Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 1.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul Saunders
Forum: Walking in the UK July 24th 10, 01:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Geoff Berrow wrote:

I'm not a big fan of IrfanView

I am. When I was a teacher I wrote to him asking permission to use it
in school and he wrote back saying it was fine. Nice guy.

I'm not...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 23rd 10, 09:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Martin Richardson wrote:

Actually I was looking at my photos more closely last night and I
realised that many of them could have been improved if I'd slowed
down and spent more time over...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 23rd 10, 07:29 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Chris Morriss wrote:

Not really, Maplin do a range with switchable output voltages, from
15V to 21V, designed to power laptops from a car lighter socket.

I'd prefer to run it from a separate...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 23rd 10, 07:27 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Chris Morriss wrote:

The SSD upgrade was expensive, although SSD prices have fallen quite a
bit since I did the change. SSDs are very useful for a small laptop
that you might drop. Many...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 23rd 10, 07:22 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Bill Grey wrote:

My stationary time on my 14 hour Snowdon walk was around 7.5 hours,
and that was ALL due to photography! :-)

You could always increse your ISO setting and speed things up a...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 07:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Paul Saunders wrote:
Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is
a bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 01:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul Saunders
Wind turbine breaking

Gordon H wrote:

Don't make 'em like they used to, do they? ;-)
There's a whole collection of similar ones on You Tube, slightly
worrying isn't it?

Yeah. Best make a note not to walk near...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 12:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul Saunders
Suunto T4C Heart Rate Monitor

Dominic Sexton wrote:

That's an interesting device. I have used a Garmin Forerunner 305 for
the last four years to record my run and bike training. I use the
excellent Sporttracks freeware to...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 11:28 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Roger Chapman wrote:

My GPS recorded stationary time as 32 hours 54 minutes

32 hours! Did you mean 3 hours?

No. I meant 2 hours 54 minutes. My moving time was 5 hours 17 minutes.

Ah.
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 11:26 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is a
bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state drive
to replace the original small...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 11:21 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Martin Richardson wrote:

I have a little HP Mini 210. It quite happily runs Memory Map, Office,
Google Earth and MP3s. I can browse the internet using Firefox -
including YouTube. With an...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 11:15 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Bill Grey wrote:

Hi Paul, I have an ACER from PC World. Great for me to store
Picture2Exe shows and use for "Slide" Shows for the Gardening Club. Only
down side is the screen format. It is...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 11:12 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Fellwalker wrote:

its a Dell Inspiron, dunno about memory map. I might have tried to put
PhotoShop on it but you can only load it in one place at a time and it
would be s l o w. :-(

I wasn't...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 11:06 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Gordon H wrote:

I didn't realise that it was just a simple stride...

Quite a long stride, but it's not simple. Two problems, one is the sheer
cliff right next to them (which psychologically...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 10:55 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul Saunders
Wind turbine breaking

Just found a couple of videos of a wind turbine breaking in high winds:
http://youtu.be/c3FZtmlHwcA
http://youtu.be/CqEccgR0q-o

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 10:54 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Bill Grey wrote:

The quality of the video is very good, the exposure is a bit less
than what you would like, but then you are shooting against the sky.

Well done.

Thanks.

My G9 camera...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 10:24 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Bill Grey wrote:

It looks very cosy from inside the tent.

Yes it was.

From my recollection tou
weren't too far from when we camped there a couple of years ago.

Yep, but not against the wall...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 22nd 10, 10:09 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Martin Richardson wrote:

yeah, but are there any hills nearby?

Snowdon's just over the road.

I mean a proper hill - not one covered in tarmac.

Moel y Dyniewyd, belongs to the farmer.
Forum: Walking in the UK July 21st 10, 03:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Fellwalker wrote:
Following up to Paul Saunders

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around
1.2kg) with good battery life, but are underpowered and have very
small...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 21st 10, 01:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

Paul Saunders wrote:

I've just posted a short video on YouTube showing some people
stepping from Adam to Eve on the summit of Tryfan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BkmZF6pf0g

And here's...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 21st 10, 12:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

I've just posted a short video on YouTube showing some people stepping from
Adam to Eve on the summit of Tryfan. None of us though! Martin and Roger can
be heard talking in the background near the...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 21st 10, 12:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Saunders
Speaking of Notebooks...

Martin Richardson wrote:

To be 'on topic' wouldn't you have to be talking about banning dogs?

What have dogs got to do with walking? ;-)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
Forum: Walking in the UK July 21st 10, 11:59 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking

Martin Richardson wrote:

yeah, but are there any hills nearby?

Snowdon's just over the road.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
Forum: Walking in the UK July 21st 10, 11:58 AM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

andrew wrote:

In fact, were it not for the threat of rain I could
have left my rucksack behind and just taken a bum bag and my G9
compact in my top pocket.

How do you find this camera?...
Forum: Walking in the UK July 20th 10, 10:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.walking
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Saunders
10 Year Expedition Anniversary - Trip Report

I've just been browsing through the newsgroup messages circa July 2000, just
after the first expedition, primarily looking for my own trip report, and to
my annoyance, I can't find one! It seems...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100