Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Terry Pinnell
Forum: Walking in the UK June 6th 10, 05:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Compass direction reversal

Neil Pugh wrote:

On 15/05/2010 7:07 PM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
Anyone know how rare it is for a compass needle's magnetic poles to become
reversed please, as has somehow...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 16th 10, 03:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Compass direction reversal

Alan Dicey wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:

Roos Eisma wrote:

You can...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 16th 10, 08:10 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Compass direction reversal

Peter Clinch wrote:

Roos Eisma wrote:

You can re-reverse it with a magnet. I found some instructions online
somewhere, but basically you woosh a strong magnet...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 15th 10, 08:07 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Compass direction reversal

Anyone know how rare it is for a compass needle's magnetic poles to become
reversed please, as has somehow happened to mine?

It's a decent quality unit. No manufacturer's name, but says 'Type 3'...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 4th 10, 08:05 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 5
Posted By Terry Pinnell
gradient profiles

"Roger & Kath" wrote:

I know there is a distance reckoner in Google Earth - the Paths routine.

Anyone know of a similar thing for measuring the profile of a route ie...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 3rd 10, 11:43 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Database of British Hills film hits the screen...

The Nomad wrote:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:07:59 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

Simon Edwardes wrote:

On 2 Feb, 13:43, mr p...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 3rd 10, 10:07 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Database of British Hills film hits the screen...

Simon Edwardes wrote:

On 2 Feb, 13:43, mr p wrote:
On 28 Jan, 20:58, Martin Richardson wrote:

...on YouTube for...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 16th 09, 06:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Historic maps from Anquet - if you're interested.

"Rodders" wrote:

"Jhimmy" wrote in message
Just recieved Anquet's newsletter and they've...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 15th 09, 10:04 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Terry Pinnell
wide fitting approach shoes

Ted wrote:

It was an education getting my feet measured for the boots, I now know
one foot is one size smaller than the other one!

Ted

Mine too. As a matter of...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 15th 09, 09:47 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 32
Posted By Terry Pinnell
OS map 5m contours

Dominic Sexton wrote:

I think it is just where the sheet is generally not very hilly. In
relatively flat areas 10m contours would mean almost no contours!

Which got...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 24th 09, 06:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 11
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Memory Map Categories

"Paul Saunders" wrote:

Does anyone know how to change waypoints, tracks etc. to a different
category in bulk?

When working with hundreds or even thousands of...
Forum: Walking in the UK December 15th 08, 10:28 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 40
Posted By Terry Pinnell
GPS with OS map Dispaly? (using Memory maps)

"Eurofeeds" wrote:

Many thanks for all the advice - it's beginning to make sense now - have
ordered an 8Gb sandisk card.

Is it a 'standard' type (not one of...
Forum: Walking in the UK December 8th 08, 12:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 40
Posted By Terry Pinnell
GPS with OS map Dispaly? (using Memory maps)

"Eurofeeds" wrote:

So would any PDA running Windows mobile and having GPS capability be able to
utilise my Memory maps?

In theory, yes, although it would be...
Forum: Walking in the UK December 7th 08, 08:12 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 40
Posted By Terry Pinnell
GPS with OS map Dispaly? (using Memory maps)

"Eurofeeds" wrote:

It's that time of year to let santa know what I want. Ideally a GPS that
shows real OS maps and uses the Memory Maps and French IGN Maps I...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 1st 08, 02:37 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 19
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Hey! What's That?

"Paul Saunders" wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Brilliant site Paul, thanks!

I thought you'd like it!

I'll take a closer look as soon as I get time and see...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 1st 08, 05:29 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 19
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Hey! What's That?

Terry Pinnell wrote:

"Paul Saunders" wrote:

One more thing, there's a link to view these in Google Earth, you can show
the...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 1st 08, 05:04 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 19
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Hey! What's That?

"Paul Saunders" wrote:

One more thing, there's a link to view these in Google Earth, you can show
the visible horizon and the visibility cloak (you can switch them on...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 14th 08, 06:08 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Terry Pinnell
planning future walk.

"Paul" wrote:

hi everyone.

Seriously looking at possibilities for walking from the midlands (DERBY) to
the south coast, ideally Southampton or portsmouth...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 9th 08, 03:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Terry Pinnell
South Downs National Park - western Weald

PeterC wrote:

There's a petition to include the WW in the SDNP on the gov's site.

Last day for signing it is today (first I've heard of...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 7th 08, 11:18 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 5
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Maps

"T Dave R" wrote:

"Boo" wrote in message

Dave

The answers is a "fish" - sorry what...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 30th 08, 08:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 16
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Online maps!

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

I thought "Ah! I can check how big a river is and whether the
bridges marked on the OS map still exist." How wrong I was :-(

The resolution...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 27th 08, 01:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 25
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Sat Nav

Terry Pinnell wrote:

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

I am looking for a Sat Nav. They will all set up route that end in a
Postcode or...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 27th 08, 12:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 25
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Sat Nav

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote:

I am looking for a Sat Nav. They will all set up route that end in a
Postcode or address. However, with an interest in birds and walking many...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 23rd 08, 01:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 15
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Panorama in lieu of a TR

Phil Cook wrote:

I've been doing some work avoidance...

Have a look from Sgorr Ruadh here
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk/pans/sgorr-ruadh.htm

Between Beinn...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 9th 08, 07:58 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 23
Posted By Terry Pinnell
Flight Sim X WalkAndFollow

Bernard Hill wrote: