FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   INVERSION TABLES COMPARISONS / EVALUATIONS? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25102)

[email protected] December 13th 04 11:49 AM

INVERSION TABLES COMPARISONS / EVALUATIONS?

Greetings

I realize this is a weights group and hope this post may not be too
inappropriate. (I have seen posted on this group numerous references
to inversion tables.) This is not technically a cross-post, as I've
waited over the weekend for responses from the alt.support.chronic-pain
group I originally posted to.

I'd like to buy an inversion table but am having difficulty finding
enough reviews to be able to make any sort
of informed decision about which one to get.

I did find a handful of reviews at epinions.com, and they were helpful,
but 5
opinions on two different tables is hardly enough for me. Has anyone
seen any
other site online that has more user reviews?

Thanks!

RC

John M. Williams December 13th 04 12:30 PM

wrote:

Greetings

I realize this is a weights group and hope this post may not be too
inappropriate. (I have seen posted on this group numerous references
to inversion tables.) This is not technically a cross-post, as I've
waited over the weekend for responses from the alt.support.chronic-pain
group I originally posted to.

I'd like to buy an inversion table but am having difficulty finding
enough reviews to be able to make any sort
of informed decision about which one to get.

I did find a handful of reviews at epinions.com, and they were helpful,
but 5
opinions on two different tables is hardly enough for me. Has anyone
seen any
other site online that has more user reviews?

That depends on which ones you've seen reviewed. A few of us have
them, but types vary, and you aren't providing much information.

Big Bill December 13th 04 01:37 PM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:30:29 -0500, John M. Williams

[...]

Speaking as a cuddlesome 300lber, I wouldn't bother with one, having
tried a manual version, that wasn't motorised. Which costs bucks.

BB
--
www.kruse.co.uk
home of SEO that's shiny!

David December 13th 04 02:39 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings

I realize this is a weights group and hope this post may not be too
inappropriate. (I have seen posted on this group numerous references
to inversion tables.) This is not technically a cross-post, as I've
waited over the weekend for responses from the alt.support.chronic-pain
group I originally posted to.

I'd like to buy an inversion table but am having difficulty finding
enough reviews to be able to make any sort
of informed decision about which one to get.

I did find a handful of reviews at epinions.com, and they were helpful,
but 5
opinions on two different tables is hardly enough for me. Has anyone
seen any
other site online that has more user reviews?

Thanks!

RC

There are two basic systems of inversion that you can do at home on a piece
of equipment.
Ones where you clamp by your ankles - these are basically crap and are not
effective.
Then you have the ones where you hang bent legged and there is no clamp as
such. These work much better if you are after traction or decompression

John M. Williams December 13th 04 05:58 PM

Big Bill wrote:

John M. Williams wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I don't think I've ever seen a motorized inversion table. Admittedly,
300 pounds is usually the max weight limit of the home models, and I
imagine that your weight might tug mightily at your ankles during full
inversion, though many spinal patients never go to full inversion.
Most inversion tables have a limiting strap to limit the degree of
inversion.

John M. Williams December 13th 04 06:02 PM

"David" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

No, David. We have been through this before. You just don't like
standard inversion tables. I challenged you to come up with something
in the literature which supported your claim, and you couldn't. All
you could say is that you talked to a PT who liked 90/90 inversion
better, and you thought it was better for feeble elderly people.

A couple of studies have shown 90/90 inversion to be effective. Many
more studies support the effectiveness and safe use of standard
inversion tables amongst normotensive people with spinal issues. So
your claim that they are "basically crap and are not effective" is, at
best, uninformed.

It seems that your personal prejudices in medical matters are really
shining through these days.

Will Brink December 13th 04 06:17 PM

In article ,
John M. Williams wrote:

"David" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Him uninformed? Noooooooooooooooooooo.

It seems that your personal prejudices in medical matters are really
shining through these days.

You think?

--
Will Brink @ http://www.brinkzone.com/

Lee Michaels December 13th 04 06:17 PM

"Will Brink" wrote in message
In article ,
John M. Williams wrote:

"David" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Here is a hint for you David.

If you want moronic medical opinions, killfile all the smart guys.

Then you may find the answers more acceptable to your tiny world perpective.

Glad to help.

David December 13th 04 07:04 PM

"John M. Williams" wrote in message
"David" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

For effective traction there has to be enough downward force - the standard
inversion table only allows inversion at a 45 deg angle - that is stated in
the users manuals for these machines - the reason you are limited to 45
degrees is because of the how the clamp works around your ankles. If the
angle is greater then constriction of circulation occurs and the whole
process becomes dangerous and counter productive. The sort of machine that
we like here is called Bioflex
http://www.onlyfitness.com.au/fixmyback.htm

Actually the old and feeble would find this difficult - (I don;t know where
you got that from that I made a reference to 'old and feeble')

The benefit of the Bioflex is that you hang by your upper legs - you can
get max traction and it basically only hits your spine - plus you can
exercise in a safe way with legs bent - for doing ab crunches and back
extensions which the other machines don;t allow. Without exercise you are
generally wasting your time doing inversion therapy.

The standard inversion tables with the ankle clamp are nice and safe - you
can fall asleep while inverted to that moderate degree - which is a good
indication that they don;t work - 'traction' has to involve some discomfort
or it is simply not effective and you can;t get it at 45 deg

David December 13th 04 07:07 PM

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Will Brink" wrote in message
In article ,