Old June 20th 07, 03:11 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Tom Anderson

Default Looking for Advice on Beginning Weightlifting (Absolute Beginner)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Curt wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
Tom Nowalsky wrote:
I am looking for some friendly advice for an absolute beginner who is
interested in beginning strength training.

First of all, I am 35 years old, male, moderately overweight,

For my goals, I guess I would like to lose a lot of weight, but most
importantly, I would like to improve my health,

Does not compute. If you're moderately overweight, and want to lose
weight and improve your fitness, you don't want to begin strength
training. Rather, you need to do something that's primarily
cardiovascular, that will increase your energy output, to burn fat, and
push your heart and lungs to develop.

Tom (Anderson), if what Zinczenko (and anyone else without an orange-
covered book to hawk) offers is correct, the OP would gain muscle by
strength training which would then burn calories 24/7 versus
somethingsomething.

It isn't.

We've been over this before here - resting muscle does burn more energy,
but a tiny amount. 80% of your basal metabolic rate is the work done by
your organs, so even if you increased your muscle mass by 50%, you'd only
increase your BMR by 10%. To put another number on it, let me pluck from a
review on the matter [1] the value of 13 kcal/kg.day - add 10 kg of muscle
and you're only burning another 130 kcal a day.

tom

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...rch=1 1224660

--
Gotta treat 'em mean to make 'em scream.