Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.59 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Phil Cook[_2_]
Forum: Walking in the UK March 5th 17, 07:54 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Bye
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Bye

Looks round one last time thinking happy thoughts of friends well met
and hills walked together.

Turns off light and thinks, "coo innit dark in here."
--
Phil Cook
Forum: Walking in the UK March 2nd 16, 06:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking

On 28/02/2016 15:12, Gordon H wrote:
On 28/02/2016 13:33, Rooney wrote:
Anyone want one? I haven't used it for years - no need, with
smartphones these days. But it may be useful for someone...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 5th 15, 03:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
St Kilda - tick

On 05/11/2015 12:29, Martin Richardson wrote:

The blog has been a bit neglected.

Still waiting to hear about your M***o completion, Phil?

I think I will miss my target date since I still have...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 21st 15, 02:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 17
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Using GPS instead of maps

On 20/10/2015 18:39, Nick Maclaren wrote:
On 10/20/15 14:45, Phil Cook wrote:

I use the contours from the MCoS as my upland map in my GPS and I think
they go down to 10m interval as you...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 20th 15, 02:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 17
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Using GPS instead of maps

On 19/10/2015 17:49, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Does anyone have experience of wide-area touring and navigation using a
GPS device? I have an Etrex 20 and an OpenStreetMap mapping
(talkytoaster), as...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 17th 15, 07:05 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 23
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Rough formula for walk 'difficulty'

On 17/10/2015 17:36, wrote:
Presumably the Naismith rule and all the variations we've been
discussing exclude all stops, walking time only? So photos, loo
breaks,...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 27th 15, 01:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Memory Map qct files in iPad?

On 27/07/2015 11:49, Trevor wrote:
Does anyone know if its possible to load existing memory map qct files
into an ipad and what software is there to view them?

I'm not a user of either iOS or...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 03:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Food for camping :-(

On 26/05/2015 15:16, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

I have one of those titanium mug things and an...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 01:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Food for camping :-(

On 26/05/2015 10:00, Richard Smith wrote:
On 26/05/15 09:14, Nick Maclaren wrote:

There is a lot of difference between multiple people and a single
person; for example, I carry a single pan...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 13th 15, 04:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 10
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Walking apps

On 13/02/2015 11:45, Gordon H wrote:
On 12/02/2015 14:14, nemo wrote:
On 11/02/2015 21:01, Martyn Tindall wrote:
Are there any walking apps for Android phones that folks here have
found...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 4th 14, 05:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 15
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
cleaning trekky poles

On 04/11/2014 11:32, John B wrote:

On 04/11/2014 09:27, John B wrote:

On 02/11/2014 09:22, John B wrote:
Over the years, I've tried different ways to clean trekky poles so...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 16th 14, 03:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Wall Smashed.

At last Rob Woodall and Eddie Dealtry make it 1556/1556 and break
through the wall at the end of the hall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-29627193
--
Phil Cook
Forum: Walking in the UK October 4th 14, 08:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking

On 04/10/2014 16:30, Graham Seed wrote:

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
On 30/09/2014 21:37, Graham Seed wrote:

Forum: Walking in the UK October 1st 14, 02:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 11
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
youtube: path works (stone flagging) on Pen-y-ghent

On 30/09/2014 21:37, Graham Seed wrote:

"Allan" wrote in message
It's got some great aerial views of PYG and also some good...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 3rd 14, 12:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Panoramas

I have just updated my display technology for these. I'm now using
flash rather than a java applet.

www.therewaslight.co.uk

I'm hoping to get back on the hills again soon, having had a borked...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 11th 14, 10:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 9
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Tents :-(

On 11/07/2014 20:05, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

The trouble is that most of them don't give sizes...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 11th 14, 06:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 9
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Tents :-(

On 08/07/2014 15:43, Nick Maclaren wrote:

The trouble is that most of them don't give sizes :-( So far, I have
found several 3-person tents that would do, but there may not be the
space to...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 8th 14, 01:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 9
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Tents :-(

On 06/07/2014 13:34, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am looking for a (relatively) cheap and waterproof tent for my
wife to camp out a Wimbledon. It should preferably pitch as one
or, failing that,...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 24th 14, 01:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 8
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
low priced boots recommended in Independent article

On 24/04/2014 12:41, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:
On 24/04/2014 07:44, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 24th 14, 12:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 8
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
low priced boots recommended in Independent article

On 24/04/2014 07:44, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:24:16 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:

The HiTecs were 'sticky' even on greenish concrete but wore out in under 3
months of local use.
Forum: Walking in the UK April 4th 14, 11:51 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Cotswold Outdoor opening in Skipton today (3 April)

On 03/04/2014 10:55, Allan wrote:

Means there'll be something worth going into Skipton for (apparently,
according to the Torygraph, the "best place to live in the country" -
not, IMHO),...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 25th 14, 09:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 7
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Spiked Walking Poles

On 24/02/2014 18:53, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Monday 24 Feb 2014 18:23 in message
,
Alan Dicey wrote:

If I read the attributions correctly,...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 26th 13, 06:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Wainwrights Guides (Books): Boxed sets

On 26/11/2013 14:02, Allan wrote:
I want to give the boxed set to someone for Christmas who's just
embarked on the Wainwrights. I'm just a little confused as to how many
boxed sets there are. ...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 13th 13, 07:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Tiso sells to JD Sport

On 12/11/2013 17:49, Neil Cuthbert wrote:
Pretty significant announcement today:

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/news.asp?s=2&id=MCS-N11302&nc=Hill

Well respected brand sells out to big business....
Forum: Walking in the UK November 6th 13, 10:05 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 5
Posted By Phil Cook[_2_]
Identifying these Welsh hills?

On 06/11/2013 17:37, Terry Pinnell wrote:
"R.G. Bargy" wrote:

On 05/11/2013 12:45, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I stitched together a panorama from some photos during...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100