Old October 1st 03, 08:30 AM
Carnivore269

Default Curvelinear correlations between total testosterone levels and fluid intelligence in men and women.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message .net...
"1" wrote in message

"Lyle McDonald" wrote in message
1 wrote:

Curvelinear correlations between total testosterone levels and fluid
intelligence in men and women.

Tan U, Tan M.

Department of Physiology, Medical Faculty, Ataturk University,

Erzurum,
Turkey.

The relationship between serum total testosterone (T) level and fluid
intelligence (Cattell's Culture Fair Intelligence Test) was studied in

young
men and women. There was no significant difference between IQs of men

and
women. IQ tended to increase with T in men, except at very high T

levels. It
was concluded that (i) T may be associated with IQ, even in samples

with
no
sex-related IQ difference; (ii) too low or too high T may be

disadvantageous
for fluid intelligence in women; (iii) T may be advantageous for this

kind
of IQ in men, except very high T levels.

what is fluid intelligence?

Do you yahoo? I found this in 5 seconds.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?...20intelligence

i found something similar via google, but i wanted to check that it meant
the same in this context.

why does T have an effect on it?

Why as in what purpose does it serve?
or
Why as in what's the mechanism?

Lyle

I meant what purpose does it serve, but it would also be interesting to

know
what the mechanism is as well.

if I read it correctly, high levels of T are good for intelligence but
exceptionally high levels are bad.

I can understand that having higher levels of t would be good for males

from
an evolutionary point of view, they would be bigger and stronger so more
likely to be better hunters and protectors, but why does very high levels

of
t make you less intelligent?

Cuz you would wanna fight and **** everything that moves.

HTH

That, maybe...

You'd wanna work out more and be healthier.

Mexico is close enough to you, you have no excuse... ;-)

C.