FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Smith Machine Bench Press vs. Chest Press Machine (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=27890)

mikem February 21st 05 03:30 AM

Smith Machine Bench Press vs. Chest Press Machine

I've been doing Chest Press Machine and Shoulder Press Machine in my
routine. I KNOW it's better to do Free-Weight Bench Press & Overhead
Press instead of these.

My question, however, is this:

Today I did a Bench Press & Overhead Press with the Smith Machine (the
one that allows you to "lock in" the bar if you are having trouble)
instead of the CP Machine & SP Machine.

QUESTION - Will I get better overall benefit by doing the Bench Press
& Overhead Press on the Smith Machine (than CP Machine & SP Machine)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee Michaels February 21st 05 04:07 AM

"mikem" wrote in message
om...
I've been doing Chest Press Machine and Shoulder Press Machine in my
routine. I KNOW it's better to do Free-Weight Bench Press & Overhead
Press instead of these.

My question, however, is this:

Today I did a Bench Press & Overhead Press with the Smith Machine (the
one that allows you to "lock in" the bar if you are having trouble)
instead of the CP Machine & SP Machine.

QUESTION - Will I get better overall benefit by doing the Bench Press
& Overhead Press on the Smith Machine (than CP Machine & SP Machine)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smith machine is the worst possible thing you could do.

Particularly anything that involves the shoulder joint.

spodosaurus February 21st 05 06:26 AM

Lee Michaels wrote:
"mikem" wrote in message
om...

I've been doing Chest Press Machine and Shoulder Press Machine in my
routine. I KNOW it's better to do Free-Weight Bench Press & Overhead
Press instead of these.

My question, however, is this:

Today I did a Bench Press & Overhead Press with the Smith Machine (the
one that allows you to "lock in" the bar if you are having trouble)
instead of the CP Machine & SP Machine.

QUESTION - Will I get better overall benefit by doing the Bench Press
& Overhead Press on the Smith Machine (than CP Machine & SP Machine)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smith machine is the worst possible thing you could do.

Particularly anything that involves the shoulder joint.

Agreed, the shoulder and chest machines are probably better than the
smith machine if they were made in the last couple of decades. Also,
I've seen too many smith machines that have had the adjustable safety
stops removed and as a result go all the way down if you mess up. A
power rack is so so so much better.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

mikem February 21st 05 10:11 PM

What is the problem with Smith Machines? The one at my club seems
fairly new and the safety stops are intact.

I've never heard either way about the benefits of Smith Machines. The
attraction for me is that I could do Bench Press & Overhead Press-type
exercizes safely by myself.

Lee Michaels February 21st 05 11:35 PM

"mikem" wrote in message
om...
What is the problem with Smith Machines? The one at my club seems
fairly new and the safety stops are intact.

I've never heard either way about the benefits of Smith Machines. The
attraction for me is that I could do Bench Press & Overhead Press-type
exercizes safely by myself.

Your chances of getting answered are considerably lessened if you top post.

Google this. It has been discussed to death.

The steel governed bar path has considerable opportunity to damage soft
tissue.

frank-in-toronto February 22nd 05 01:41 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:35:20 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mikem" wrote in message
. com...
What is the problem with Smith Machines? The one at my club seems
fairly new and the safety stops are intact.

I've never heard either way about the benefits of Smith Machines. The
attraction for me is that I could do Bench Press & Overhead Press-type
exercizes safely by myself.

Your chances of getting answered are considerably lessened if you top post.

Google this. It has been discussed to death.

The steel governed bar path has considerable opportunity to damage soft
tissue.

one thing i do know is that the vertical smith has a lousy path
for a bench press. if you start with the bar above your nipples,
you'll see you're doing most of the lift with your anterior delts.
the smith that is on an angle is a little better.

if you have no access to a rack, then i would say use
the smith but work in dumbbell exercises also. just so you
don't lose all the stability benefits. and don't think that
the press you can do on the smith has anything to do with
a press with a free bar.
....thehick