Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.17 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Forum: Walking in the UK November 14th 15, 10:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Alport Castles

On 03/11/2015 14:31, Graham Seed wrote:
Went over to Fairholmes and Ladybower on Sunday - what a day. 1st
November and one of the best days of the year. Managed to get my lad
over to Alport...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 6th 15, 09:19 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

On 01/05/2015 13:25, Pierre Lavaurs wrote:
Le Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:19:19 +0100, Chris Gilbert a écrit :

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 15th 15, 01:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

He lives forever in my kill file but I must admit I did wonder how he
voted in the referendum. Given that mountaineering is so important
to the Scots I can imagine a future independant Scotland...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 15th 15, 01:37 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

A pleasure. It's great to see so many farmiliar names still kicking around
*and* still following the occasional post in here. I'm as guilty as
anyone else
of not posting anything but I felt that the...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 15th 15, 01:36 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

But you're still going, Gordon :) Inspirational ;)

On 14/04/2015 10:51, Gordon H wrote:
At 81, I'm down to a Ramblers 'D' group.
Forum: Walking in the UK April 15th 15, 01:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

He he. Nice one, Martin ! :D

On 13/04/2015 23:40, Martin Richardson wrote:
Hello all
I had no idea 20 years ago I would still be walking up hills - and certainly not the world over. Was here...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 13th 15, 09:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

On 12/04/2015 21:36, Tim Jackson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:27:21 +0100, Graham Seed wrote...

What happened to Paul then? Real life?

I recall that he dropped out quite some time ago,...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 12th 15, 09:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

Are you finally going to get to live near some hills, Nick ?

On 12/04/2015 11:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bob Douglas...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 12th 15, 09:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

He he. Good to see some farmiliar names :)

Bob, I think the group was created in March/April 1995. I know I
was still working at Nottingham at the time. The early stuff used to
still be in Deja news...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 11th 15, 11:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 27
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
20 years ?

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute
to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind ;)

Roll call.... ?

Chris
Forum: Walking in the UK October 23rd 13, 03:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Long walks with a small dog

On 23/10/2013 09:07, Malcolm wrote:

To my mind, it is much more the sort of thing that ought to be in a
blog rather
than a newsgroup.

Indeed. If you do look at the site you'll find it's...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 19th 13, 12:06 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 7
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Mountain Walks On The Isle Of Jura

On 18/10/2013 20:47, Malcolm wrote:

My point was just to clarify the wording on the website which could
indicate
to non-locals that you could get a trip from "local harbours" on Jura.

I can...
Forum: Walking in the UK October 18th 13, 09:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 7
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Mountain Walks On The Isle Of Jura

And also, under 'Gulf Of Corryvreckan And Whirlpool', where it says
that it is possible for tourists to visit the site by way of boat
trips from local harbours, all these harbours are on...
Forum: Walking in the UK May 3rd 13, 04:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 5
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Location of this photo?

On 03/05/2013 14:55, Terry Pinnell wrote:
But I tried entering that in TinEye, with no hits.

TinEye is rubbish compared to Google image search. I've never found
anything with it.

Chris
Forum: Walking in the UK October 19th 12, 12:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Puzzled

Can anyone cast any light on what the area is or was used for

Possibly prospecting the geology in advance of extending the windfarms ... ?

Chris
Forum: Walking in the UK September 16th 12, 07:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Dales Way

On 16/09/2012 16:33, Stephan Bird wrote:

Has anyone done the Dales Way (Ilkley - Windermere) - any
recommendations
on sites / guidebooks etc? Thanks Stephan

Camping or B&B ? I've done it...
Forum: Walking in the UK September 7th 12, 11:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 9
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Rather stupid people!

On 04/09/2012 21:37, robert wrote:
My wife walked the C2C earlier this year and was surprised by the
number of other C2C people who used guidebooks rather than maps

Or, indeed, a coffee-table...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 9th 12, 05:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
TR: Alport Dale

Would like to get all the way up to Bleaklow on it one day. I
imagine there will be a
few peat bogs at Grains in the Water. Anyone done it?

Yes, but what you find is that there have been...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 18th 12, 09:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 24
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Weather forecasts

On 18/04/2012 20:16, Tim W wrote:
are they worth anything?

It would be nice to think so but given that the predictive nature of the
algorithms used means that error increases over time I doubt...
Forum: Walking in the UK April 13th 12, 01:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Chrome Hill

Nice one!

Ta duck. Despite the weather ..or perhaps that should be because
of the weather.. there was a lot of really good light around yesterday.
Very photogenic.
Forum: Walking in the UK April 12th 12, 08:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 3
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Chrome Hill

One of my better efforts, for sure ....

http://chrisgilbert.photium.com/photo14208570.html
Forum: Walking in the UK March 27th 12, 07:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 0
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
ACCOMODATION IN THE PEAK DISTRICT

alison turnbull wrote:

How do people think we should link into walking groups to let them
know we have a twin room for rent to walkers ?

Hi Alison

There are two main websites that I...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 27th 12, 01:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 14
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
RE Glen Lochay

(Must admit to not having done it, but mainly I'm waiting for
conditions and timing to be right to do it on skis, for which it
seems ideal.)

I remember it being quite heathery all the way up...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 24th 12, 05:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 14
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
RE Glen Lochay

On 23/02/2012 23:39, Adam Lea wrote:

Is the boredom because the view isn't very good or because it is one
of those long trudges steadily uphill that sometimes seems to go on
forever?

I...
Forum: Walking in the UK February 21st 12, 02:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 37
Posted By Chris Gilbert[_4_]
Warning over decline in map skills as ramblers rely on sat navs

Gordon wrote

But that's where map-experience (?) comes in.

Certainly an ability to translate topography, I agree.

How local is local? I live about 5 miles from Wetton......

As the crow flies...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100