Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Syke[_2_]
Forum: Walking in the UK March 11th 16, 05:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Trail shoes

I have a pair of Trezeta trail shoes (NEWTRAIL) which are now past it
but have given very good service, but like many things today,
replacement is not so simple. Several articles I have read...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 1st 14, 11:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Someone Should Recognise This View

Crummock Water with Mellbreak on the right.

Regards

Syke
Forum: Walking in the UK June 17th 14, 12:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 18
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Goretex versus Paramo

There's only one way to find out... FIIIIIIIGHT!

Regards

Syke

On 17/06/2014 09:46, Peter Clinch wrote:
On 16/06/2014 21:08, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 13th 14, 02:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Syke[_2_]
St Kilda

Sorry! I forgot that part of your question! No, we only saw a few in
the distance. I suppose we weren't near their nest sites. The
walking-pole advice is exactly what the NTS warden told us. He...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 13th 14, 08:02 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Syke[_2_]
St Kilda

We went from Uig, in Skye, at the beginning of May and had about four
hours ashore. We didn't quite follow your proposed route, but several of
the other passengers did, although I'm not sure about...
Forum: Walking in the UK March 14th 13, 10:09 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 9
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Brig o Turk and Loch Venachar

On 08/03/2013 23:36, MP wrote:
Will be visiting Callander in a few weeks time and looking for some help
on a walking route from Brig o Turk and along the south shore of Loch
Venachar to...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 3rd 13, 03:51 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 1
Posted By Syke[_2_]
What’s this place called in Scotland, the “Magnetic …”?

On 28/11/2012 11:23, Ian Clifton wrote:
I believe somewhere in Scotland, there’s a place popularly called the
“Magnetic …” where the missing word is a Scots word meaning (unless my
Forum: Walking in the UK February 5th 11, 05:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 49
Posted By Syke[_2_]
new Garmin - initial thoughts...

John B wrote:

I bought a Garmin Vista HCX last year and would agree generally with
what you say regarding manual/instructions. I did get a Quick-Start
guide and a manual (54 pages), both...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 5th 11, 04:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 49
Posted By Syke[_2_]
new Garmin - initial thoughts...

John B wrote:
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Dakota complete with UK OS mapping.
These are necessarily initial - and therefore perhaps erroneous -
observations, but I thought it's all the...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 8th 09, 07:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 1
Posted By Syke[_2_]
GPS advice wanted

I have used a basic GPS for some time but now want to upgrade. Like so many
things nowadays, I'm finding it a bit confusing; so many choices and
permutations. Basically, I want something like the...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 29th 09, 07:04 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 64
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Dogs - or perhaps their owners (Penyghent)

..

I think that if the sheep are distressed or even excited - it counts.
A dog running after sheep making them run around would count as worrying
them.

How exactly does this differ from...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 28th 09, 07:50 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 64
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Dogs - or perhaps their owners (Penyghent)

Yo$$1960 wrote:
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:05:17 +0100, Syke wrote:

I think you'll find that this common assumption is a little simplistic.I
believe that the right to shoot a dog can only be...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 28th 09, 08:05 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 64
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Dogs - or perhaps their owners (Penyghent)

Broadback wrote:
Yo$$1960 wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 18:42:27 +0100, Allan wrote:

I asked that the dog be kept under control, and had to
repeat myself. The request was met with a...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 24th 09, 10:26 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 51
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Fatal Cow Attack

Martin Richardson wrote:
In message , Tim
Jackson writes
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:44:07 +0100 (BST),...
Forum: Walking in the UK June 15th 09, 02:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 43
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Wainwright guides alert

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wainwright-Anniversary-Boxed-Pictorial-Guides/dp/0711224617/ref=pe_14181_15751831_as_img_9/

Regards

Pat Macguire
Forum: Walking in the UK April 22nd 09, 10:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 8
Posted By Syke[_2_]
TR: North East Isle of Arran 4-day backpack

George wrote:
Fellwalker wrote:
Following up to GeoffC

Most of the Coastal Way is close to a road by necessity, but that
NE section from Lochranza to Sannox is the exception: the...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 29th 09, 09:19 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Trouser replacements

Peter Clinch wrote:
Syke wrote:
A few years ago I purchased a pair of Rohan Warm Essentials. These
are polycotton

polyamide, as it happens...

(I think) outers with a black...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 28th 09, 10:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 13
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Trouser replacements

A few years ago I purchased a pair of Rohan Warm Essentials. These are
polycotton (I think) outers with a black mesh lining. I have found them
warm, light and very comfortable to wear. However, in...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 15th 09, 05:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.walking
Replies: 9
Posted By Syke[_2_]
Compact Binoculars

MP wrote:
I'm looking for some very compact binoculars for lightweight travel
i.e. backpacking hill walking that sort of thing, I realise that
these type of binoculars are unstable for...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 12th 08, 11:42 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 10
Posted By Syke[_2_]
"I don't believe it" No. 378

Headline from BBC Scotland website:

"Island bird attack couple rescued"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7555812.stm

What was this? a massed attack by giant Rocs, on some Arabian...
Showing results 1 to 20 of 20