FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Does One Need To "Burn" Fat (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29650)

Tha Woyah April 17th 05 12:04 PM

Does One Need To "Burn" Fat

.... by doing at least some cardio or can it be done with calorie reduction
alone? Maybe a better question to ask is what is the absolute best way to
burn fat while maintaining as much hard... and I mean HARD... earned muscle
as possible? I know, I know, this must be the very first time this has been
discussed here.

analogbass April 17th 05 05:07 PM

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one of
the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see the
same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to the
heart and body through exercise.

John Hanson April 17th 05 06:45 PM

On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "analogbass" wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one of
the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see the
same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to the
heart and body through exercise.

What if you did anaerobic weight training while reducing your caloric
intake. Would you not have muscle firmness then?

Jay April 17th 05 10:35 PM

"John Hanson" wrote in message
On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "analogbass" wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one of
the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see the
same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to the
heart and body through exercise.

What if you did anaerobic weight training while reducing your caloric
intake. Would you not have muscle firmness then?

from what I have read, the closer you are to being in shape, the method you
have described is ideal. High intensity, that is a high percentage of 1 rm,
and caloric restriction. The bulk of the calories taken in shortly after a
training session.

Hugh Beyer April 18th 05 02:29 AM

"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com wrote
in :

... by doing at least some cardio or can it be done with calorie
reduction alone? Maybe a better question to ask is what is the absolute
best way to burn fat while maintaining as much hard... and I mean
HARD... earned muscle as possible? I know, I know, this must be the very
first time this has been discussed here.

You need to do cardio to mobilize that stubborn fat.

Hugh

--
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

tirrell payton April 18th 05 03:58 AM

Yes, how does one mobilize fat. I was under the impression that whether you
ran 3 miles in 15 minutes, or you took a leisurely 3 mile stroll in an hour,
it still burns around the same number of calories.
6...

John Smith April 18th 05 06:26 AM

"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com wrote in
message ...

"Hugh Beyer" wrote in message
6...
"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com wrote
in :

... by doing at least some cardio or can it be done with calorie
reduction alone? Maybe a better question to ask is what is the absolute
best way to burn fat while maintaining as much hard... and I mean
HARD... earned muscle as possible? I know, I know, this must be the very
first time this has been discussed here.

You need to do cardio to mobilize that stubborn fat.

Mobilize it?

No idea what mobilizing fat means (unless it refers to taking your
fat for a jog). But calorie reduction alone will get rid of fat, but it
will also reduce your muscle (which you can slow but not stop
by lifting while you diet). For most people (ie not into a specific
sport or body building), the best approach is a combination of
all three...lifting, cardio and intelligent dieting. If you absolutely
don't want to lose muscle while you lose fat, you're going to have
to go for a slow reduction, where your calorie deficit is just
under maintenance, so your body doesn't canabalize your
muscles.

-JS2

Larry Hodges April 18th 05 07:59 AM

John Hanson wrote:
On 17 Apr 2005 08:07:30 -0700, "analogbass" wrote
in misc.fitness.weights:

Any form of cardio that appeals to you enough to get you to stay with
it 6 days a week, 20 minutes continuously at a minumum-running's one
of the best, elliptical, stairmachine, etc.

You could lose by calorie reduction exclusively, but you won't see
the same firmness in the muscles, nor the health benefits accrued to
the heart and body through exercise.

What if you did anaerobic weight training while reducing your caloric
intake. Would you not have muscle firmness then?

Dude, you're going to question the Warm-Up Kid? He speaks with such
authority and certainty, it simply must be true.

Don't expect a response.
--
-Larry

Hugh Beyer April 18th 05 04:16 PM

"John Smith" wrote in
:

"Tha Woyah" [email protected] .com
wrote in message ...

6...
wrote in :

[...]

Mobilize? Metabolize? Whatever.

Turns out that there actually is a difference between restricting calories
and adding cardio--Bryan Haycock and Lyle McDonald have both written about
it. Cardio while dieting seems to trigger a hormone response that helps
fat cells give up their fat, and it also increases circulation to cells
that have poor circulation.

Hugh

--
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.