Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Richard Smith
Forum: Walking in the UK May 23rd 17, 08:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Richard Smith
Fisherfield

If anyone's still around on this newsgroup, perhaps they can offer some
advice?

I'm thinking of doing the Fisherfield Five (or Six) next week and am
planning to take three days over it, wild...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 14th 15, 08:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 23
Posted By Richard Smith
Rough formula for walk 'difficulty'

On 13/10/15 19:44, Terry Pinnell wrote:

The usual formula for calculating time is Naismith's rule.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_rule

Thanks Craig, that will get me started....
Forum: Walking in the UK June 30th 15, 12:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Richard Smith
Biting insects

On 29/06/15 12:20, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In the Highlands, something bites my shins, less so my thighs and rarely
higher up, through thick socks. It is NOT ticks or midges, but I have
never...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 26th 15, 10:00 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Richard Smith
Food for camping :-(

On 26/05/15 09:14, Nick Maclaren wrote:

There is a lot of difference between multiple people and a single
person; for example, I carry a single pan and eat out of it, and
don't carry the...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 25th 15, 07:29 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Richard Smith
Food for camping :-(

On 23/05/15 14:46, Nick Maclaren wrote:
For the past few years, I have used Ainsley Harriott lentils and
(quickish) rice, because they make a fairly good meal of close to
1,000 calories. But...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 25th 15, 09:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 1
Posted By Richard Smith
Changing attitudes

Damn. As you may gather, that post was intended for an entirely
different news group.

On 25/04/15 21:34, Richard Smith wrote:
I'm trying to piece together several branches of the Rogers family...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 25th 15, 09:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 1
Posted By Richard Smith
Changing attitudes

I'm trying to piece together several branches of the Rogers family of
Bradford on Avon, Wilts in the 15th and 16th century. All have the same
basic arms: /argent, a chevron between three stags...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 3rd 15, 11:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Richard Smith
Insignificant undulations

On 03/04/15 17:40, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Thanks, but I really do mean that I need those slopes. The point is
that the walking time for less than 1:5 is dominated by distance,
not height, and I...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 3rd 15, 03:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 6
Posted By Richard Smith
Insignificant undulations

On 04/03/15 20:10, Nick Maclaren wrote:

So, what would be the easiest hill for me to get to from Cambridge,
of at least 50 metres (preferably 100) ascent and either at least
1:5 or cyclable...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 14th 14, 05:09 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Richard Smith
Upper Weardale

Following a last minute change of plan, I've found I have the Easter
weekend free. The weather forecast sounds reasonable, so I thought I'd
head up to Weardale for four days' walking. I don't...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 26th 14, 12:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Richard Smith
Forest east of Rhinog Fawr

I thought I'd mention, in case anyone was planning a trip there, that
most of the forest tracks and footpaths in the northern half of the
forest below Rhinog Fawr are currently impassable because...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 16th 13, 01:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Richard Smith
Walks from Glenridding

On 14/08/13 09:49, zedric wrote:
Hi

I am going to stay in Glenridding next week for three days.

One day I want to climb up to Helvellyn via Striding Edge and I'm
after suggestions for the...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 12th 13, 10:54 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 8
Posted By Richard Smith
Overnight parking in Glen Affric

Does anyone know what, if any, restrictions are placed on overnight
parking in the carparks in Glen Affric? The pay-and-display machines
have been out of action for some time, so unless they've...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 6th 13, 12:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Richard Smith
Anyone Walked N Sweden?

On Apr 29, 3:19*pm, wrote:
I've been given the opportunity to join a 2 week walk in northen Sweden next July. Walking from Abisko National Park, winding generally south...
Forum: Walking in the UK December 21st 11, 09:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Richard Smith
2005/06 snow in Scotland

On 19/12/11 17:37, Chris Gilbert wrote:
Richard Smith wrote
Does anyone recall how late the snow stayed on the tops in the Southern
Highlands following the winter of 2005/06?

I remember...
Forum: Walking in the UK December 19th 11, 04:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Richard Smith
2005/06 snow in Scotland

Does anyone recall how late the snow stayed on the tops in the Southern
Highlands following the winter of 2005/06? I have found some snowy
photos of what looks like Ben Alder from the north, but I...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 13th 11, 10:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Richard Smith
Knoydart camping facilities

On 06/09/11 15:29, Andy Johnson wrote:

I camped for a few days at Inverie in July this year. The foundation
campsite has a single composting toilet, a tap (untreated water, but I
drank it with...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 26th 11, 02:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 5
Posted By Richard Smith
Irresponsibility on Liathach

I've just been reminded of something that happened to me a few years ago
on Liathach that I had all-but-forgotten. I'd be interested to know
what other people would have done in the same...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 6th 11, 10:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Richard Smith
Knoydart camping facilities

I'm organising a camping and walking holiday to Scotland next year for a
group of maybe a dozen people. One of the places I'm considering is
Knoydart. (Torridon and Scourie are two other...
Showing results 1 to 19 of 19