Old August 6th 06, 07:48 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
[email protected]

Default bench press and overhead press question

Pez D Spencer wrote:
this is something i've always been curious about, and i've begun
thinking about a lot since i've started bench pressing again. i
eliminated straight bar flat bench presses from my workout routine back
in 1993 because i thought it was aggravating a nerve in my shoulder.

anyway, i've added flat bench back into my routine over the past month
and my shoulder seems to be handling it just fine.

my question is this: how hard does the straight bar flat bench hit the
shoulder musculature? i know it hits my front delts hard, but does it
hit the side delts?

Maybe it was just a temporary shoulder problem that needed time to heal
and it appears to have been fully healed. Anyways, benching hits the
pecs primarily, triceps secondarily, front delts tertiarily, lats
quaterniarily, grip muscles quinterniarily, and I don't think it hits
the side delts much if at all. Working on dumbbell overhead presses
will hit the side delts.

Anyways why was "overhead press" included in the title when there were
no mentions of either a military press, push press, behind the neck
press, dumbbell overhead press, or "olympic press"?