FitnessBanter.com

-   Aerobic (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does eating red meat increase our height/muscle mass? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=54706)

Prisoner at War December 23rd 07 08:49 PM

Does eating red meat increase our height/muscle mass?

On Dec 23, 6:35 am, dorsy1943 wrote:

In his book, Nathan Pritikin answers that question and says it is not
the protein, but the fat which makes people taller and heavier. But
he says it is a trade off and you endanger your health with more fat.
I do not know if he is right. Just commenting on what I read.

Dolores

I can certainly agree with "heavier," and I'm sure fat has some role
in height as well.

Speaking of books, have you read Gary Taubes latest controversial
bestseller? He claims fat and calories aren't to blame for obesity
and disease -- neither a sedentary lifestyle! -- but carbs, carbs,
carbs.

Damn, this **** keeps swinging back and forth....

[email protected] December 24th 07 02:23 AM

Does eating red meat increase our height/muscle mass?

On Dec 23, 12:49*pm, Prisoner at War
wrote:
On Dec 23, 6:35 am, dorsy1943 wrote:

In his book, Nathan Pritikin answers that question and says it is not
the protein, but the fat which makes people taller and heavier. *But
he says it is a trade off and you endanger your health with more fat.
I do not know if he is right. *Just commenting on what I read.

Dolores

I can certainly agree with "heavier," and I'm sure fat has some role
in height as well.

Speaking of books, have you read Gary Taubes latest controversial
bestseller? *He claims fat and calories aren't to blame for obesity
and disease -- neither a sedentary lifestyle! -- but carbs, carbs,
carbs.

Damn, this **** keeps swinging back and forth....

Total nonsense, IMO. I am light, thin, strong and I eat under 10% fat
and very high carb. It seems to me that there is no enemy in terms of
food...the enemy is excessive calories from any kind of food.
Healthwise, fat has the most calories...more than twice that of carbs
or protein. Furthermore the concensus among nutritionists is that fats
can be a problem, especially saturated fat, at least for some people.

The other idea seems strange as well...that a fat diet makes you
taller? I suppose that could be the case if a person otherwise gets
too few calories and not enough nutrients to grow to their potential,
but this is hardly an endorsement for fat....just eating adequately in
terms of calories, vitamins, minerals, etc. Genetics is obviously the
biggest factor with heighth anyway. Show me your other family members
and I will predict real quick without even seeing you about how tall
you are going to be. How much fat you eat probably has zero to do with
it...unless you are living in starvation mode, in which case you might
want to trade in your computer for some CARBS so you can grow into a
nice tall frame. LOL dkw

[email protected] December 26th 07 03:58 AM

Does eating red meat increase our height/muscle mass?

My great grandfather (who was alive when I was a child) grew up in the
slums of Greenock, Scotland in absolute grinding poverty - his
stepfather was frequently unemployed, and eventually my great
grandfather became an inmate of a charitable institution for destitute
children called a "Ragged and Industrial School".

He was 5' 3" tall as an adult, and every one of his 9 children towered
over him, even the daughters. He was tiny from protein deficiency. He
got very little in the way of milk, eggs, cheese or meat in his diet
as a child.

Lack of protein as a child = short stature.

M.

coucouza December 27th 13 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner at War (Post 571081)
On Dec 23, 6:35 am, dorsy1943 wrote:

In his book, Nathan Pritikin answers that question and says it is not
the protein, but the fat which makes people taller and heavier. But
he says it is a trade off and you endanger your health with more fat.
I do not know if he is right. Just commenting on what I read.

Dolores

I can certainly agree with "heavier," and I'm sure fat has some role
in height as well.

Speaking of books, have you read Gary Taubes latest controversial
bestseller? He claims fat and calories aren't to blame for obesity
and disease -- neither a sedentary lifestyle! -- but carbs, carbs,
carbs.

Damn, this **** keeps swinging back and forth....

yes but with exercises. you should eat 100g/meal

ricky May 30th 14 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner at War (Post 571081)
On Dec 23, 6:35 am, dorsy1943 wrote:

In his book, Nathan Pritikin answers that question and says it is not
the protein, but the fat which makes people taller and heavier. But
he says it is a trade off and you endanger your health with more fat.
I do not know if he is right. Just commenting on what I read.

Dolores

I can certainly agree with "heavier," and I'm sure fat has some role
in height as well.

Speaking of books, have you read Gary Taubes latest controversial
bestseller? He claims fat and calories aren't to blame for obesity
and disease -- neither a sedentary lifestyle! -- but carbs, carbs,
carbs.

Damn, this **** keeps swinging back and forth....

I am not agree with this fat and calories play a significant role in our weight and fitness , proper intake of protein and calories help us to remain fit and smart.However carbs play his own role .