Old January 24th 05, 07:00 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Titan1969 wrote:

Tony! How you doin', mang?

Al, your abs can be built better by crunches. Sit-up are ok but Ive
always gotten alot of lower back pain. When you crunch you only lift
your head/shoulder up.

Most people don't know that situps target your hip-flexors
rather than your abs.

Either you roll up, doing a light crunch and then just
holding it while your hip-flexors do all the heavy lifting,
or you stiffen your posture and hold your abs in one
position while your hip-flexors do even heavier lifting
(as your upper body has a higher moment of inertia in
that position).

Crunches are it.

It is a very short movement but should be done
slowly and squeeze your abs on the way up. Try to do 4 sets and as many
as you can each time. I do 1000 crunches 3-5 days a week for my
contests.

Type-I fiber workout for your midsection.

Do you ever do crunches with weights high enough to fail
at low reps? That would make a high-intensity ab workout
and get the type-II fibers to wake up, maybe give you a
little extra hypertrophy.

Do you do any sort of twisting during these crunches?
It would focus all the stress on one side, basically
increasing the weight while reducing the reps by half
per side, making another kind of intensity booster.

You dont need that many but at least try get to 4 sets of 100
5-7 times a week. The BIGGER problem will be your diet. If your not
eating very strictly you will never see your abs once they start to get
bigger. People always ask how to get good abs I always tell them diet.
They dont want to beleive this but thats the way the body stores fat is
around the midsection. It covers the abs and you will never see them
until you drop your BF% to 15% or less.

True endomorphs need to go into the low- to mid-single
digits to see the horizontal aponeuroses (flat
connective-tissue spaces between the muscle bellies)
instead of just dimples in the fat.

--Blair
"I'll be able to see through my skull
before my abs poke out."