Old October 1st 03, 07:32 AM
Lee Michaels

Default Curvelinear correlations between total testosterone levels and fluid intelligence in men and women.

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message

1 wrote:

Curvelinear correlations between total testosterone levels and

fluid
intelligence in men and women.

Tan U, Tan M.

Department of Physiology, Medical Faculty, Ataturk University,

Erzurum,
Turkey.

The relationship between serum total testosterone (T) level and

fluid
intelligence (Cattell's Culture Fair Intelligence Test) was

studied in
young
men and women. There was no significant difference between IQs of

men
and
women. IQ tended to increase with T in men, except at very high T
levels. It
was concluded that (i) T may be associated with IQ, even in

samples
with
no
sex-related IQ difference; (ii) too low or too high T may be
disadvantageous
for fluid intelligence in women; (iii) T may be advantageous for

this
kind
of IQ in men, except very high T levels.

what is fluid intelligence?

Do you yahoo? I found this in 5 seconds.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?...20intelligence

i found something similar via google, but i wanted to check that it

meant
the same in this context.

why does T have an effect on it?

Why as in what purpose does it serve?
or
Why as in what's the mechanism?

Lyle

I meant what purpose does it serve, but it would also be interesting

know
what the mechanism is as well.

if I read it correctly, high levels of T are good for intelligence but
exceptionally high levels are bad.

I can understand that having higher levels of t would be good for

males
from
an evolutionary point of view, they would be bigger and stronger so

more
likely to be better hunters and protectors, but why does very high

levels
of
t make you less intelligent?

Cuz you would wanna fight and **** everything that moves.

you should write books on evolutionary psychology

Either that or write scripts for Hollywood action movies.