Old April 16th 06, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Advice on walking shoes

Bitstring 63, from
the wonderful person Mark Thompson
[email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com said
So I'm thinking that my walking boots do not
support my feet in the right way for walking on hard, flat surfaces,
and possibly do not cushion my feet in the right way.

Consider some squidgy gel or foam insoles. They make a huge difference to me.

I'd second that, however you really need to buy your boots with that in
mind, since any useful thickness of foam (e.g. Sorbothane insoles) is
likely to kick you up a boot size (or else you'll get squished toes).
Thick socks (Smartwool, the thicker trekking ones) helps too.

However at the end of the day you are right - walking boots are not
really designed for miles on tarmac .. not only will your feet suffer,
but the soles will wear fast too. I'd try trainers (even cheap trainers
... not the 100 brand name models), unless you're going to be faced with
wet/mud/etc.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Google may be your friend, but groups.google.com posters definitely aren't.