Old November 11th 03, 05:04 PM
Bill

Default Any good exercises to prevent injuries?

"Nordo" wrote in message
I've been jogging for about a month now and suddenly my knees are

bothering
me. I bought some new, fancy shoes, but the slight, nagging knee pains
still persists while I'm running. Also, my new shoes seem to be

aggrivating
my supposedly healed ankle injury from several months ago. Are there any
specific exercises I should be doing to reduce my knee/ankle pain and the
chances of other damage (other than stretches, or course)? I really enjoy
jogging and I'd hate to have to quit so soon by hurting my joints.

Thanks,
-Dan

Strengthen quadriceps, w. short-arc, one-legged squats, stepdowns, short-arc
leg extensions and isometrics.
For ankle, use a wobble board, or, practice the tree pose from hatha yoga.
Roll or massage all the leg muscles.
Run on natural, unpaved surfaces.
Learn to run quietly, and with little bounce.
Do not overstride.
Warm up for running by cycling, stepping, climbing, walking, slow running,
rowing, ....
Learn to stretch all muscles gently, especially hamstrings. Stretching,
without knowledge of how, often causes injury, however.

All of these have been covered exhaustively in rec dot discussions.
Go to rwforums.com to avoid trolls and select the injury forum.