Showing results 1 to 25 of 71
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Forum: Walking in the UK September 11th 15, 07:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
On my last legs or what?

In article ,
Roger Chapman wrote:

The GPS said 7.49 miles and 2133 feet of ascent and a time of 6 hours 15
minutes. ...

So will...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 30th 15, 02:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Biting insects

In article ,
Richard Smith wrote:

In the Highlands, something bites my shins, less so my thighs and rarely
higher up, through thick...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 29th 15, 01:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Weird peat

Normally, I am quite happy to camp on soggy ground in the Highlands,
and find that the peat exudes water but is otherwise clean. However,
for the first time, I encountered some that squidged into...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 29th 15, 01:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Biting insects

In the Highlands, something bites my shins, less so my thighs and rarely
higher up, through thick socks. It is NOT ticks or midges, but I have
never found out what it is. Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 3rd 15, 10:42 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
20 years ?

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
Chris Gilbert wrote:

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 1st 15, 12:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 5
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
FABSIL Footwear Proofer

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

Exterior house paint tends to be water-based, for example, and it's not
like it dissolves every time...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 04:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

I have one of those titanium mug things and an insulated mug for when
I backpack. Main...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 04:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

I have one of those titanium mug things and an insulated mug for when
I backpack. Main meal...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 11:11 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Richard Smith wrote:

There is a lot of difference between multiple people and a single
person; for example, I carry a...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 10:14 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

And cous cous are definitely a bit dull for
eating every day.

On its own, agreed,...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 25th 15, 09:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

Personally I tend to use the "Travellunch" brand of instant meals. ...

Ye gods! "Travellunch" "Bella...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 25th 15, 01:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Richard Smith wrote:

Personally I tend to use the "Travellunch" brand of instant meals. ...

Ye gods! "Travellunch"...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 25th 15, 12:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

And cous cous are definitely a bit dull for
eating every day.

On its own, agreed, but with...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 23rd 15, 03:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Food for camping :-(

For the past few years, I have used Ainsley Harriott lentils and
(quickish) rice, because they make a fairly good meal of close to
1,000 calories. But they are virtually impossible to get this...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 15th 15, 10:11 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
20 years ?

In article ,
Chris Gilbert wrote:

Roll call.... ?

And, of course, Angus! How could we have forgotten our...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 12th 15, 09:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
20 years ?

In article ,
Chris Gilbert wrote:

Are you finally going to get to live near some hills, Nick ?

My wife wants to stay...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 12th 15, 12:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
20 years ?

In article ,
Bob Douglas wrote:

Roll call.... ?

I am still working, but shall be retiring this September, and hope
to do...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 4th 15, 12:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Insignificant undulations

In article ,
Richard Smith wrote:

Thanks, but I really do mean that I need those slopes. The point is
that the walking time for...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 3rd 15, 06:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Insignificant undulations

In article ,
Richard Smith wrote:

So, what would be the easiest hill for me to get to from Cambridge,
of at least 50 metres...
Forum: Walking in the UK March 14th 15, 11:21 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Insignificant undulations

In article ,
wrote:

I tried testing my hill-climbing capacity today (which I want to
know for configuring a recumbent...
Forum: Walking in the UK March 4th 15, 09:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Insignificant undulations

I tried testing my hill-climbing capacity today (which I want to
know for configuring a recumbent tricycle!) up the nearest 'hill'
(50 metres averaging 1:10). Unfortunately, it's not steep
enough...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 6th 14, 07:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Newsgroup providers

In article ,
soup wrote:

Sigh. Despite Wikipedia, Usenet did not arise like Athena, but was
based on existing mailing lists. ...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 6th 14, 02:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Newsgroup providers

In article ,
soup wrote:
On 06/11/2014 08:54, Nick Maclaren wrote:

soup wrote:
Thirty three years ago.
Not just then.

It was...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 6th 14, 01:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 15
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
cleaning trekky poles

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

And, if I start to lose balance on a hillside or crossing a burn,
I am likely to ram a pole down...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 6th 14, 01:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening
Replies: 21
Posted By Nick Maclaren[_3_]
Newsgroup providers

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

In case anyone knows an answer, do any of them provide archives
and a reasonable search...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 71