Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.51 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Steve Freides[_2_]
Forum: Running December 14th 15, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Avoid the Burn

This article isn't about running per se, but it mentions running several
times, and includes some thought-provoking, IMHO, ideas about
alternatives to improving conditioning.

A few quotes from the...
Forum: Running June 19th 15, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
chronic hip pain, current exercises, temporary solution... advice needed

Ab wrote:

I am overweight ....

The most effective way to lose excees body fat is controversial subject.
I believe it's strength training - every study I've read that compares
the two in...
Forum: Weights December 22nd 14, 02:22 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
The Mighty Atom

David Solimano wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 08:40:49 -0500, "Steve Freides"
wrote:

A great project if you're looking to contribute to the good cause of
documenting a real,...
Forum: Weights September 23rd 14, 04:12 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 1
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Which way to do bridge is better, and why?

wrote:
I found 2 ways to do the bridge online:

Look further - there are more.

(1)
http://runnersfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Back_Bridge_2.jpg

That is a hip...
Forum: Weights January 16th 14, 05:26 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Van Dam Lift - AWA WR

I haven't posted here in a while so I figured I'd post this one.

http://www.kbnj.com/Steve_Freides_Van_Dam_Lift_81_lbs_n.mp4

If you don't want to watch the video, it's picking up a dumbbell from...
Forum: Running October 1st 13, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 1
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Mt. Marathon 2013 highlights - 32 yr record broken

Dot wrote:
Bill Spencer's 43:21 record stood for 32 yr then two runners ran
better than it, with local Eric Strabel winning in 42:55. (his older
brother used to post here) 2nd place was Rickey...
Forum: Running June 21st 13, 01:28 PM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
"Not All Heel Strikers Overstride"

Is heel striking is OK or not? This article says that the important
thing is where your foot lands in relation to your center of gravity,
not whether your heel touches...
Forum: Running June 21st 13, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Single Leg Deadlift for Runners

Ed Prochak wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:07:11 AM UTC-4, Steve Freides wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151643396687298

The above is posted on Facebook by Dr. Mark Cheng. ...
Forum: Running June 9th 13, 02:07 PM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Single Leg Deadlift for Runners

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151643396687298

The above is posted on Facebook by Dr. Mark Cheng. Mark talks to
runners about why and how to perform this exercise.

This is a great...
Forum: Running June 6th 13, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Study: Few Differences Between Heel, Non-Heel Strikers

Beach Runner wrote:
On May 27, 4:48 pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
Ed Prochak wrote:
One comment on the web site was that the placement of the foot
relative to the hip might...
Forum: Running May 28th 13, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.running
Replies: 1
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Advice for sprinting?

Me wrote:

My daughter currently runs 100m in 23 sec. I looked up track meet
results for her age group and see the average is about 17 sec. Is
there any hope on improving her time? Can...
Forum: Running May 28th 13, 12:48 AM Posted to rec.running

Ed Prochak wrote:

One comment on the web site was that the placement of the foot
relative to the hip might be a more important factor.

Bingo - that's the important thing, whether your foot...
Forum: Weights March 20th 13, 05:12 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
I have a new hip

Jim Janney wrote:
I stopped posting here early in 2012 following an acute attack of
nausea and abdominal pain, the second in less than a year. It passed
after about six hours but left me...
Forum: Weights March 16th 13, 12:46 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.running
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Sweat is a bad sign?

thirty-six wrote:

No, they'll eventually rust but it does depend on what they're made
of - most are cast iron with a coat of paint on them, but I've seen
stainless steel, the latter costing...
Forum: Weights March 15th 13, 11:59 AM Posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.running
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Sweat is a bad sign?

thirty-six wrote:
On 14 Mar, 11:27, "Steve Freides" wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
How does one determine the weight required? I should be around 5'11"
only for disease...
Forum: Weights March 14th 13, 11:27 AM Posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.running
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Sweat is a bad sign?

thirty-six wrote:

How does one determine the weight required? I should be around 5'11"
only for disease causing spinal compression, curvature and
scolliosis. I should have a natural lean...
Forum: Weights March 13th 13, 11:38 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.running
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Sweat is a bad sign?

thirty-six wrote:

You know, as it just so happens, I'm going to give running a bit of
a go again this summer, and I started already - I ran around the
block, a pretty long block here,...
Forum: Weights March 12th 13, 07:14 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 0
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Video - Standing Wheel Rollout, Elevated

Top end of board on 4th step, am just getting back to doing these and
this is a great way to start if you're not ready to do them on the
ground yet. And, of course, it's a fine exercise done from...
Forum: Weights March 1st 13, 02:32 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Sweat is a bad sign?

Steven Bornfeld wrote:
On 2/27/2013 11:10 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

Thank you, John.

You know, as it just so happens, I'm going to give running a bit of
a go again this summer, and I...
Forum: Weights February 28th 13, 04:10 AM Posted to misc.fitness.weights,misc.fitness.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.running
Replies: 20
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Sweat is a bad sign?

John Hurley wrote:
Steve:

# I competed at a powerlifting meet 2 days ago - here I am, at age 57
and a rather runner/bikie-like 148 lbs, lifting 345 lbs. off the
floor, with no belt, wrist...
Forum: Weights January 6th 13, 01:05 AM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 1
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Training Week Ending 06 Jan 2013

Week 4 of a 13-week off-competition cycle

Day 1: FSQ 165 x 5, DB BP 45's x 5

Day 2: KB c&p 24 kg x 1-2-3, Incline BP 100 x 8, 8 Frog DL 245 x 5

Day 3: FSQ 170 x 4 and fail 5th rep, BP 160 x 5

Day...
Forum: Weights January 5th 13, 02:06 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 1
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Training Week Ending 06 Jan 2013

How was your first training week of 2013? Please let us know - keeps
you honest, let's others learn from what you do.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com
Forum: Weights December 31st 12, 02:59 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
Strength=low volume?

Ted wrote:
Hi,

If the primary objective is strength gain is it better to keep to low
rep, heavy weight sets of say (after warm up sets) 4 x 3 reps rather
than something like lower weight 3...
Forum: Weights December 29th 12, 04:20 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
High Reps

Big Dick Hertz wrote:
On Dec 14, 9:40 am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
Big Dick Hertz wrote:
This is where the basic 10 rep rule applies. 30 is too light and 5
is too heavy....
Forum: Weights December 14th 12, 02:40 PM Posted to misc.fitness.weights
Replies: 4
Posted By Steve Freides[_2_]
High Reps

Big Dick Hertz wrote:

This is where the basic 10 rep rule applies. 30 is too light and 5 is
too heavy. BTW how many sets are you doing?

There is no 10 rep rule - different reps, different...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100