FitnessBanter.com

-   Walking in the UK (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them? (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25175)

Peewiglet December 14th 04 11:33 PM

Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Rooney December 14th 04 11:36 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:33:16 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Larrig Groo, if you want an Englsh person to have any idea where
you're talking about.
I find the names difficult to remember, for the same reason.

Peewiglet December 14th 04 11:39 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:36:07 +0000, Rooney wrote:

[...]
(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Larrig Groo,

Thanks :)

if you want an Englsh

But look: it's swallowed half your vowels already....

person to have any idea where
you're talking about.
I find the names difficult to remember, for the same reason.

You can say that again....

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Syke December 14th 04 11:49 PM

"Peewiglet" wrote in message
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
/ \ / \

There's a series starting on 13th January (BBC 2) on that very subject. In
Gaelic with subtitles Not sure if will be visible all over UK

Regards

Pat Macguire

spongebob December 14th 04 11:52 PM

"Peewiglet" wrote

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin

develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place

names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been?

Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and

make
it up as they go along?

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Graham

Dave Mclaughlin December 14th 04 11:52 PM

Peewiglet wrote:
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Someone posted a web page here a while back. It had a list of Scottish
mountains and .wav files so you could hear the correct pronunciation.
I'll see if I can dig it out.....

--
Dave McLaughlin

Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum

Peewiglet December 14th 04 11:59 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:49:55 -0000, "Syke"
wrote:

[...]
There's a series starting on 13th January (BBC 2) on that very subject. In
Gaelic with subtitles Not sure if will be visible all over UK

Thank you! Synchronicity or what?! :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Sandy Birrell December 15th 04 12:01 AM

Peewiglet wrote:
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Knowing how much you like to shop, these might help :)

http://www.hillwalker.org.uk/Products/Hillwalker/Munros/4/Reviews%20by%20Professionals/TM4%20Montagnes%20et%20Collines(in%20English).htm

I don't know how good they are, maybe someone else does.

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Dave Mclaughlin December 15th 04 12:03 AM

Dave Mclaughlin wrote:

Peewiglet wrote:

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?
How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

(And can anyone please tell me how to pronounce Lairig Ghru??)

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Someone posted a web page here a while back. It had a list of Scottish
mountains and .wav files so you could hear the correct pronunciation.
I'll see if I can dig it out.....

Spongebob beat me to it - by about 30 seconds!!

http://www.munromagic.com/

Peewiglet December 15th 04 12:06 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:52:00 GMT, "spongebob" wrote:

[...]
Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Peewiglet December 15th 04 12:09 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:03:13 GMT, Dave Mclaughlin
wrote:

[...]
Spongebob beat me to it - by about 30 seconds!!

http://www.munromagic.com/

Thank you too :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Peewiglet December 15th 04 12:10 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:01:51 GMT, "Sandy Birrell"
wrote:

[...]
Knowing how much you like to shop, these might help :)

http://www.hillwalker.org.uk/Products/Hillwalker/Munros/4/Reviews%20by%20Professionals/TM4%20Montagnes%20et%20Collines(in%20English).htm

Kewl, thanks!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

AndyP December 15th 04 12:15 AM

"spongebob" wrote

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

You get some good effects from doing loads of clicks in quick succession.
(Some of us are easily amused).

Peewiglet December 15th 04 12:34 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:15:58 -0000, "AndyP"
wrote:

"spongebob" wrote

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

You get some good effects from doing loads of clicks in quick succession.
(Some of us are easily amused).

Oooh yes! I see what you mean!! :-)

Wow, my head's spinning now!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Roy December 15th 04 12:44 AM

"spongebob" wrote in message

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Brilliant.

If your out on the hill without your iPod, Ralph Storer's "100 best routes
on Scottish mountains" has pronunciations.

Roy.

BeauGeste December 15th 04 01:41 AM

ok I'm drunk now, after the office christmas dinner but...
Hmm - God know if this has already been posted - why doesn't stuff just
work...? Bah humbug... Anyway, as I was saying...

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

2. I hate the use of the word 'kewl'! Please bring back flogging for
all who should know better...

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Syke December 15th 04 10:35 AM

"spongebob" wrote in message

"Peewiglet" wrote

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin

develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place

names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been?

Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and

make
it up as they go along?

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Graham

But be careful. I wouldn't know myself, but a friend's wife, who is a native
Gaelic speaker, tells me the pronunciation on this site is not very good.

Regards

Pat Macguire

spongebob December 15th 04 10:57 AM

"Syke" wrote

But be careful. I wouldn't know myself, but a friend's wife, who is

a native
Gaelic speaker, tells me the pronunciation on this site is not very

good.

Yes, I did wonder how much Gaelic varies across Western Scotland
(Liathach being the one everyone debates about -th =g or th =
silent?). The language is supposed to be logical, yet there seems to
be room for dispute?

Graham

Gordon Harris December 15th 04 11:03 AM

Peewiglet writes
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Just wait 'til you start on Wales!
--
Gordon Harris

spongebob December 15th 04 11:07 AM

"BeauGeste" wrote

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Kewl! Shurely you mean Sgur Fooar-thuil? ;-)

Graham

bob watkinson December 15th 04 12:21 PM

"spongebob" wrote in message

"BeauGeste" wrote

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Kewl! Shurely you mean Sgur Fooar-thuil? ;-)

Graham

Lets all try to annoy BeauGeste after 3. 1 - 2 - 3 KEWL!!!

Syke December 15th 04 01:02 PM

"Syke" wrote in message

"spongebob" wrote in message

"Peewiglet" wrote

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin

develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place

names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been?

Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and

make
it up as they go along?

Oh, and if you're REALLY,REALLY interested, try and get hold of "Scottish
Hill and Mountain Names" by Peter Drummond, published by Scottish
Mountaineering Trust, ISBN 0-907521-30-4. It'll probably tell you more than
you want to know but is interesting nevertheless.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Michael Farthing December 15th 04 02:07 PM

In message , Peewiglet
writes
I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin to
develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been? Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and make
it up as they go along?

Enquiring minds want to know...

The basic rule about Gaelic is that if in doubt about how a particular
letter or letter combination is pronounced, miss it out. You will be
correct more often than you are incorrect.

But for an expert opinion:

"The difficulties to be surmounted in studying and pronouncing Gaelic
are not at all so formidable or so numerous as they may at first sight
appear"

[MacLaren's Gaelic Self-Taught] Introduction

"The combination of lingual consonants with labials and also g and ch is
noted in that they interpolate an added vowel sound between them and one
generally correspondent to the preceding vowel. Thus, the combinations
ib, ich, ig, im, ip and so on, interpolate this distinct drawl vowel
between them. faibh [falu"v); alba (alabu"); tilg (tchy lyk) etc.
Similarly between the same groups of consonants when they come next each
other in compound words: ban-mhaighstir (banava"shtchyr)."

ibid, Para 37

Can't think what you're making a fuss about.

--
Michael Farthing
Aardvark Ltd

Tony Buckley December 15th 04 02:31 PM

Michael Farthing wrote

Can't think what you're making a fuss about.

And quite right too. Just to recap then Michael, you pronounce Liathach
how...?

Tony
Who wonders what his name would look like were it given the gaelic treatment

Peewiglet December 15th 04 03:04 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:07:25 +0000, Michael Farthing
wrote:

[...]
[MacLaren's Gaelic Self-Taught] Introduction

"The combination of lingual consonants with labials and also g and ch is
noted in that they interpolate an added vowel sound between them and one
generally correspondent to the preceding vowel. Thus, the combinations
ib, ich, ig, im, ip and so on, interpolate this distinct drawl vowel
between them. faibh [falu"v); alba (alabu"); tilg (tchy lyk) etc.
Similarly between the same groups of consonants when they come next each
other in compound words: ban-mhaighstir (banava"shtchyr)."

ibid, Para 37

Can't think what you're making a fuss about.

Yes, it's all much clearer now, thanks.

;-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Michael Farthing December 15th 04 03:19 PM

In message , Tony Buckley
writes
Michael Farthing wrote

Can't think what you're making a fuss about.

And quite right too. Just to recap then Michael, you pronounce Liathach
how...?

:-)

Llee ach

The double l as double ll in million, not as in Welsh.
'ch', of course, as in loch not church.

Well, that's what MacLaren says (I think), but he is a bit guarded:
Para 36: "th: in the middle and end of a word it is _generally_ silent"
[ie. It follows Farthing Para 1: "if in doubt, miss it out" - but only
_generally_ ].

My own view is that it is more sensible to climb it than to pronounce
it.
And it's super to run down.

PS Apologies for extra confusion added by me in post referred to: I made
all the consonant combinations begin with i instead of l

--
Michael Farthing
Aardvark Ltd

Phil Cook December 15th 04 03:35 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 16:41:20 -0800, BeauGeste wrote:

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

Fine. But Storer never said his book was intended for Munro Baggers
did he? No, just the best 100 routes on Scottish Mountains. He's a bit
over-keen on steep (do I someone say precipitous?) grass slopes for
descent but that book is one of the best of it's kind.

2. I hate the use of the word 'kewl'! Please bring back flogging for
all who should know better...

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Why not just call the hills by the translation of their name into
English? Sgurr Fuar-Thuill becomes peak of the cold hollow, simple.

It is said that more than 50% of baggers don't even know which hill
they are on.

Tony Buckley December 15th 04 03:40 PM

Michael Farthing wrote

And quite right too. Just to recap then Michael, you pronounce Liathach
how...?

:-)

Good, that's how it was meant!

Llee ach
[ie. It follows Farthing Para 1: "if in doubt, miss it out" - but only
_generally_ ].

I guessed that it would be that way. I'm all for making an effort with
Scottish Hill names, but that one seems to bamboozle the majority - and god
knows, I'm no expert! I settled on that pronunciation as (a) I've heard
some people who should know how to pronounce it say it that way, and (b)
it's easy to say. A defensible law of least resistance. I have heard
Leo-goch and Lee-attack defended as the One True Way as well, though I've
never had the knowledge, energy or all-round arsedness to argue - or to
change my pronunciation.

My own view is that it is more sensible to climb it than to pronounce
it.

Strangely I haven't yet, but at least I'm prepared for when someone asks
'what did you do today?'. One for the (hopefully near) future.

T.

AndyP December 15th 04 07:18 PM

"BeauGeste" wrote

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

Ralph does say in '100 Best Routes...' "The South Glen Shiel Ridge contains
no less than seven Munros, which can easily be ticked off in a day...". I
haven't done all the route up Aonach Air Chrith he describes but the knife
edge section of it which you'd miss out if you just bagged the Munro
traversing the main ridge is quite spectacular as I remember from several
years ago. Some of his routes are certainly best ignored but I don't think
that's one of them.

Peewiglet December 15th 04 08:12 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:21:55 -0000, "bob watkinson"
wrote:

"spongebob" wrote in message

"BeauGeste" wrote

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Kewl! Shurely you mean Sgur Fooar-thuil? ;-)

Graham

Lets all try to annoy BeauGeste after 3. 1 - 2 - 3 KEWL!!!

:-)

fx: whispers... Kewl...

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

RJ Webb December 15th 04 08:25 PM

Whats the problem?

Cobbler, Saddle, Broad Law ....

Richard Webb

RJ Webb December 15th 04 08:25 PM

Just wait 'til you start on Wales!

That is the easiest country in the world for pronouncable hill
names... I miss them as I struggle with Meallan Liath Coire Mhic
Dhughaill and Ben Tee.

Richard Webb

SteveO December 15th 04 08:28 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:12:53 +0000, Peewiglet
wrote:

Lets all try to annoy BeauGeste after 3. 1 - 2 - 3 KEWL!!!

:-)

fx: whispers... Kewl...

KKKEEEWWWLLL!!!

Kewl is just one of the Coolest wurdz, after Cool I'd say, akshally
no, I'd put Kewl! Before Kewl and both before Cool!

SteveO
--
NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

Sandy Birrell December 15th 04 09:13 PM

Tony Buckley wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote

And quite right too. Just to recap then Michael, you pronounce
Liathach how...?

:-)

Good, that's how it was meant!

Llee ach
[ie. It follows Farthing Para 1: "if in doubt, miss it out" - but
only _generally_ ].

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind I remember an interview with
Sorley Maclean, the Gaelic poet, and in it he was asked how various place
names should be pronounced, Liathach was one of them. If I remember right he
said it depended on where the gaelic speaker came from but the general
pronounciation and that used by the locals was Lia Gach, the 'g' being a
sort of stop of the tounge on the back of the pallet like a soft 'c' as in
loch.

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Phil Cook December 15th 04 09:42 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

I like that spelling of Bealach :-)

Roy December 15th 04 09:43 PM

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 14 Dec 2004 16:41:20 -0800, BeauGeste wrote:

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

Fine. But Storer never said his book was intended for Munro Baggers
did he? No, just the best 100 routes on Scottish Mountains. He's a bit
over-keen on steep (do I someone say precipitous?) grass slopes for
descent but that book is one of the best of it's kind.

I was going to say that's why Storer didn't call his book "Munro bagging for
purile tickers" but you sort of beat me to it.

Kewl!!!

Roy.

Sandy Birrell December 15th 04 09:50 PM

Phil Cook wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

I like that spelling of Bealach :-)

An english speaker writing down names as he hears them pronounced by the
people of the area, as you read through old maps you come across some
crackers :)

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Phil Cook December 15th 04 10:14 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:50:32 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:13:41 GMT, Sandy Birrell wrote:

As you can see by this map of 1832 it was spelt Leagach.

http://193.130.15.3:80/lizardtech/is...d=700&hei=500&

shorter link
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2223690A

I like that spelling of Bealach :-)

An english speaker writing down names as he hears them pronounced by the
people of the area, as you read through old maps you come across some
crackers :)

I've just had a look at the Scotish Library maps online and have found
Ben Liughach on Bartholomew's 1892 map.

How do you get to the URL to show a specific area of map Sandy?