Old August 7th 06, 12:23 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Sag

Default bench press and overhead press question

Pez D Spencer ha escrito:

this is something i've always been curious about, and i've begun
thinking about a lot since i've started bench pressing again. i
eliminated straight bar flat bench presses from my workout routine back
in 1993 because i thought it was aggravating a nerve in my shoulder.

anyway, i've added flat bench back into my routine over the past month
and my shoulder seems to be handling it just fine.

my question is this: how hard does the straight bar flat bench hit the
shoulder musculature? i know it hits my front delts hard, but does it
hit the side delts?

Hit in a good or bad way? It would depend on your form; the typical
bodybuilding press (elbows flared out perpendicular to body, bar to the
neck/upper chest, flat back on bench) crippled my right shoulder.

Much better to do them with your back arched and tight, scapula
retracted, feet firmly on floor, elbows as close to your body as
possible, and bar as down your chest as possible. It doesn´t bother my
shoulder if I keep this form.

I don't think it affects medial delts too much; I do behind the neck
presses for shoulders, anyway.