Showing results 1 to 25 of 80
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Allan[_3_]
Forum: Walking in the UK February 16th 17, 09:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
North Yorkshire County Council: Public rights of way consultation

North Yorkshire County Council: Public rights of way consultation

We are consulting on a proposal to change the way we prioritise
management and maintenance of public rights of way within North...
Forum: Walking in the UK March 28th 16, 10:37 AM Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Boots - sore feet

On 27/03/2016 17:46, R D S wrote:
You're a sage & experienced old bunch hence I thought i'd put this to you;

I bought some new boots (Grisport Fuse) at the back end of last year,
from a long...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 23rd 16, 05:34 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Whinlatter: parking: Revelin Moss

Just been up to Whinlatter (had a soggy, misty introduction to the NW
Fells bagging Grizedale Pike and Hopegill Head). I was going to park at
Hobcarton but the parking and access routes seem to be...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 13th 15, 09:44 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 23
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Rough formula for walk 'difficulty'

On 12/10/2015 20:53, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm planning next summer's walk with my wife of the SW Coastal path,
from Westward Ho! to Trevenoe. I'm in the course of making estimates
of mileage...
Forum: Walking in the UK August 4th 15, 09:38 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Toilets at Seathwaite

On 03/08/2015 23:02, Gwyn Dewey wrote:
Attempting Scafell pike by grains gill and down from corridor

Not been by in a few years

Wanted to know from someone whos been by recently whether the...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 30th 15, 12:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Replies: 13
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Walking about with Hard Wearing Soles

On 29/07/2015 16:05, john west wrote:
Have been looking for some solid *long lasting *walking shoes, and have
seen these:

Brasher Country Traveller GTX Men's Walking shoe

A picture of...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 6th 14, 10:40 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 11
Posted By Allan[_3_]
youtube: path works (stone flagging) on Pen-y-ghent

On 05/10/2014 21:34, Graham Seed wrote:

[snip]

There are vehicle tracks all over the place, but on reflection perhaps
they just came up the PW from Horton, it's not that steep.

Forum: Walking in the UK September 25th 14, 03:37 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 11
Posted By Allan[_3_]
youtube: path works (stone flagging) on Pen-y-ghent

It's got some great aerial views of PYG and also some good time-lapse of
the work: required watching!

http://youtu.be/k9GB1F0FnF0

Work done by Friends of the Three...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 26th 14, 05:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Close Everest. Close all the damn mountains (The Times)

Close Everest. Close all the damn mountains
The Times, Sat 26 April 2014

On one hand, you have 16 Sherpas killed; on the other, a bunch of macho
idiots whose holidays have been ruined. The Sherpas...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 3rd 14, 10:55 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Cotswold Outdoor opening in Skipton today (3 April)

Well, I suppose that'll make Ultimate Outdoors not very happy, but
there's probably been a gap since David Goldie shut.

Means there'll be something worth going into Skipton for (apparently,...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 27th 13, 11:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Wainwrights Guides (Books): Boxed sets

On 26/11/2013 18:25, Phil Cook wrote:
On 26/11/2013 14:02, Allan wrote:
I want to give the boxed set to someone for Christmas who's just
embarked on the Wainwrights. I'm just a little...
Forum: Walking in the UK November 26th 13, 02:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Wainwrights Guides (Books): Boxed sets

I want to give the boxed set to someone for Christmas who's just
embarked on the Wainwrights. I'm just a little confused as to how many
boxed sets there are. I've seen a 50th anniversary set, a...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 30th 12, 10:57 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 19
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Repairing walking boots

On 28/10/2012 09:27, Phil Cook wrote:
On 28/10/2012 08:44, wrote:
Has any had a good pair of walking boots re-soled?

I've worn the tread completely flat on my nice...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 17th 12, 02:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Castleberg Sports in Settle: nice people

Just bought a rucksack Salomon Sky 30 at Castleberg Sports in Settle.
Paid advertised price 80 (like to support local business etc: realise I
could have got it cheaper on the net). Got home and...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 17th 12, 09:24 AM Posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Dales Way

On 16/09/2012 16:33, Stephan Bird wrote:
Hi all

I thought I had posted this to another place; but looking back I can't
find it and e-mails to the forum admins seem to disappear without...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 16th 12, 06:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
New footpaths to be created on Three Peaks route (Yorkshire Dales)

New footpaths to be created on Three Peaks route
Craven Herald 13th May 2012
http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/9699400.New_footpaths_to_be_created_on_Three_Peaks_route/

Two new sections of...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 29th 12, 08:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Pen-y-ghent cafe, Horton in Ribblesdale

Just heard from Matthew that his Mum died last week.
(hence the even more irregular opening hours than usual at this time of
year, for which he apologises).
Forum: Walking in the UK January 19th 12, 11:02 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 24
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Rescue co-ordinated by smartphone

On 18/01/2012 19:39, Geoff Berrow wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:53:58 GMT, Mike
wrote:

Apparently an App called SARLOC has been developed which can automate
the...
Forum: Walking in the UK January 9th 12, 08:59 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
tgo magazine forums: incorrect posting date / 10 years behind thetimes...

I wonder if this might shame them into doing something about it, or
reach someone who can.

http://forum.tgomagazine.co.uk/forum/

I've posted a couple of items on the tgo magazine forums recently,...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 14th 11, 12:22 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Protecting South Pennines & Peak District

Recent edition of Ramblers magazine ("Walk", Summer 2011, p. 15) had a
small insert about misuse of the park and moors; it provided a couple of
interesting websites for further...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 24th 11, 02:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 1
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Parking in Patterdale

Picked off another 5 Wainwrights yesterday (only 199 to go...)
Parked in Patterdale village.

First car park: Patterdale Hotel: 4.50/day (coin machine in car...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 13th 11, 12:17 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 1
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Lowe Alpine moves back to UK after buy-out by Rab owner

Lowe Alpine moves back to UK after buy-out by Rab owner
http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/07/11/lowe-alpine-moves-back-to-uk-after-buy-out-by-rab-owner
Grough, Monday 11 July 2011
Forum: Walking in the UK June 8th 11, 09:21 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Lambing time & dogs: salutary reminder

I was out walking this morning and saw the following sign attached to a
gate on Lambert Lane (part of the Pennine Bridleway on the Settle Loop)

"Please keep dogs on leads because my special...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 11th 11, 04:07 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Coast-to-Coast: public transport

On 11/05/2011 13:30, Terry Pinnell wrote:

Thanks both, very helpful. I'll follow up those suggestions thoroughly.
Settle-Carlisle sounds an attractive option. I've done short sections
before...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 11th 11, 12:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 20
Posted By Allan[_3_]
Tubular Fells (Lakes)

Just stumbled across this