Old June 20th 07, 10:35 PM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Jason Earl

Default Looking for Advice on Beginning Weightlifting (Absolute Beginner)

Tom Anderson writes:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Curt wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
Tom Nowalsky wrote:
I am looking for some friendly advice for an absolute beginner who is
interested in beginning strength training.

First of all, I am 35 years old, male, moderately overweight,

For my goals, I guess I would like to lose a lot of weight, but most
importantly, I would like to improve my health,

Does not compute. If you're moderately overweight, and want to lose
weight and improve your fitness, you don't want to begin strength
training. Rather, you need to do something that's primarily
cardiovascular, that will increase your energy output, to burn fat,
and push your heart and lungs to develop.

Tom (Anderson), if what Zinczenko (and anyone else without an
orange- covered book to hawk) offers is correct, the OP would gain
muscle by strength training which would then burn calories 24/7
versus somethingsomething.

It isn't.

We've been over this before here - resting muscle does burn more
energy, but a tiny amount. 80% of your basal metabolic rate is the
work done by your organs, so even if you increased your muscle mass by
50%, you'd only increase your BMR by 10%. To put another number on it,
let me pluck from a review on the matter [1] the value of 13
kcal/kg.day - add 10 kg of muscle and you're only burning another 130
kcal a day.

tom

We've also gone over how few calories 30 minutes of low intensity
cardio burns. It is likewise a pitiful number.

I would agree that increasing your BMI through the addition of more
muscle mass doesn't make that big of a difference, especially when you
first start adding lean mass. However, I *disagree* that standard low
level cardio is the answer to weight loss, as it also tends to be
ridiculously ineffectual.

If you are looking to change your body composition you need to lift
weights and do some sort of high intensity training (which probably
also should include weights). Barbell complexes are good, Tabata
intervals are good, etc.

Jason