FitnessBanter.com

-   General (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Cardio Machine for Lower Back Strengthening? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=45556)

Joe Weaks December 14th 06 02:34 AM

Best Cardio Machine for Lower Back Strengthening?

I'm looking at buying an Elliptical, Treadmill, Bike, Recumbent, or
Climber for Cardio. I'm id decent shape, less than 20 pounds over
ideal.

I have chronic pain around a fused vertebrae in lower back, so want my
choice to also be the one that gives the most benefit as far as lower
back strengthening. (A rower would be too direct/painful.)

Is there a clear choice which of the above makes the right machine? I'm
thinking Elliptical.
Thanks.

Steve Freides December 14th 06 03:18 AM

Best Cardio Machine for Lower Back Strengthening?

"Joe Weaks" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at buying an Elliptical, Treadmill, Bike, Recumbent, or
Climber for Cardio. I'm id decent shape, less than 20 pounds over
ideal.

I have chronic pain around a fused vertebrae in lower back, so want my
choice to also be the one that gives the most benefit as far as lower
back strengthening. (A rower would be too direct/painful.)

Is there a clear choice which of the above makes the right machine?
I'm
thinking Elliptical.
Thanks.

I highly recommend you read this book:

http://www.backfitpro.com/ultbackbook.htm

While it's rather technical, it will give you some very good guidance
about choosing exercise that will make your back stronger without
damaging it further. Someone in your position cannot simply choose a
machine - you must be aware of the right form/technique to use,
regardless of the exercise. Proper exercise selection _and_ proper
technique together are what you need.

Just my opinion, but I have suffered a debilitating back injury - you
can read more about my history and my training at the site below if you
wish.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Proctologically Violated©® December 16th 06 07:21 AM

Best Cardio Machine for Lower Back Strengthening?

Anything that is back-extending (tension vs. compression) would likely prove
helpful.
The old Versa Climber (sleeping w/ the enemy, Julia Roberts), Covert
Bailey's old Health Rider.
A real stair climber might be better than the other stuff.
My HoloBarre is Da Bomb for back health, but it's not yet available.
Soon, tho.
Dips, hanging by your hands, hanging leg lifts, chinups, inversion, etc are
all good as well.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

oups.com...

Joe Watts February 15th 07 09:33 PM

Best Cardio Machine for Lower Back Strengthening?

Have had chronic back pain for many years till it has deteriorated to Spinal
Canal Stenosis. Saw this machine on Australia's "Beyond Tomorrow" and
decided to give it a try. Best move I ever made. Abdominal core, back, leg
and arm muscles have strengthened to a point I am more of a stock-whip than
a slack piece of string. Recent EEG shows no cause for concern. Lung
capacity and endurance has increased. Physical and mental well-being have
improved
Best of all is that there has been no deterioration in the lower back..No
"slipped" disc. No pain or additional numbness/burning in 6 months. Touch
wood.
AND........IT"S FUN
http://www.trikke.com/

BTW.Am 60 y/o

--
All incoming & outgoing email is scanned using the latest weapon in
antivirus software, Nod32.

PLEASE NOTE:

Names & Email Addresses have been removed to protect the privacy of those
particular individuals,... The Email to be forwarded CAN be edited in its'
Window..(this practice is recommended when forwarding all emails).

oups.com...

Ostttarter September 12th 14 07:41 PM

Nice posts here. Thanks for sharing.

JMFIT October 4th 17 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Weaks (Post 498145)
I'm looking at buying an Elliptical, Treadmill, Bike, Recumbent, or
Climber for Cardio. I'm id decent shape, less than 20 pounds over
ideal.

I have chronic pain around a fused vertebrae in lower back, so want my
choice to also be the one that gives the most benefit as far as lower
back strengthening. (A rower would be too direct/painful.)

Is there a clear choice which of the above makes the right machine? I'm
thinking Elliptical.
Thanks.

Hi Joe, have you tried Pilates Reformer or Supreme Pilates Pro machines? These are machines that you can use to perform pilates exercises. This means exercises that you do to strengthen your co lower body part which is your torso that covers your stomach, back and hip muscles. I suggest you make a research about Pilates Exercise and find out if this will help you.