Old May 27th 17, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tim Jackson[_2_]

Default Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:46:58 +0100, Graham Seed wrote...

You say that but English is much worse. My German friend pointed out
that the German language was fairly easy to follow as it was logical
whereas English was a minefield,

Some years ago I visted a German museum with a German friend, who was
translating the labels on various historical agricultural implements for
my benefit.

Eventually I realised what he meant by a "pluff".

Gaelic is fairly logical too once you know the rules.

So is Welsh. I was able to help a Canadian couple I once met half-way
up Corn Du in the Brecon Beacons. They pointed to Llyn Cwm Llwch on
their map and asked how on earth you could pronounce something with no
vowels. I explained that 'w' and 'y' are vowels in Welsh.

Mind you, I've no idea how the Welsh rules work to modify consonants at
the beginnings of words, e.g. fawr and mawr; fach and bach.

--
Tim Jackson
lid