FitnessBanter.com

-   Weights (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Training week ending 10/9/2011 (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=67695)

Steve Freides[_2_] October 10th 11 08:28 PM

Training week ending 10/9/2011

How'd everyone do this week just past? My apologies for being a little
late getting this thread started.

Thanks.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Jason Earl[_2_] October 10th 11 10:43 PM

Training week ending 10/9/2011

* DONE Pull up 2011-10-03 Mon
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Pull up | 218 | 3 | 654 |
| 2 | Chin up | 218 | 3 | 654 |
| 3 | Pull up | 218 | 2 | 436 |
| 4 | Chin up | 218 | 2 | 436 |
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 2180 |
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
** Notes
I am going to take a rest from pressing for a bit. Jim recommended
Turkish getups. I might try that tomorrow.

* DONE Clogging 5K 2011-10-08 Sat
** Plan
I am running a 5K with the family in support of our girls' dance
studio. I probably won't actually be running though because I am
in charge of both Eliza and Abigail, and I don't think either of
those two could run 500 meters, much less a full 5K. I have
challenged KaeLynn to a race. I told her that I could finish with
Eliza and Abigail before she could finish with Stella.

If she takes the stroller she should kill us. My plan is to trick
her into walking with us until the very end and then picking up the
girls and running. I think that even carrying a 3 year old and a 6
year old I can out sprint KaeLynn pushing a stroller.
** Actual
** Notes
I carried Abigail for nearly the entire race, she maybe walked
200M. Most of the time that I was not carrying Abigail I was
carrying Eliza. At one point I carried both Abigail and Eliza. It
took us 46 minutes to finish--mostly because I was waiting for
Eliza.

On the bright side Eliza finished just ahead of KaeLynn so our team
won (I think that KaeLynn was just being kind, but I will take
whatever victory I can get). More importantly the entire family
finished a 5K together, and it was tons of fun. Heck, Zac even
finished in 25 minutes and came in 14th overall (out of 99). He
did not even train for the run. Heck, he did not even have actual
running shoes.

Existential Angst[_2_] October 10th 11 10:49 PM

Training week ending 10/9/2011

"Jason Earl" wrote in message
* DONE Pull up 2011-10-03 Mon
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
| Set | Exercise | Wgt | Rep | Total |
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
| 1 | Pull up | 218 | 3 | 654 |
| 2 | Chin up | 218 | 3 | 654 |
| 3 | Pull up | 218 | 2 | 436 |
| 4 | Chin up | 218 | 2 | 436 |
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
| | Total | | | 2180 |
|-----+----------+-----+-----+-------|
[...]

I gather you don't like Pop Quizes....
Or, yer weak on yer Conic Sections... LOL
--
EA

Jason Earl[_2_] October 10th 11 10:54 PM

On Mon, Oct 10 2011, Existential Angst wrote:

I gather you don't like Pop Quizes....
Or, yer weak on yer Conic Sections... LOL

I have no idea what you are talking about. I probably missed the post
you are referring to.

Jason

Existential Angst[_2_] October 10th 11 11:18 PM

"Jason Earl" wrote in message

On Mon, Oct 10 2011, Existential Angst wrote:

I gather you don't like Pop Quizes....
Or, yer weak on yer Conic Sections... LOL

I have no idea what you are talking about. I probably missed the post
you are referring to.

TWO emails!
--
EA

Jason

Jason Earl[_2_] October 10th 11 11:27 PM

"Jason Earl" wrote in message

On Mon, Oct 10 2011, Existential Angst wrote:

I gather you don't like Pop Quizes....
Or, yer weak on yer Conic Sections... LOL

I have no idea what you are talking about. I probably missed the post
you are referring to.

TWO emails!

I have found them, and I am reading them now. Sorry about that.

Jason

Jim Janney[_2_] October 11th 11 05:08 AM

"Steve Freides" writes:

How'd everyone do this week just past? My apologies for being a little
late getting this thread started.

Thanks.

I like to talk about how great it is to take a week off from time to
time, but I hardly ever do it. So that's what I did this week. I
didn't like it all that much :-)

--
Jim Janney

Existential Angst[_2_] October 11th 11 05:40 AM

"Jim Janney" wrote in message
"Steve Freides" writes:

How'd everyone do this week just past? My apologies for being a little
late getting this thread started.

Thanks.

I like to talk about how great it is to take a week off from time to
time, but I hardly ever do it. So that's what I did this week. I
didn't like it all that much :-)

Sometimes you just need to do it.
Sometimes I don't take vites for a week or more.... it's not like ahm
gagging on them, but the "priorities of the body" just sometimes seem to
shift, and mebbe for good reason.

With your hip problems etc I'm sure you'll see some benefit to the rest.
Just start of slow when you resume.
--
EA

--
Jim Janney

Steve Freides[_2_] October 11th 11 04:09 PM

Jim Janney wrote:
"Steve Freides" writes:

How'd everyone do this week just past? My apologies for being a
little late getting this thread started.

Thanks.

I like to talk about how great it is to take a week off from time to
time, but I hardly ever do it. So that's what I did this week. I
didn't like it all that much :-)

I do it regularly. One of the wonders of strength training is that,
unlike endurance, you don't lose it if you back off. Indeed, once you
acquire the skill of strength, it tends to stay with you for the rest of
your life - __if__ you truly acquire the skill, and don't just train for
a mindless muscle pump with poor form and too-high reps, which is what
far too many people do these days.

My return to lifting yesterday, after quite a bit of down time, was to
take a pair of 20 kg bells and do one set of see-saw presses for 20
total reps (10 each side) and follow that with windmills using a single
20 kg bell, 4 reps each side with a focus on perfect form (one-legged GM
for the hips/hamstrings, no elbow bend and a solid grip in the up hand,
etc.). I felt thoroughly worked out and stretched; I hope to do more
lifting today.

-S-

Steve Freides[_2_] October 11th 11 04:14 PM

Training week ending 10/9/2011

Back after being on the road, tired to start and a big weekend coming at
the end, so a maintenance kind of week.

Mon: getups, 1 each side w/ 16 kg, repeat w/ 24 kg. 20/20 kg see-saw
press, 16 total (8 per side)

Tue: walk 2 mi, 24: getup x 1 each side, 16 kg: windmill x 2 each side,
then superset PU/CU and press:

PU: bw + 20 kg on foot - left foot x 2, right foot x 2
24: mil press, 4 each side

CU: bw + 28 kg on foot - left foot x 2, right foot x 2
24: mil press, 5 each side

Wed: walk 2 mi.

Thu: 24: mil press, 5 each side, 30-sec hold overhead at end of each
set, then DL: 225 lb. x 4

Fri: walk 3 mi, 16: getup 2 alternating singles each side, 24: windmill,
3 each side, DL: 225 lb x 5, WHEEL: standing, 4th step, 2

Sat: no lifting

Sun: no lifting, walk 2 mi

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com