FitnessBanter.com

-   Swimming (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   long torso, short legs (http://www.fitnessbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20052)

GoodSwimFan August 13th 04 09:08 PM

long torso, short legs

I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Mark P August 14th 04 06:34 PM

GoodSwimFan wrote:
I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

diablo August 14th 04 07:25 PM

"Mark P" wrote in message
GoodSwimFan wrote:
I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

i suppose if you subscribe to the "longer draft" theory, you could argue
that long trunk and long legs are the best combination..

Mark P August 15th 04 12:41 AM

Brian D wrote:
On 14 Aug,
Mark P wrote:

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

So why are my short fat hairy legs so appalling.

The hair, I'd wager :)

Filipok August 15th 04 03:29 PM

"Mark P" wrote in message
Brian D wrote:
On 14 Aug, Mark P wrote:

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down in
a kicking motion.

So why are my short fat hairy legs so appalling.

The hair, I'd wager :)

Depends. If the hair is *really* thick, the water would just bead off like a
that of a duck's feathers. Could be an advantage? :)

--Phillip

rtk August 15th 04 07:37 PM

My uninformed hunch is that it's not the short legs, but rather the
long arms providing greater leverage that is advantageous.

Ruth Kazez

Madelaine August 16th 04 06:34 PM

Mark P wrote:

GoodSwimFan wrote:

I read articles about Michael Phelps that say he has the ideal
swimmer's body, in particular, a long body with short legs. I'm
curious why a long body with short legs is supposed to be good.

My guess would be the opposite: that to excel in fly, you need longer
legs and a shorter body -- less torso to lift (or to dive down) from
the kick. I wonder if proportions have anything to do with whether
one is naturally a better long axis stroke or short axis stroke
swimmer.

My strokes in best-to-worst order: Free, back, breast, fly
My measurements: Height: 65" Torso: crotch to throat (between ends of
clavicles): 25" Legs: inseam: 30"

Comments? Anyone else care to share their measurements and stroke
preferences?

Long legs a) sink and b) are proportionally harder to beat up and down
in a kicking motion.

I would think that at least in short races, the ability of long-legged
people to spring off the blocks and (seemingingly) half way across the
pool would make up for this. I'm 62.75" with a 29" inseam, haven't
measured my torso lately, but will.
My order of preference: back, breast, crawl, can't really do fly with
any forward momentum.
Madelaine

Madelaine August 19th 04 04:37 PM

I'm obsessed with this concept. If it is really true, the best swimmers
should look like underweight organutans, and I don't think they do.

I'm wondering if the key ratio is arm length to total height or if it is
arm length to torso length, or arm length to leg length.

I have long arms for my height judging by eye, but lost all my very few
AAU practice races due to bad starts, save one backstroke race.

I hope this will garner more discussion after the Olympics.
Madelaine

Elvira18 August 22nd 14 12:13 AM

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.