FitnessBanter.com

-   Walking (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Average step size (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=35917)

Your name November 17th 05 09:39 PM

Average step size

Hi,

Does anybody know what the average step size is for a person who's 5'2"?

Jim Hill November 18th 05 02:18 PM

Average step size

"Your name" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi,

Does anybody know what the average step size is for a person who's 5'2"?

Average step size is usually taken to be 30 inches or 75cm, however this is
not linked to the individual's height.

You are not likely to get a useful value, based only on the person's height.
Surprisingly, height is one of the least relevant factors affecting step
size.

Step size (p - pace length) is determined by walking speed (v - velocity)
and pace frequency (c - cadence):
p = v / c
i.e. pace length equals walking speed divided by cadence.
Observe a column of soldiers marching - regardless of their height they will
be "in step". Thus they will be moving at the same speed, cadence and pace
length - regardless of their different individual heights.

Observe a couple, of significantly different heights, walking closely
together and they will probably be "walking in step" - again their pace
lengths will be matched despite their height differences.

Probably the most reliable relationship governing pace length is that is
roughly proportional to the square root of the walking speed. If you double
your walking speed, your pace length (and also your cadence) will go up by
about 40%.

In practice pace length of an individual can vary significantly with:
gradient (steepness of slope) and whether walking up hill or down;
total weight being carried;
personal fitness;
motivation.

--
Regards - Jim

trekpole November 26th 05 05:55 AM

Average step size

nice reply Jim.
I measured my pace years ago and it has not changed much overall. My
hiking partner and I can adapt to each other's step length with
reasonable ease(for no special reason) though there is about a foot
difference in our heights. When we are attentive, it is easy for us to
pace in 5 ft increments on reasonably level ground,so we can have a
rough estimate of distance if we want or need it.

[email protected] November 28th 05 07:51 PM

Average step size

Good answer. As an example on the height thing, my wife and I are both
5' 8" tall. My trunk is longer than hers, and her legs are longer than
mine. Same height but different step sizes.

Robert White March 20th 06 06:20 PM

Average step size

I would suggest going to a track and pacing 100 meters one way and counting
the number of steps you use.

Then reverse your direction and pace back for 100 meters again counting the
steps.

(This would take into account the wind's effect as you are going both into
it and against it)

Divide the total paces by 200 meters to get your average pace/distance.
oups.com...

Del Cecchi March 21st 06 03:45 AM

Average step size

"Robert White" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I would suggest going to a track and pacing 100 meters one way and
counting the number of steps you use.

Then reverse your direction and pace back for 100 meters again counting
the steps.

(This would take into account the wind's effect as you are going both
into it and against it)

Divide the total paces by 200 meters to get your average pace/distance.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Good answer. As an example on the height thing, my wife and I are
both
5' 8" tall. My trunk is longer than hers, and her legs are longer than
mine. Same height but different step sizes.

Back in the day, the standard US Army pace for marching was 120 30inch
steps per minute.

Krisanya February 25th 13 01:14 AM

Thank you for the*informative*post.

Jolia June 20th 13 02:02 PM

I also think that you should take 30 inches or 75 cm. That was the best thing for you. Anyway i would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us.Facials

jayditcher August 1st 13 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolia (Post 633963)
I also think that you should take 30 inches or 75 cm. That was the best thing for you. Anyway i would like thanks to you that you share this post here with us.

I couldn't agree more with you, you hit right on the mark.

Etikp December 21st 13 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Your name (Post 403421)
Hi,

Does anybody know what the average step size is for a person who's 5'2"?

I think it does not matter, you should just walk normally how you walk.