Old April 23rd 16, 10:35 AM posted to rec.running
Sam Seagate

Default sudden return of plantar fasciitis

On 04/19/2016 01:11 PM, Beach Runner wrote:
On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 7:09:42 PM UTC-7, Sam Seagate wrote:
Ok, since some folks asked, here is the latest update after just over 8
months. After the plantar onset, I stopped walking until it healed and
it has basically taken this long. I tried about 4 different types of
inserts (Superfoot, Pinnacle, Walmart, etc) and doubling them up, but my
distance was still severely limited until the onset of the pain.

The good news is that I didn't gain much weight at all despite not being
able to walk, maybe 6 lbs and this varies by 3 lbs due to water weight.
So the task of losing the weight is much easier. Of course, I'm out
of shape cardiovascularly and it shows during the walks with the HR
jumping up a lot.

So, yesterday, after placing the Pinnacle inserts in my shoes, I started
walking again. I no longer plan on the 6.5-9 mi/ day walks like I used
to. As long as I manage to keep my weight steady, the most I will ever
walk for now on is 4 mi, but this won't be everyday. I may end up
alternating days of biking with walking, but I prefer to stick with
walking as long as I limit my distance this time.

Not much more to say other than folks wishing me luck maybe. I sure
don't want to end up with the fasciitis again and hope the shorter
distances, less total miles per week, and the inserts will do the trick.

Thanks again for all those who tried to help.

Sam

Inserts, really orthodics that don't match the shape of your foot, and compensate for your gait really won't do you much good.

Generally, podiatrists make molds of your feet, watch your gait, and make
hard orthodics. They are expensive and covered by insurance. They can help.
They need to be refurbished every few years.

Next, great chiropractors make orthodics, once again based on molds, and great ones watch your gait, and decide on specific features. The difference is these are flexible and use the natural motion of your feet. They have limited lifetimes.

Then something great and new has come out. The Walking Store, found in many
malls has a machine you walk on, it measures the exact shape of your foot,
exactly where your arch is, and also where the pressure your feet have. In addition, you walk through the sensor so it gets your gait. Then, based on all that they have great orthodics, that I've found are wonderful, and also, much
less expensive. I recommend trying them.

This information is what I was waiting to hear. Unfortunately, two days
out after a LONG recess from walking, and I could start to feel the pain
return to the affected foot. This is with my current shoes and Pinnacle
inserts. So that meant stopping walking once again and going back to
the bicycle, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel quite yet with
walking. I'm going to give your suggestion a try, visiting The Walking
Company. I'm assuming their machine is different from the Dr. Scholl's
machine Walmart uses as that one did me no good. Anyway, there's a store
about 25 mi away from me and I'll be visiting it soon and report back.
It's been nearly a week since I attempted any more speed walking and the
foot is back to normal. Luckily, I stopped soon enough this time that I
didn't end up missing any work, and I was able to carry on the normal
routines of life.

Thanks again and I'll report back soon.

Sam

All standard inserts do not match your specific feet.