Old February 3rd 04, 08:29 PM

Default Ironman Timex GPS Watch

Scott Williams wrote:
VITOdelapata wrote:
All of my runs involve hills and mountains. There are very few flat
spots to run. I measure out certain distances with my car, 12, 15 and 20
miles but would like a more accurate way to do this.

Important bit of info there. A GPS unit requires 4 signals to give you
credit for altitude gained or lost. Based on measurements I've taken
with my Timex, I'm thinking that it only catches 3 signals, as I come up
short on distance for my hilly workouts, and I'm a flatlander. It seems
to be remarkably consistent with my cyclometer (which is pretty
accurate) on the flats.

I'd be curious to know, in fact, how many signals the Timex uses.

I've heard three. That's anecdotal, however.

I keep eyeing the Garmin Forerunner 201 though, the price and
accuracy is pretty appealing.

-jeremy

Jeremy Hallum, System Manager , Astronomy, University of Michigan

"Audentis Fortuna Iuvat"