Old November 30th 03, 06:01 AM

Default treadmill + elliptical or rowing machine???

"Rita" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:13:06 -0500, "Steve Freides"

wrote:

"Amy Fong" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I currently have a treadmill. I'm debating between getting an

elliptical
or a rowing machine for variety and to go easy on my joints. Any
recommendations?

It's easiest to do nothing at all.

If you learn how to take care of your joints and how to exercise with

good
technique, you can use any of these machines safely and with good

results.
If you learn how to strength train as a separate item from aerobic

training,
you will likely benefit in many ways. I see so many people with big

bellies
spending an hour a day on a treadmill, bicycle, or elliptical trainer -

such
training does not seem to help them.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

I would never knock aerobic exercise, but weight training reduced
fat and flab for me rather remarkably. I think a combo of some type
of aerobic exercise (but not necessarily an hour a day) and weight
training works best. The aerobic exercise benefits the heart and
that is the chief reason to do it. Do some weight training, with the
compound exercises, on a regular basis and you will see results.
If fat remains, then fewer calories is the only remaining answer.

I think Rita's advice is best - stay with your treadmill and add strength
training - that will give you huge benefits for weight loss, boost
metabolism - add valuable muscle