Old June 14th 04, 07:03 PM
BunnyKilla

Default Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats

Renee wrote:
I've been reading Krista's site and this newsgroup for a while, but
this is the first time I've posted. Since the end of February, I've
been regularly lifting weights at home two or three times a week. I
used to do squats with a pair of dumbells held to my chest. I made
sure my feet were flat to the floor, my knees didn't pass my toes,
back didn't round, and that I went below parallel. Last week, I bought
a barbell (it's 10 pounds), because I was squatting 40 pounds, and I
thought I should start doing the barbell ones. I guess the dumbells
helped balance me, because I kept falling over backwards with the bar.
Even when I try squatting by myself, I fall over. So, now I'm starting
over with just the bar. Are there any tricks I can use, or do I just
need to build up some other muscles?

Renee

The first thing you need to do is set up some safety equipment just in
case you fall with the loaded bar.

I always found squatting with an empty bar was harder to do than if you
had some weight in it too. I'd suggest adding a bit of weight to help
you balance, after your safety equipment has been set up!

bunnykilla