Old June 14th 04, 11:34 PM
Carl

Default Newbie question: moving from dumbell squats to barbell squats

(Renee) wrote in message . com...
I've been reading Krista's site and this newsgroup for a while, but
this is the first time I've posted. Since the end of February, I've
been regularly lifting weights at home two or three times a week. I
used to do squats with a pair of dumbells held to my chest. I made
sure my feet were flat to the floor, my knees didn't pass my toes,
back didn't round, and that I went below parallel. Last week, I bought
a barbell (it's 10 pounds), because I was squatting 40 pounds, and I
thought I should start doing the barbell ones. I guess the dumbells
helped balance me, because I kept falling over backwards with the bar.
Even when I try squatting by myself, I fall over. So, now I'm starting
over with just the bar. Are there any tricks I can use, or do I just
need to build up some other muscles?

Renee

That is way too light of a weight to be doing squats with (from past
experience). When I first started weightlifting I was squatting around
140lb's, but if you haven't got that much weight, then just make do
with what you have. I'm sure if you find it difficult, then it'll
work.